New or really close to new laptop for $300?

Buck531

Anyone have any places to look online for a new or very close to new laptop? Not real specific on the specs, it would be for my son to upgrade his PIII Dell C610 :). PC.. not a mac.

Is it possible to buy a new laptop for $300 or close to that?

I'm not reading all that. and I guess you failed to read. no mac. :rolleyes:

I hate Apple as much as the next guy. Although if I was buying a Lap. for my (teenage) son it would be a Mac: Teens and (Windows) Viruses go hand-in-hand. Keep in mind all a haXor needs is a foothole into your network, then ur basically fucked.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+-+Presario+Laptop+/+AMD+V-Series+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+2GB+Memory+/+250GB+Hard+Drive+-+Basic+Black/1271897.p?id=1218245812097&skuId=1271897

I'm pretty sure that's the same one she's got. No complaints.

The Tuttle store has it right now. Dunno if you will find anything closer.

Micro center always has factory refurbs and open box specials on laptops that you can get for exactly that price. Don't be scared of refurbs they were rebuilt by the factory and they still carry waranties. Look at micro center .com and pull down the closeout deals tab. I've bought several of them over time.

bump this back up. Would you purchase a refurbished laptop? and why? (yes/no? )

Yes / to save money.

Off lease stuff is a great way to go as well. Microcenter sells off-lease stuff, but it is overpriced compared to what you can get online elsewhere. Most of that stuff is business class, but business class laptops are generally nicer stuff. They aren't as flashy, but tend to be built a little more solid.

I scored my wife a mint (and I mean MINT) condition 2 GHz Core 2 Duo HP Business class laptop, 2 GB ram, 15.4" screen, for $240 shipped. I could have went cheaper yet if I was willing to sacrifice a bit more on the video card.

bump this back up. Would you purchase a refurbished laptop? and why? (yes/no? )

Depending on the warranty/software package - maybe. Problem with refurb's is you don't know how many hours are on them and what the initial damaged component was.

I'd just spend the extra $100-$150 and get a new Dell - You can get great deals from there website (at times). Downside is you have to wait 2-3 weeks for them to assemble/ship it.

Got this Inspiron for like $425 a few years back - love it.

http://i53.tinypic.com/kehs1z.jpg

Edited by acklac7