Insurance for Home and Cars

wagner

We are working on getting this home buying thing done. Now we are on the insurance portion of the show, and I must say this sucks.

Who do you use and why? So far I am not happy with the quotes I am getting. Nationewide had the cheapest homeowners if we moved our car to them, but the cranked my car insuracne up by $100 a month so it is a wash.

Who do you use and why? So far I am not happy with the quotes I am getting. Nationewide had the cheapest homeowners if we moved our car to them, but the cranked my car insuracne up by $100 a month so it is a wash.

Nationwide is supposed to be dropping all their auto rates by 10% in the next month or so. Also if you join the Ohio Farm Bureau, its another good percentage off all policies considering its around $45/year to join.

For home owners make sure you're comparing the like to like. For the Nationwide Ohio policy its now mandatory that it includes ordinance and law coverage (covers code compliance issues) and matching (ex: if only one side of your old siding is damaged and you can no longer find a match, they'll pay extra to have a match made or for all the siding).

Most all insurance carriers offer these, but most you have to pay additional premiums for.

90k selling price, and the quotes are in the $600 range for the house. Right now we are paying around $118 for all 3 cars and full coverage.

Now that I think about it, I didn't ask the right question. What I should have asked was, how much are they saying replacement cost is for the house? And what's the value they are using for personal property? That's a couple of the main things they use to calculate the premium.

Now that I think about it, I didn't ask the right question. What I should have asked was, how much are they saying replacement cost is for the house? And what's the value they are using for personal property? That's a couple of the main things they use to calculate the premium.

Progressive I want to say was like 175k for the house

Nationwide was 140k

Personal property I do not recall, but they were similar.

856-2600 ask for alissa and tell her evan wyant sent you...its state farm, rich courter is the agent, but shes who i always deal with...shes simply awesome and saved me, my brother, and my dad a shit ton of money from what we were paying

I have Progressive for my cars and Ohio Casualty for my house. It just works out that way to be cheaper, no idea why. Progressive was ridiculous on home owners insurance for some reason, same with majority of the other companies I called.

We use Cincinnati Insurance. We talked to quite a few body shops, and asked who worked the best with them, when getting enthusiest cars taken care of. (Specificly talked to Dan at Achbach, and a few guys at rifes in grandview)

We also have neighbors who have them as well. ANYtime there has been hail damage in my neighborhood and people had them, they came out and wrote a check, no questions asked.

Progressive, Nationwide, all screwed us with hail damage, and now my roof and siding BOTH have hail damage that neither would fix. (nationwide at least offered to PAINT MY SWINGSET :rolleyes:

We have them for Home and Auto now. They are a LITTLE pricy (maybe 100 bucks a year more, but for peace of mind knowing that my cars and my house will BOTH be fixed if there is an issue and to my standards makes me comfortable with the 100)

I think Lisa is usually who we talk to.

Black & Associates Insurance,

555 Metro Place N # 200

Dublin, OH 43017-1305 map

Columbus, OH Metro Area

i should add...i think insurance on my house (80k house, like $150 replacement) is like $730/yr, and for my 98 explorer and 02 rio for everything but collision (i think thats the one that covers my car if i crash into someone...since they're worth so little i dropped it) is $78/mo, but i am 25 and had a crappier record earlier in life, but the last 3-4 years ive been clear...its just been going down every time it renews, and i guess since im at 3 years clear i'll get some other discount this year when it renews.

All I can say is this:

We use Allstate. We have:

Homeowners

Car x 2

Motorcycle x 1

Life Insurance

Life Insurance (child)

We "get" a large discount due to multiple policies. However, we have not shopped around for better rates.

KillJoy

i should add...i think insurance on my house (80k house, like $150 replacement) is like $730/yr, and for my 98 explorer and 02 rio for everything but collision (i think thats the one that covers my car if i crash into someone...since they're worth so little i dropped it) is $78/mo, but i am 25 and had a crappier record earlier in life, but the last 3-4 years ive been clear...its just been going down every time it renews, and i guess since im at 3 years clear i'll get some other discount this year when it renews.

I'll echo this format....

My house ($140k, w/ $220k replacement) and $100k for personal belongings is $610/year, and we insure 2 cars and 2 drivers, one w/ 6 points, full coverage w/ $500k liability and its $88/month.

erie insurance. full coverage on the TBSS and CTS-V $144/mo. we pay for 9 months out of the year.

$210k house $343,000 dwelling replacement

$257,000 personal property

$703/yr paid from escrow

BURREY INSURANCE AGENCY, INC.

16 VILLAGE POINTE DRIVE

POWELL, OH 43065-7760

Phone: (614)717-0017

Fax: (614)717-0015

Toll Free: (888)865-9446

Not sure how other companies work, but I work at Progressive and we don't actually underwrite the home insurance or renter's policies. They use two companies, Homesite and another that I can't recall. But we are essentially a middleman, and the only benefit is you get a discount for having more than one policy "through" Progressive. They seem to be moving toward wanting to actually underwrite home policies, but that might not happen for a while.

Not sure how our rates compare since I work mostly with auto policies, but it's worth checking out if you already have auto insurance through them.