Help with some boat buying decisions

Nitrousbird

My wife and I took a look at a boat last evening, and I think came up with more questions than answers.

We looked at a 2003 Malibu Wakesetter VLX 21' wakeboard boat. Very local (only a few minutes away). Yellow/black/white, good shape in/out. 4 ballast tanks, all upgraded and still using factory switch system. Upgraded audio, 600 hours. Guy wants 25k firm. This is the max we want to spend, but is good boat for the money. Concerns:

- Looks like anything we get won't fit in our garage they way we want. Ours is a 3-car, but is double deep on one side. I keep my Formula and my wife's Audi on one side, and the boat on the other. But my boat is only 16'9", and with the trailer and stern drive, it just fits. This boat w/ trailer will end up being 2' too long, and honestly no boat we are going to be in the market for will fit. What is everyone's opinion on keeping a nice boat outside? Good cover in the running months, shrink wrapped in the winter.

- Ride quality. My current boat rides like shit. Heavy wakes can = decent splash back at time, rough ride, etc. Mind you it is a lighter boat with a 3.0 Mercrusier. My wife is concerned with this. I am sure anything non-jet boat at 21'+ will ride well better than mine, but how does a 21' V-drive ride in compared to your typical 21' stern drive? I've never rode in V-drive, so I have no experience. My wife if very concerned about this.

Joe have you thought about building a shelter for it that isn't ugly on the eyes? Ultimately I know a second garage is in store and you'd keep it in there.

As long as you wax it you should be ok keeping it outside I mean it is a boat and look how many mansions on the water are out in all the elements and still look nice....all about the upkeep. What about a trailer with a fold away tongue?

I would prefer anything I own to be inside but if it isn't possible I would take the necessary measures to ensure it will hold its shine for years.

A good wax and boat cover should do that, and if you can a structure over top would work even better.

My boat has the most uncomfortable ride of any boat I have been in at cruising speeds when choppy. When wakeboarding at slow speeds it is great. It is heavy on the wheel when loaded down. When the water is smooth I can cruise 45 no problem but as soon as a wake comes it can wake you up for sure. You just have to remember your are not getting a v hull boat. Any wake boat I have been in regardless of v drive or d drive, feels like a bathtub in the water and they plow through everything instead of cut through it. I still wouldn't trade it for anything else. I have learned to anticipate the chop and work the throttle and steering when cruising and none of my family or kids even have complained.

As far as storage, does Tue trailer have a swing out tongue? That cuts off quite a bit. Are you already figuring removing the swim platform for garage? My stays out all summer. It isn't anymore tear on it than it being in the water for me. Just keep it covered and a good wax job on it.

My boat has the most uncomfortable ride of any boat I have been in at cruising speeds when choppy. When wakeboarding at slow speeds it is great. It is heavy on the wheel when loaded down. When the water is smooth I can cruise 45 no problem but as soon as a wake comes it can wake you up for sure. You just have to remember your are not getting a v hull boat. Any wake boat I have been in regardless of v drive or d drive, feels like a bathtub in the water and they plow through everything instead of cut through it. I still wouldn't trade it for anything else. I have learned to anticipate the chop and work the throttle and steering when cruising and none of my family or kids even have complained.

As far as storage, does Tue trailer have a swing out tongue? That cuts off quite a bit. Are you already figuring removing the swim platform for garage? My stays out all summer. It isn't anymore tear on it than it being in the water for me. Just keep it covered and a good wax job on it.

Your ride description confuses me a bit. My boat being 16'9" and pretty light, ride up any wake, then comes right back down, making for quite the bumpy ride. It also gets a decent amount of splash back. It isn't as bad as a smaller jet boat (those things ride like shit). I would think plowing through wakes would be less bumpy. My buddy has a 23' Rinker closed bow - it rides nice, and is heavy as shit. I don't expect a wakeboard boat to ride that nice. My wife is just concerned about being bounced around or getting water splashed up over the boat a lot.

As for the swing out tounge, it doesn't matter. The side of the garage I currently keep my boat on is 21.5', which is still too short even with the swim platform off and tounge folded in. :( Thinking more about it, outside may be better, as my garage is pretty cramped anyway with all the stuff we have in it (2 cars, boat, riding mower, work bench, generator, etc.).

I've also found some other boats that have just sold for pretty good prices outside of Ohio. 02 21' Centurion w/ high hours and needing some interior love go for 15k. A very mint, lower hour 04 22' Centurion go for 22k. Nice 01 X10 for 22k (that I don't think will sell for that much). Saw an 02 X-Star with some interior fixes not bid past 15k on E-bay. Seeing a 03 Tige 22' not bidding past 21k.

Just seen this one on Craigslist this morning.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/2288691961.html

That is exactly what I don't want.

- Older than I want

- Cuddy cabin - no thanks; cuddy's are pointless wastes space unless you plan to sleep on the boat, which I will never do

- Not a wakeboard boat.

- Holds less people than my current boat

- Older BBC = gas guzzler

Buy a row boat, nothing to break and cost "Another thousand"

I have had my boat since 2000, and it hasn't been all that expensive to maintain at all. Biggest cost by a large margin was when the motor blew up - that cost me 2k. Otherwise, everything else has been pretty cheap. I probably have $4000 in maintenance/repairs since I've owned it, including the cost of a brand new crate motor.

Your ride description confuses me a bit. My boat being 16'9" and pretty light, ride up any wake, then comes right back down, making for quite the bumpy ride. It also gets a decent amount of splash back. It isn't as bad as a smaller jet boat (those things ride like shit). I would think plowing through wakes would be less bumpy. My buddy has a 23' Rinker closed bow - it rides nice, and is heavy as shit. I don't expect a wakeboard boat to ride that nice. My wife is just concerned about being bounced around or getting water splashed up over the boat a lot.

Since wakeboard boats are not deep v hull boats they dont cut throught the water very well. Instead of riding each wake the boats tend to just smack into them. It is nothing that is horrible but if you arent paying attention you could be suprised with one hell of uncomfortable bump. I do not have much problem with water spray though.