Place to get GOOD toner at a reasonable price?

Nitrousbird

Have an HP LaserJet 1018 laser printer. The original toner it came with lasted forever; I printed a ton of pages, all of our wedding invitations / programs / thank you cards (all which looked better than the shit professionals were charging an arm and a leg for) - basically, I got my money's worth on the enitre printer with that single toner cartridge.

It runs out, buy a cheap E-bay special, didn't work at all (would jam paper every time, swapped it for the old cartridge and it worked flawlessly), and Paypal refunded me when the seller didn't care.

Bought a slightly more expensive one from E-bay, and worked fine, except I haven't printed that much and it is looking to be running out of toner again.

Who sells toner I can trust, at prices that don't break the bank? HP wants almost $80 - no thanks!

cartridge world seems to work good. You could try calling my company at 800-472-5844 (MT Business Technologies) and seeing what kinda price they can get you. You'll need to ask for the HP toner sales dept. You may also be able to order through our website at http://www.mtbt.com I've never looked, but I know contract customers can.

My uncle uses Rosewill at the law firm he runs the IT group for up in Cleveland, and he says they do pretty well. The reviews on NewEgg are all over the place, though, from "Just as good as OEM" to "Complete crap"

The reviews do seem to be all over. The price is pretty good @ $28 shipped. The Verbatim also has a good review, but @ $42 shipped. They do carry the HP brand for $61 shipped, and I have found a couple genuine HP's on E-bay for about $50 shipped. I'll have to think about it I guess. Especially when you look at Neweggs review on the HP brand toner - the only negative reviews are those complaining about the price.

Another thing you might consider is getting a refill kit. Unlike inkjets, laser toner is fairly easy to work with, and if you spill, it only takes a vacuum cleaner w/ HEPA filter to clean up.

I've heard inkjets and toner have predetermined fail/cutoff dates, where after you refill them it will say its low on ink and refuse to print or not print properly.

I've heard inkjets and toner have predetermined fail/cutoff dates, where after you refill them it will say its low on ink and refuse to print or not print properly.

A couple of manufacturers have tried to implement this, but the bad PR that resulted always blew up in their faces, and the "feature" quietly removed from later models. Personally, I'd just give the Rosewill and Verbatim carts a try... you can get one of each for less than one retail HP :)

• Upvote 1

This is somewhat correct, I work directly with re-manufactured toners and used to even rebuild them.

Even if they don't have a chip or mechanical gear system to render them inoperable after a certain number of prints, the parts are only designed to be run up to that point as well and then the cleaning system or imaging drum will start to fade. At most you'll get double yield from the original parts which isn't bad, but most re-manufacturers these days just replace all the parts and start with new good parts.

You could buy the drum, cleaning, blade/brush, PCR roller, and toner from the internet and rebuild your own, but it would be messy and hard to do your first one. And probably not worth it.

Yep, just started buying toner from Monoprice for my office ($140 for the HP one at Staples, $20ish for the one at Monoprice). I bought off eBay for about a year but I never received one set of toners and before that the quality was wavering a bit (some of the toners would come with the chip that tracks how many pages you've printed/how much toner you have left, some wouldn't). The Monoprice toners all have the chips and I've bought stuff from them for years now.