Cheap Car vs. Rental?

zeitgeist57

I drive a good amount for my job, covering Columbus, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and areas in between. It's mostly me and a laptop; any sales calls are at my office or client's place of business. At minimum I'm covering 500 miles a week, 95%+ of that is highway. While out and about, I get paid mileage: 48.5 cents/mi. Any hotels or meals are paid for as well. My Passat is approaching 108k miles and I can see that a few years of this will wear the old girl down. Sooo...

1) Buy a cheap, high mileage car: The V6 Passat maybe gets around 22-24mpg. It's paid for and very comfortable, but parts are expensive. Plus, the less gas I burn, the more I pocket in mileage reimbursement. Looking at a 2006-2009 high-MPG, manual-transmission car that's CHEAP...looking for suggestions.

OR:

2) Rental: As much as possible, plan my trips in advance and rent a car. Rental and all gas is expensed. I don't get mileage reimbursement, but I'm also not putting wear-and-tear on my Passat.

Which would you choose???

Is really a finance/investment guy asking a numbers question :o

Only $.485 ? Banks are so cheap :p

I did the math on my MS3 when given the choice....notice the company car to the right of it. In the end, the wear and tear and maintenance costs will kill any few pennies you think you're banking.

In your case, you may just do it until the VW calls it quits and use what money you do set aside and have left after maintenance to buy another car.

500 * 49 weeks (assuming 3 weeks vacation)

24,500 miles.

$11,882.50 paid to you, at current gas prices, you get $8,164 after gas is paid for, at $3.49 a gallon. That extra cash buys a lot of wear and tear and tires.

I would be getting a 35ish mpg car and pocketing a lot of that dough.

Plus, added bonus of not wasting an hour a week picking up and dropping off rental.

If they pay you $.485 a mile and you average 500 miles/week and you drive (for work) 45 weeks/year, they will pay you $10.912.50/yr. The car will get 22,500 miles/yr on it at that rate. If you get 30 MPG, you will use 750 gal. of gas. At $3.40/gal., you will spend $2,550.00 on gas. Figure in Misc. maintenance (shouldn't be much on a new car) - $1k/yr. This leaves you $7,362.50/yr (or $613.54/month) to spend on a car payment. Over a 4 year loan, you will put 90k on the car and spend $29,450 on payments.

So a $30k car would be 'free' and you will have a 90k (maintained) 4 year old car that is paid for. Repeat every 4 years. :)

Well roughly the gas payment for a year (500 miles a week for 52 weeks) would be around $12,600.

500 miles / 23mpg = 21.7 gallons a week at an average of idk $3.50 = $76 x $52 = $3,952

So you will 'make' roughly $8600 minus wear and tare on either your passat, or minus a better MPG car and that maintmence.

Honestly if it was me I would just drive the Passat unless you can get a really good deal on a 30-35MPG+, otherwise it would just make more sense to pocked the $8600 and pay any repairs, I mean you would have to have a couple drastic repair bills cut into that $8600...

500 * 49 weeks (assuming 3 weeks vacation)

24,500 miles.

$11,882.50 paid to you, at current gas prices, you get $8,164 after gas is paid for, at $3.49 a gallon. That extra cash buys a lot of wear and tear and tires.

I would be getting a 35ish mpg car and pocketing a lot of that dough.

Plus, added bonus of not wasting an hour a week picking up and dropping off rental.

If they pay you $.485 a mile and you average 500 miles/week and you drive (for work) 45 weeks/year, they will pay you $10.912.50/yr. The car will get 22,500 miles/yr on it at that rate. If you get 30 MPG, you will use 750 gal. of gas. At $3.40/gal., you will spend $2,550.00 on gas. Figure in Misc. maintenance (shouldn't be much on a new car) - $1k/yr. This leaves you $7,362.50/yr (or $613.54/month) to spend on a car payment. Over a 4 year loan, you will put 90k on the car and spend $29,450 on payments.

So a $30k car would be 'free' and you will have a 90k (maintained) 4 year old car that is paid for. Repeat every 4 years. :)

Well roughly the gas payment for a year (500 miles a week for 52 weeks) would be around $12,600.

500 miles / 23mpg = 21.7 gallons a week at an average of idk $3.50 = $76 x $52 = $3,952

So you will 'make' roughly $8600 minus wear and tare on either your passat, or minus a better MPG car and that maintmence.

Honestly if it was me I would just drive the Passat unless you can get a really good deal on a 30-35MPG+, otherwise it would just make more sense to pocked the $8600 and pay any repairs, I mean you would have to have a couple drastic repair bills cut into that $8600...

lol! :D

Naw, I'm good! Thanks as always, CR! :thumbup:

Reason for this is I'm bitching that the Passat's power steering pump is going bad...$200+ for the pump. BUT, I should just get it fixed and be done with it I guess. If I DID get a car, I'm going newer but cheap, like THIS:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3dr-HB-Man-G-Manual-Coupe-1-6L-CD-2nd-Row-Bench-Seat-/250731733124?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a60c6a084 and keep the Passat: it's my wifes first new car out of college and we want to hold onto it for sentimental reasons...more than the Corvette (which is for sale!) The cheapo work car would be driven hard and put away wet...probably smelling like french fries and coffee on the inside as well!

If gas was cheaper, this would be more cut-n-dry, but I can see if gas prices continue to climb that I'll be going the rental car route...

I drove 68,xxx last year. While it sucked using a beater it was for work purposes only, and I wasn't afraid to hurt it. Wrote the mileage off at the end of the year. Spend a few bucks, get something you can stomach skip renting.

I found my Focus with 14K miles on it for a steal (less than $8K). I am in the same situation as you. I make out like a bandit every month.

Also, most employers do NOT keep track of your mileage checks on your W-2, so the entire government rate is tax deductible, allowing you to pull in another ~$1500 from taxes (federal), not to mention filling out a Schedule C lets you make CITY deductions too. Even if they DO keep track of your mileage checks, you can deduct the difference in the gov't rate vs. your reimbursement.

TL,DR = Buy a LOW mileage car that gets good gas mileage, and buy as cheap as you can.

Just for a little different point of view:

Drive something you really enjoy. You're going to pocket some profit on your mileage reimbursement with nearly any car you choose. You're spending hours on the road, so enjoy that time; think of it as your "trip to the spa" numerous times each week. I'm not saying it's got to be in a new Porsche. I enjoy driving my Buick and the 81 diesel Merc as well as my "nicer" cars. I'm sure there are lots of cars you love to drive as well.

A year ago I was driving to Kentucky nearly every week. At the end of the day, I looked forward to the 4 hour drive home.

My .02

My wife went through this with her job as well. She makes at least 1-2 trips to Cleveland a week. She use to take our old Hyundai Elantra which got 32 mpg on her trips. Fill it back up for $30 and then collect a check from her work for over $100. We did this for a while, paying off some old debts and stuff then they changed the travel policy and if it is cheaper to get a rental car, then she has to get a rental. The good thing is she is racking up a lot of points on her credit card.

Drive something you really enjoy. You're going to pocket some profit on your mileage reimbursement with nearly any car you choose. You're spending hours on the road, so enjoy that time; think of it as your "trip to the spa" numerous times each week. I'm not saying it's got to be in a new Porsche. I enjoy driving my Buick and the 81 diesel Merc as well as my "nicer" cars. I'm sure there are lots of cars you love to drive as well.

A year ago I was driving to Kentucky nearly every week. At the end of the day, I looked forward to the 4 hour drive home.

My .02

+1, I don't think I'd want to be crammed in a Hyundai Accent for 500miles/week. I'd certainly sacrifice a tad of my profit for a lot of comfort.

Plenty of cars get 30mpg+ these days, especially that much hwy, no reason to limit yourself to shitboxes.

Civic Si for eco fun box

Accord for something a little more upscale

What about a newer V6 stang?

Fusion?

Like Doc said, you want to be comfortable, unless you are saving pennies. With that much time on the road, you want something you will enjoy, not curse every mile. I would stay away from the Kia/Hun group.

I just came back from Akron yesterday. I'm just going to hold onto the Passat for now.

Before I took off yesterday morning for Akron around 6am, I checked tire pressure and hate to say that they were all silly low (hey, it was a cold winter and I didn't check them for a couple of months!). I aired up all 4 with my compressor and the difference was very noticible in ride and MPG...avgd 24MPG for the trip.

I thought of the quality of vehicle issue as well...I really do enjoy driving the Passat. It's just so damn smoooooth on the highway and glides at 80mph+ effortlessly. The only real issue is fuel economy, especially considering premium fuel:

Passat: 240miles /24MPG = 10gal @ $3.80/gal Premium = $38.00

??????: 240miles /35MPG = 6.85gal @3.40/gal Regular = $23.29

That's a 40% savings in gas expense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you said you're holding on to the Passat for now, but I know a guy out in Marysville that is selling his 08 Hyundai Accent. Mainly used on trips back and forth to Pittsburgh. 38K miles on it, has factory 100K mile warranty. I think he is asking $5,500 now, I can get you in contact with him if you want.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133121

I would drive the speed limit if you haven't. I commute daily from Lancaster to Athens (50 miles one way so about 500 miles a week). I drive my Saab and I get 31 MPG on shitty winter-blend gas in cold weather by going the speed limit. Before when I showed little care for speed limit (10-15 over, hey it's empty most of the time), I got 26-27 MPG. So 5MPG increase is good enough for me.

Keep the car, man, you like it. I love my Saab, it's all of the things you described, effortless, smooth, comfortable. Miles is miles to me, makes no difference if it's 45k or 145k to me.

I am definitely keeping the Passat now. The big thing I didn't take into account is that - knowing my company - things could change and they could mandate rental cars at some point. If I buy a commuter car, then I may be saddled with it a couple of years later when I start flying/renting more.

Thanks for the good vibes, everybody!

good choice!!!

also something i didnt see mentioned was if you buy another car there is another expense: Insurance!

i know when my wife and i were driving back and forth to dayton everyday for 5 months, we rented since the company paid for it and the gas. but also our insurance co (state farm) still covered the rental at no additional cost. we were literally out $0 and didnt put any miles on either of our cars.

but buying another car there is that increase in cost due to insurance coverage.

My .02

This is a very good point.

I am definitely keeping the Passat now. The big thing I didn't take into account is that - knowing my company - things could change and they could mandate rental cars at some point. If I buy a commuter car, then I may be saddled with it a couple of years later when I start flying/renting more.

Thanks for the good vibes, everybody!

You could maybe try and strike a new deal with them to get them to pay you a little more for all the miles that you are putting on your car as well, or see if they would help you out in getting a new car since you are only using it for work and they are essencially running the miles up on YOUR car while they bennifit from having you as an employe. Also if you buy a car strictly for working purpose can't you use that as a tax write off? This I do not know but that is why I am asking because if you can I would defently get a new car. If I was you I would either run your current car into the ground and then invest in a new one, or just get a new car now and enjoy having a nice car to drive for work and use your car now to trade in or keep around and have another daily that is paid off for a rainy day.

I drive a good amount for my job, covering Columbus, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and areas in between. It's mostly me and a laptop; any sales calls are at my office or client's place of business. At minimum I'm covering 500 miles a week, 95%+ of that is highway. While out and about, I get paid mileage: 48.5 cents/mi. Any hotels or meals are paid for as well. My Passat is approaching 108k miles and I can see that a few years of this will wear the old girl down. Sooo...

1) Buy a cheap, high mileage car: The V6 Passat maybe gets around 22-24mpg. It's paid for and very comfortable, but parts are expensive. Plus, the less gas I burn, the more I pocket in mileage reimbursement. Looking at a 2006-2009 high-MPG, manual-transmission car that's CHEAP...looking for suggestions.

OR:

2) Rental: As much as possible, plan my trips in advance and rent a car. Rental and all gas is expensed. I don't get mileage reimbursement, but I'm also not putting wear-and-tear on my Passat.

Which would you choose???

What happened to that diesel Jetta you were looking at? If you didn't get it, is it still for sale? ;)

-Marc