indoor running tracks in town?

evan9381

what places have indoor tracks that arent super short? im trying to start running, for a couple possible employment opportunities i may have or am interested in going for, and just to get into shape a bit more...

i go to the gahanna Y, and its a small track, constantly turning and cant get a straight away thats more than ~15-20m or so. ...its 17 laps for 1 mile...not to mention, it circles the whole work out area, and theres 2 main areas people cross it to work out, and can get in the way...and its hardly wide enough to fit 2 people so passing is sometimes a PITA...someone said the one off karl road is longer, and when i just called, he said it was 13 laps for a mile. i cant find anything on the Ys website that tells the distance of the tracks of any of the gyms

im not really expecting an indoor 1/4 mile track, but something a little longer would be good. im not interested in the treadmill because i can set it on a speed and know im going to hit my target...i want to be able to get to the point that i can hit my target not knowing until im done.

invest in some running clothes. go outside. I wouldn't recommend running in anything colder than 25 F.

yeah, im a new runner...trying to get used to running and propelling myself forward (ie, not the treadmill) first...once it warms up a bit, ill probably be ready to start running outside.

yeah, im a new runner...trying to get used to running and propelling myself forward (ie, not the treadmill) first...once it warms up a bit, ill probably be ready to start running outside.

Most serious runners regard running on a treadmill @ 1% incline as sufficient to simulate outdoor running. I actually find after doing this, running outside is easier.

yeah, ive heard that too...i just dont want to get into that habit of "ok, gonna set this at 7.5mph and do my 1.5mi in 12:00" and then get on the ground and have no idea if im on pace to hit that mark. if i can run on a track and eventually outside and time myself and know what it should feel like to get to that point...plus, a treadmill wont take into account that theres probably going to be periods in my run where im going slower or faster than the pace i need to be at.

yeah, ive heard that too...i just dont want to get into that habit of "ok, gonna set this at 7.5mph and do my 1.5mi in 12:00" and then get on the ground and have no idea if im on pace to hit that mark. if i can run on a track and eventually outside and time myself and know what it should feel like to get to that point...plus, a treadmill wont take into account that theres probably going to be periods in my run where im going slower or faster than the pace i need to be at.

for the type of running you need to be doing, you should worry too much about times, etc. running on perceived effort is what you need to do.

too off topic but idk about any local tracks, etc. sorry.

Try the fieldhouse for whatever school district your in. Westerville(if you have a westerville address) supposedly has a large community rec center. W go to th eReynoldsburg fieldhouse every once in awhile. Unfortunately you have to have a reynoldsburg addy to get in.

urban is pretty short. if you know anyone at otterbein get em to let you in the rike center. 200m indoor. that or capital.

i looked into this rike center thing, and it looks pretty sweet...it says

"Entry Rules - All current Cardinal Card holders may use the Clements Recreation & Fitness Center and Rike Center. Entrance to both Centers is gained by swiping a Cardinal Card at the Clements Recreation Center front desk followed by admittance by the Recreation Assistant on duty. It is important that everyone present their card or admission may be denied.

Guest Policy - Any member of the Otterbein community who has an active Cardinal Card may bring one "non-family" guest into the Clements Recreation & Fitness Center or an unlimited number of "family-members". The guest(s) will be registered under the card holder and is expected to abide by the same rules and regulations. The card holder must be present with his or her guest at all times."

so, my question is, any idea if all alum have this "cardinal card" or is it just for current students and staff? and since it makes it seem like the 2 centers are connected, if i were able to find some way to get in to this place, can i mosey on over to the track at the rike center or is there a check point of some sort between the two that would limit guests to just the clements rec center?

you're probably gonna run a lot quicker than me. lol. but ill probably take you up on that offer. any idea how long the track is there?

not a clue, well just run til we pass out, it doesnt matter how fast or far, you just wana get your blood pumping

i looked into this rike center thing, and it looks pretty sweet...it says

"Entry Rules - All current Cardinal Card holders may use the Clements Recreation & Fitness Center and Rike Center. Entrance to both Centers is gained by swiping a Cardinal Card at the Clements Recreation Center front desk followed by admittance by the Recreation Assistant on duty. It is important that everyone present their card or admission may be denied.

Guest Policy - Any member of the Otterbein community who has an active Cardinal Card may bring one "non-family" guest into the Clements Recreation & Fitness Center or an unlimited number of "family-members". The guest(s) will be registered under the card holder and is expected to abide by the same rules and regulations. The card holder must be present with his or her guest at all times."

so, my question is, any idea if all alum have this "cardinal card" or is it just for current students and staff? and since it makes it seem like the 2 centers are connected, if i were able to find some way to get in to this place, can i mosey on over to the track at the rike center or is there a check point of some sort between the two that would limit guests to just the clements rec center?

The Rike is usually open, but there are events going on there a lot, esp right now that it is Basketball season. Alumni don't have access unless they are an O-Club donor.

In the winter I either run on the treadmill{switching inclines} or I bundle up and hit up Blacklick Woods Park{4 mile loop, or you can can start in the middle}. Getting all bundled up seems to excite me before I have to run. It makes it seem like an adventure. Best of luck w/ your running, I started about 2 years ago and love it!

i got on the treadmill today and did 2x 5 min jog @ 7mph and 1min walk at a 1% incline. i was supposed to do 4 but i thought i was about to die. lol. ill get there eventually. a while back i started jogging, then stopped, but i was at like 2.25mi in ~18 min.