House is abnormally cold all of a sudden, help?

Diamonds

I am a newer home owner and i woke up today and my house was freezing.

The thermostat was set to 70 degrees but the actual temp was looming at 64 degrees.

warm air is still blowing consistently out of the floor vents.... and for the last 2 months the temp has been perfect with what we set the thermo to.... but now its like 6 degrees colder.

Is this typical for january weather? I never had a problem in november or december.

help.

correct^^^

i set it to 70 last night, woke up, and it said it was 64 inside the house... i got the "temp up" button and it resumed at 70 and went to 71....

purely a "here's what I want the house temp to be"g... but "its not gettin that warm" result.

Same here. Though I've got a small apartment. I realized I was a lot colder than normal and saw that my apt was about 6 degrees colder than it usually is. Though, personally, I blame the crappy construction. This place bleeds heat like crazy. Snow will melt on the ground within 4" of the outer wall.

Not to scare you but my furnace started doing that before I had to have it worked on. The fan burned out on it. It was still blowing hot air but the air flow was a lot less than it was suppose to be.

Try to insulate some windows and see if that helps. Being cold outside can do that with poor insulation or a cracked window somewhere.

Oh, forgot to add the furnace was making a whining noise.

Has the house warmed up now? Could be the thermostat was stuck and just kicked on soon after you woke up. I had that happen on our house - for some reason it had an old-school slider style thermostat when we bought it (house built in 04) - maybe because heat pump thermostats are slightly more expensive, I dunno. But it jammed up and caused this problem, and the problem of the house getting too freaking hot.

Make sure you are getting good airflow out of all of your vents. Check the air filter as well. Obviously make sure you don't have any doors/windows open.

Beyond that, you could have a more severe problem. Or you could have my problem of having all electric and $400+ winter bills to AEP. :(

Has the house warmed up now? Could be the thermostat was stuck and just kicked on soon after you woke up. I had that happen on our house - for some reason it had an old-school slider style thermostat when we bought it (house built in 04) - maybe because heat pump thermostats are slightly more expensive, I dunno. But it jammed up and caused this problem, and the problem of the house getting too freaking hot.

Make sure you are getting good airflow out of all of your vents. Check the air filter as well. Obviously make sure you don't have any doors/windows open.

Beyond that, you could have a more severe problem. Or you could have my problem of having all electric and $400+ winter bills to AEP. :(

your high energy costs arent all from electric heat, its because you have a large sq/ft house. mine is just under 1400 sq/ft and between gas and electric in the winter, its about $210. in the summer, electric is more and gas is less, but its usually only 30-40 bucks less

i would venture to say your house is AT LEAST 2x the sq/ft of mine, so 400 isnt bad to heat a house that big. if it was gas, you'd probably be looking at $300 for that alone, plus electric...it all evens out. i would think that a house built in 04, they would have used a fairly efficient electric furnace

Make sure to keep an eye on the filter and replace before it gets too dirty. I was a couple of months off the normal schedule of changing mine and it ended up damaging one of the sensors inside the furnace, which was only a year or so old.

Check the air filter as well.

culprit was the filter! toasty home!!

:)

+1, I do believe this is also the recommended replacement rate for the cheap filters.

Depends if you have a flat style filter or the big box style filters.

your high energy costs arent all from electric heat, its because you have a large sq/ft house. mine is just under 1400 sq/ft and between gas and electric in the winter, its about $210. in the summer, electric is more and gas is less, but its usually only 30-40 bucks less

i would venture to say your house is AT LEAST 2x the sq/ft of mine, so 400 isnt bad to heat a house that big. if it was gas, you'd probably be looking at $300 for that alone, plus electric...it all evens out. i would think that a house built in 04, they would have used a fairly efficient electric furnace

3267 + ~1800 of unfinished basement (and another ~600 of crawl space), but we keep all the basement vents shut off. 1/2 the 1st floor is also 18' ceilings, so I'm sure that doesn't help either. 1.5 year old 5 ton heat pump with all new lines/condensor using Puron (I guess that is the "green" refrigerant - never heard of it before getting the new heat pump). Still just feels like a lot of money to heat a newer home, especially when my summer bill is usually high 100's to low 200's.

Our apartment gas furnace did that the other day.

There is a red LED you can see through this little plexi window on it, and it was flashing. Basically said that if it misfires or something itll reset itself then try again. If it fails to, it will not restart again for 3 hours.... Now it can get pretty chilly in a 3 hour window.

Mine ended up refiring just fine, as I think I was asleep for 2.5 hours of the 3 lol.

No idea what furnace you do have, but thats just my experience recently... New filter too