Possibly my first diesel. Advice please?

Draco-REX

Ok, I know very little about owning/maintaining a diesel or what to look for when buying a used one. But I'm looking into getting a tow vehicle to haul the WRX around, and I think I found the most epic tow vehicle ever. But I want to pick a few brains before I start looking at numbers.

It's a 1991 Ford E350 Ambulance with a 7.3. In black.

The dealership says it has only 93,000 miles, but the odometer doesn't have a 100K wheel. So it could have a lot more. It does have an hour clock which shows 10,000+ hours. I'm hoping someone with commercial vehicle experience can say if 10K hours is closer to 100K miles or 200K.

Next question is, how is the 7.3? Reliable as hell, or an oil-soaked explosion waiting to happen? What should I look for?

And what kind of mileage do you think I could expect when towing 5000lbs?

Thanks for any advice.

It wont start if it is less than 40F and not plugged in.

Yea it will don't listen to this retard. If it wont start when its cold there are glow plug issues.

It'd its an ambulance it has at least 200k. I'm guessing it 290k

Being a 91 it is a 7.3 IDI engine. They are reliable and most parts are cheaper than the powerstrokes. How ever they have far less power than powerstrokes. You can put a turbo on those engines very is easy just as long as you have the pump turned up. The last one I did that two was a 93 dually and it got 17 mpg pulling an enclosed trailer. Just change your oil at least every 5k along with the fuel filter. They will start below 40 deg as long as your glow plug system is working properly. For every 1 hour multiply that by 25 and that will tell the rough mileage. Even idling (like most ambulances do) equals 25 miles.

Our (2007ish) medics get around 15mpg running around on calls or going where ever so towing wouldn't be much better... but then again our turbo diesels are much bigger and heavier than the E350s.

If youve got a hard on for medics as a tow vehicle, try http://www.govdeals.com/. That is where we sell all our old apparatus and most fire/police vehicles have been propperly maintained even though they have high miles.

fyi its not illegal to have the light and sirens installed on the vehicle, but it is of course illegal to use them. And not me saying that, its straight from a friend/lawyer who bought one off govdeals and converted it into a OSU tailgate vehicle.

you quoted 25 mi/hr so your estimate is right in between 193000 and 293000 miles...which would you guess?

I dont want to lead you in the wrong direction as there are alot of variables. 20-25 sounds about right. that's alot of miles for a medic though. Most places who can afford it put their medics out of service around 100k. In my experience there arn't many front line medics that have over 150-175k. and of course that is nothing but a guess

That heavy rescue is bad ass!

This is not nearly as cool, but is a little cool:

http://www.GovDeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemID=2&acctID=3577

These little guys roll out on brush and grass fires. They rarely get used, as you can tell with only 15kmi. Comparativly less storage space then the medic or rescue but you cant beat that millage. Id call the contact and see if you could set up a time to stop by and look it over. Youve got 2 weeks till the bidding ends

Although i will tell you that some smaller departments like that might have some questionable maintenance people, so id scrutinize the records.

Thanks for all the advice. A friend of mine used to work for an ambulance company and says 100K miles is not unreasonable for a decom'd ambulance. But I didn't ask him about the 10,000 hours yet.

The rescue vehicle is pretty badass, but I like the Ambulance because there's a place to sleep in the back. If I travel to an event, I can shack out in the back instead of spending money on a hotel. There's even a fridge and a microwave in the back. :)

Oh and yes, all the sirens and lights are still installed. :D The outdoor floods would be especially useful for two-night events.

So what does everyone think a good price would be? I did notice that the driver's step is almost completely eaten by rust. They want $5K, but I'm thinking this isn't worth much more than $3K.

only got 127k on my avalanche and it only shows 1300 hrs (rounding up). thats ALOT of run time

A friend of mine that worked for an Ambulance company says that the clock runs as long as the main power switch is turned on. So it's possible the previous owner (it has had one owner since the ambulance company) left the main on a lot.

I'm thinking I'm going to offer $3K. If they take it, cool. If not, then it's not to be.

• 2 months later...

Well, they turned down my original offer of $3K. So I walked. But I was constantly thinking "That would have been so cool!" I swung by the dealership last weekend and it was still there. So I dropped by today and asked if they would reconsider, and they said yes!

So I now have a diesel Ambulance with either a crap-load or a fuck-ton of miles to use as a tow vehicle. :fuckyeah:

Left front tire is zebra-striped and there's a shake at 65mph. Fuel gauge doesn't work. Washer doesn't spray, but might just be empty. There's a hitch receiver, but I didn't see a socket, so I'll have to wire it. AC doesn't work, will try to recharge it.

Rides nice, runs nice, has a fridge and micro-microwave, a padded bench I can sleep on, and tons of storage for my tools.

So a little TLC here and there and I will have an Epic Tow Rig. :)