F-150 EcoBoost Torture Test Tear Down

CRAWDAD

If you have been following the Ecoboost Torture test, this the tear down of the motor. After the test it was put back on the engine dyno and only dropped 1hp and 0tq.

3 videos about 15min a piece.

vid 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG6xZ3e4_pI&feature=channel

vid2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L8rEGAGMJg&feature=channel

vid3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG2d_Y1bmKI&feature=channel

A guy posted this he had a good point but I can tell you this I will be buying one soon thats for sure !!!!!! go FORD

I was hoping this video would be hosted by Mike Rowe and have the same production value as the rest of the videos. I am A technical guy and all but to be honest these videos were dry and tedious. Good to see the engine held up so well. One thing that I think they reiterated to much was the 165000 miles in the first video they "simulated" 150000 miles on the dyno what does that mean? I honestly believe the engine is good. I do wonder how it would have held up if it had actually been driven 165k

I am diehard ford and am impressed with the engine to the point if I could I would put one in my cougar over my 393. BUT I feel that this is a little misleading in that mileage is not the only thing that is hard on a engine time is murder as the seals and gaskets dry and such.Things go south quick time will tell if this is as good as it looks today. That being said the numbers they are getting from a v6 is awsome and makes me wonder why we don't have a ecoboost 5.0 making 600hp :)

I am diehard ford and am impressed with the engine to the point if I could I would put one in my cougar over my 393. BUT I feel that this is a little misleading in that mileage is not the only thing that is hard on a engine time is murder as the seals and gaskets dry and such.Things go south quick time will tell if this is as good as it looks today. That being said the numbers they are getting from a v6 is awsome and makes me wonder why we don't have a ecoboost 5.0 making 600hp :)

No kidding a ecoboost 5.0 making 600 would be Great !!! I feel you will see this fall into a mustang soon

I want to see similar tests done to a regular Civic engine or something. Beat the shit out of it in a controlled environment for “160,000 miles” and I bet you get similar results because 10-15 years of aging won’t be factored in. All of the parts will still only be a week old and freshly bolted together from the factory.

That was a great marketing thing. The tear down was dry as toast with those engineers. I agree with what everyone is saying here about time as a factor.

I took the top end off my 1991, 130k mile toyota turbo engine and the pistons looked fine. I just re did the head and put it back on. Only took it off because I broke 2 exhaust studs off. My engine makes 100hp per liter while this EcoBoost engine, 20 years later, is only 20% more.

One thing that I think they reiterated to much was the 165000 miles in the first video they "simulated" 150000 miles on the dyno what does that mean?

In any testing scenario where you want to test to the life of a product you almost always do an accelerated life test.

You want to test a part for corrosion? You don't put it in regular atmosphere for the useful life of the part. That would take years vastly lengthening the overall design time! You put it in some really nasty chemicals that cause corrosion for a much shorter time.

You want to test an engine for 150kmi? You don't put it into a car and run it for 150kmi. At 60mph that would take 2500 hours, or almost 105 days of non-stop driving. To be more like the real world you would run the engine through cycles just as if you were driving it in your car. The average speed would probably be more like 40-45mph. Those engine dyno cells cost millions, so that's not a good use of the time. You do things to speed up the process, like run it at WOT, run it very cold and very hot. If yo do this right it simulates the stress that an engine would typically, or maybe worst case, see over 150kmi.

A production EcoBoost V-6 engine, serial number 448AA, was randomly selected off the assembly line at Ford’s Cleveland engine plant. The dual-overhead-cam power plant was shipped to dynamometer cell 36B in the Ford Dearborn engine labs and run for 300 hours to replicate the equivalent of 150,000 customer miles, including repeated temperature-shock runs when the engine was cooled to minus 20 degrees Fahrenheit and then heated to 235 degrees.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/01/what-the-inside-of-a-torture-tested-ecoboost-v-6-looks-like.html