wagner

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heart my 2.5rs subaru 07 with 55k

Never skips a beat,

Yet...just wait for it.

Brian, consider a couple things. If you don't want maintenance charges for things like timing belts, then consider picking a car that has a timing chain instead. This will assist you in narrowing your search down.

The Sub 10K cars can be good, but just remember that most 2nd owner cars meaning the people that have the car after the original 2 year from new lease owners tend to keep them right up until it needs that major timing belt service, or that expensive spark plug service.

I wish we were ready to sell Erica's Civic, it fits your criteria really well. It has 58K miles, 60K service is already done, timing chain motor, etc.. I don't think she is quite ready to sell it yet, but I don't know for sure when she will be.

This is crossle btw, to lazy to log out and re-type/paste this post lol.

A "beater" completely defeats the entire reason for him to buy another car. He doesn't want to be nickle and dimed on stupid shit obviously which is what a beater does, unless you do the "drive it into the ground" method which again is totally useless to the situation.

He can get a perfectly good, well maintained car that won't have stupid little issues. This is of course taking into consideration that we cannot predict the unpredictable expenses that come with car ownership.

Or you can just buy cars with non interfere engines like Toyota. My brother's Tacoma was well into 150k miles before the timing belt let go. Slap a new one on and keep driving.

Yet...just wait for it.

Brian, consider a couple things. If you don't want maintenance charges for things like timing belts, then consider picking a car that has a timing chain instead. This will assist you in narrowing your search down.

The Sub 10K cars can be good, but just remember that most 2nd owner cars meaning the people that have the car after the original 2 year from new lease owners tend to keep them right up until it needs that major timing belt service, or that expensive spark plug service.

I wish we were ready to sell Erica's Civic, it fits your criteria really well. It has 58K miles, 60K service is already done, timing chain motor, etc.. I don't think she is quite ready to sell it yet, but I don't know for sure when she will be.

Yet...just wait for it.

A "beater" completely defeats the entire reason for him to buy another car. He doesn't want to be nickle and dimed on stupid shit obviously which is what a beater does, unless you do the "drive it into the ground" method which again is totally useless to the situation.

He can get a perfectly good, well maintained car that won't have stupid little issues. This is of course taking into consideration that we cannot predict the unpredictable expenses that come with car ownership.

Thanks for the info Sean, that is why I am leaning towards the Yaris. Those have timing chains and I really can't find many issues with them.

Get a beater......Ford Focus or something else recommended that you can pay cash for or pay off in 3-4 months.... ;)

Love seeing people taking control of there financial lives and at an early age... http://www.daveramsey.com/home/ :cool:

I have read part of his book and have friends that are really into him. My goal is to put myself into a position someday where I can do what MKV is doing. Right now I can't, I have to finance it, and for longer than I want. That is the situation I am in, no way around it.

So I am good to go with well maintained Toyota products and the Fit. What about the XD's? Do those have the same driveline as the Yaris or Corola?

Yes Scott they are boring little easy on gas cars, but I need a utility car that won't give me issues. I would much rather get some of the cars you and I have talked about...

The Yaris I drove around as a rental was ugly, but I have to admit from a stop light the thing had some torque, But once you hit 25 it falls on it's face. It was light years better to drive than my Mom's Prius.

I found a couple of 5 speeds that are close to what I want to spend. The 5 speeds help that flat feeling a little.

little more than you wanted to spend but its a hybrid and your not driving a gay prius

http://www.thecarcompanyonline.com/vehicle_inventory.php?task=readmore&id=2212&vehicle=2009-Toyota-Camry-Hybrid-4-DOOR-SEDAN

never posted a link.

Edited by John Bruh

Mazda Protege5 if you can find one cheap. One of my favorite small cars in terms of fun and utility.

Hondas and Toyotas hold their value too well for my liking. I'd look at an SX4 or a Focus hatch from before they got ugly. Astras are also relatively cheap now, although I've never found them all that compelling. Maybe an Elantra, although they're a bit beige.

A Miata if you want something fun and don't care about practicality.

For Civics what is "good" for years and miles?

I would say '92-'00, because they are like Legos. A lot of interchangable parts, lots of after market parts, and most of the time very cheap.

Here's one from Mr. JB

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89247

The only thing I would be afraid of the Civic is the rear fender rust (I don't know anything about bodywork).

I would say '92-'00, because they are like Legos. A lot of interchangable parts, lots of after market parts, and most of the time very cheap.

Here's one from Mr. JB

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89247

The only thing I would be afraid of the Civic is the rear fender rust (I don't know anything about bodywork).

Thanks for the info, that car has been beat on and not what I am looking for.

I am looking for info on when it comes to years, what is high miles? Is it the classic 12k per year?

I can find civics that are over the 12k per year all day long, is that a problem?

What about 04 and up civics?

I have narrowed it down to Fits, Yaris, and Civic.

Thank you to those who have actually contributed something useful to this thread. Maybe others can use it in the future.

I wouldn't really be concerned with mileage on a honda/acura, especially if they've got maintenance records.

I've had everything from a 95 integra w/ 235k miles to a 98 civic w/ 130k. Both got 30-35mpg regularly, didn't require anything but routine stuff.

I've heard the 2001-2004 had tranny issues w/ the autos, but otherwise not much.

I'd pick up a 96-00 civic personally, and drive it until the wheels fall off. There was a clean silver 4 door on cl a week or two ago, 102k, original owner, all maintenance records, $3500obo, not sure if it sold yet.

I wouldn't really be concerned with mileage on a honda/acura, especially if they've got maintenance records.

I've had everything from a 95 integra w/ 235k miles to a 98 civic w/ 130k. Both got 30-35mpg regularly, didn't require anything but routine stuff.

I've heard the 2001-2004 had tranny issues w/ the autos, but otherwise not much.

I'd pick up a 96-00 civic personally, and drive it until the wheels fall off. There was a clean silver 4 door on cl a week or two ago, 102k, original owner, all maintenance records, $3500obo, not sure if it sold yet.

Thanks for the info. I have found TONS of Civics from 05-08 in the 45k-75K range and was not sure if that would be an issue.