Looking for a new daily

wagner

I am trying to get my myself in a better position money wise. The ultimate goal is to save money for a house and what comes with it.

Right now it looks like I can save a good chunk of money by knocking some $$ of my car payment. I want to only finance $13000 and really not much more.

I am looking at something small, good on gas, and low miles if possible. My list so far is.

1. Yaris

2. Fit

3. Scion XD

4. Corola (maybe)

Anybody have other ideas? Try to keep this useful.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not a smaller truck? You can actually get some use out of it. Hell for $13K, you can snag a clean truck with 4 wheel drive.

Thought about it, but not sure if the gas milage will be there. Got any examples?

It also needs to be a reliable car too. I really don't want to worry .tons of issues

Since the main point of this new purchase is financial savings, is spending 13k really necessary?

For 5-8k you could find a very nice car and save a big chunk of change.

Examples of these cars? I don't want to buy something and then be spending a bunch of money to keep it going.

Thought about it, but not sure if the gas milage will be there. Got any examples?

It also needs to be a reliable car too. I really don't want to worry .tons of issues

V6 F150, upward of 05' or even any GM truck with the 4.3 V6. I'll see if I can find numbers, but they're not as bad as the V8 trucks. Reliable, you can haul stuff, and you can get 4 wheel drive and get around in bad weather.

I wish I had something usefull to add here, but the 3 Toyotas and a Honda you list are such generic little cars. I'd rather drive a beater without a payment, or just payoff your Element and pay a little in upkeep. Either way it would be cheaper to not buy a newer car.

I wish I had something usefull to add here, but the 3 Toyotas and a Honda you list are such generic little cars. I'd rather drive a beater without a payment, or just payoff your Element and pay a little in upkeep. Either way it would be cheaper to not buy a newer car.

Thought about the beater, don't have the money to buy a car outright like that. This is why I have to finance it.

Getting somethign with a lower payment will save me money over what I am paying on the element.

V6 F150, upward of 05' or even any GM truck with the 4.3 V6. I'll see if I can find numbers, but they're not as bad as the V8 trucks. Reliable, you can haul stuff, and you can get 4 wheel drive and get around in bad weather.

My Silverado has the 4.3 V6 and it doesn't hold a candle mileage wise to the cars he listed. It gets somewhere in the low 20s with me driving.

If you want to look at trucks I guess the only thing close to what Wagner is looking for would be a Tacoma or whatever Nissan's little truck is. These vehicles make me :barf:

I am with the "buy a beater" crowd. Buy something for a few thousand even if you have to finance it just to get you back and forth. It feels kind of crappy driving a junker but when you pull into your own garage with it, the feeling kind of goes away. It took me a long time to figure out that I had to sacrifice a little to get to where I wanted with buying a house. Looking back, driving a beater was well worth the payoff.

Examples of these cars? I don't want to buy something and then be spending a bunch of money to keep it going.

2003 Acura TL with about 60k miles

2004 TSX with 80k miles

2005 Buick Lacross with 35k miles

2006 Ford Fusion with 26k miles

Honda fit/civic/accord

Toyota corolla/camry/yaris/scion etc

VW golf/jetta

Tons of cars man.

This is using 10k as the max price, so expect to pay about 8k for the vehicles. Just looked at the lowest mileage examples to give you ideas of price.

If you could pick up a quality I4 manual Ford Fusion with under 50k for 8k, that would be my vote (besides VW).

My Silverado has the 4.3 V6 and it doesn't hold a candle mileage wise to the cars he listed. It gets somewhere in the low 20s with me driving.

If you want to look at trucks I guess the only thing close to what Wagner is looking for would be a Tacoma or whatever Nissan's little truck is. These vehicles make me :barf:

I really don't want a truck, beside I get a truck it will be something that can tow.

Thought about the beater, don't have the money to buy a car outright like that. This is why I have to finance it.

Getting somethign with a lower payment will save me money over what I am paying on the element.

How much longer do you have on the Element? Maybe you could just refinance it, pay for the timing belt ect, and lower your payment.

They ain't pretty, but atleast have a function to them.

2008 F-150 - 14 city/20 hwy mpg

2008 Silverado - 15 city/20 hwy mpg

I've heard better squeezed out of both of the V6 trucks.

If by function, you mean being able to throw stuff in the bed, sure. Not much function in the small cab, or lack of real storage space that a rear seat and trunk/hatch provides.

Pretty good value though, the chevy's look good and for around 11k. Not bad for a 3 year old truck.

buy a beater, its the best investment so far, i keep wanting a tbss or a tahoe but not having to make a payment and being able to get the toys and vacation time means more to me than looking good going to work. gl with whatever you do, but the beater option is the best bet

I know my wife and I are re-prioritizing our financial lives as well, which means her next vehicle in about 15 months will be paid for with about a 5k downpayment, and a 12 month loan. Total vehicle price will be 10k. No more long terms OR buying new. The value of used cars is too high to justify new car prices.

i found multiple 2010 fusion v6 6spd auto's (which my wifes v6 6spd auto mazda 6 is very similar) and it pulls down mid 20's avg.. high 20's on the highway

there are tons on auto trader for the 13-14k range fresh off of leases.30-50k miles... alot of miles on a car, but its damn near new, seemed like you could have your pick of white, beige, or black in that price range.