PC Help - Sandybridge Recall - What can I do

TTQ B4U

Okay, so I'm ready to pull the trigger on my new PC Build. Was looking at an Intel Core i7 2600 or even the previous gen i7 950.

Decided on the newer 2600 but read/heard about the motherboard chipset recall impacting the P67 or H67 chipset & their Sata 3 ports.

Long story short, what the hell can I buy this weekend that will work? Are the P67 and H67 chipsets all that supports the above CPU's?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0347337

insight appreciated.

The next gen chips are 1155, and the older stuff is 1156. That mobo is great and all, but wont cut it for the new stuff.

Now, the recall doesn't seem to be all that bad. They say it will only affect a small amount of users, and over the period of years. Even then you can use the other SATA controller to keep the system going while waiting for a replacement board. You could go right ahead and buy one of the boards if you can find them somewhere, and rumors are there wont be shipments of fixed boards until april.

Personally I think you should get one of the affected sandy bridge boards and if the SATA hits the fan just RMA it through the manufacturer. Sandy bridge is worth it.

Don't have linkage handy, but from what I remember of the announcement, it only affects the third and higher SATA ports. So if all your have is a single hard drive and a single optical, no problem.

I found the details as that too, but unfortunatly/fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I will run way more than the typical two ports full of stuff. I will start with two but will likely add more HD's and I do run dual optical drives.

I updated my build thread as I pulled the trigger tonight.

1. Case: ThermaltakeV4 Black Edition with (4) Additional Silenx iXtrema Pro 120mm 1,200rpm fans

2. Processor: Core i7-950 3.06GHz

3. Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Socket 1156 Heatsink

4. MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 LGA 1366 X58 ATX w/7.1 Surround Sound

5. Memory: 12GB Corsair DDR3-1600

6. Video Card: ATi Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5

7. PSU: Coolermaster Extreme Power Plus 700W ATX

8. Drive 1: WD 600GB VelociRaptor 10,000 RPM SATA 6.0Gb - Primary Drive for Win 7 Ulitmate & applications

9. Drive 2: WD 1TB - Seondary Drive Data, May partition it for my needs.

10. Optical Drives: (2) LG Multi DVD 22x Writers - BluRay isn't necessary.

11. Card Reader: Logisys 3.5" All in One Internal - USB

Edited by TTQ B4U

It's not gonna degrade in a short time so I'd still jump and RMA when you can. Many places are pulling them from shelves though so GL in finding anything. Personally, I'll be browsing Microcenter tomorrow to see what I can still pick up.

It's not gonna degrade in a short time so I'd still jump and RMA when you can. Many places are pulling them from shelves though so GL in finding anything. Personally, I'll be browsing Microcenter tomorrow to see what I can still pick up.

Got it all tonight. Building in the morning. Processing some customer photos in the evening :D I'm fine with the i7 950 Photoshop is intensive but it eats memory more than cycles. Doubt it will push the limits of the four cores. Thus I like the 3 channels of memory.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/132298352/original.jpg

If you dont mind me asking how much for all this, I wanna build a machine for similar reasons, but have been out of the game for awhile. You can pm if you like. :D

$1,100 You could probably save $200 if you did away with the 10k RPM Drive and used something different. I bought it all at MicroCenter and didn't jerk around shopping online or price matching. I'm fine with it.

I run 15k sas drives now but plan on upgrading to SSD's soon. ;)

I may try and SSD in my old PC as I"m going to wipe and rebuild it for the kids. It's still a great PC and I think Windows 7 alone will help it. XP Pro just gets so fat & slow over time.