Educate me on the gas bill "budget" plan.

Diamonds

i have been on the "budget" plan for gas and electric since i have owned my home. it is exactly what you described. at the end of your 12 month payment cycle, you either owe, or have a "refund". if you have a "refund" they just credit your account until you are caught up.

tom

When I had Columbia Gas, they put me on the budget plan (without my permission). I would rather just pay what I owe, so I would just pay the true balance and ignore the budget plan, and they never said a word about it.

IMO the budget plan is good for someone on a very fixed income, but otherwise just pay what you owe and be done with it. Usually your lower bills will be when you want to have spare play money anyway (at least for me it has been).

IMO the budget plan is good for someone on a very fixed income, but otherwise just pay what you owe and be done with it. Usually your lower bills will be when you want to have spare play money anyway (at least for me it has been).

this is how i have always looked at it. i know my electric will be alot higher in the winter for a few months but i would rather pay it now and have that extra when the weather permits and its time to get the car out and play.

We are on the budget plan.

It seems, they add up the total volume you used last year, assume you will use the same this year, divide by 12, multiply by the current rate, and there you go. At the end of the year, if you used more, and owe more, you get a bill. If you used less, you get a credit. The next year, your budget is adjusted again, and it starts over.

FWIW - Our Budget is $75, down from $90 last year. I made several modifications between the two years to help in heat retention.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

You can budget yourself. Just average your bills for a year and pay that amount all year round. I always go into winter with a $400 or so credit and come out of winter about even.