Cars and Coffee lawsuit!

zeitgeist57

I'm beyond pissed right now...:mad:

I received an email from Paul Milligan this morning, who owns the rights to the "other" .com site as well as the national Cars and Coffee forum for Columbus (columbus.carsandcoffee.info). In the email, he said that I owe $1200 a year for 2011 and every year afterwards to use "Cars and Coffee"; it's a trademarked name. :rolleyes: Otherwise, I'll have to pull down my .net site or I'll be sued.

When I talked to him in 2009, I remember him saying that he had to pay a California company to use Cars and Coffee. There is NO WAY I'm paying to use the C&C name. Anyone out there familiar with similar website legal issues? :(

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This can be tricky. I have had an issue like this before before, as well as some DMCA notices. The problem is if they are motivated they can probably cause you some trouble.

What is your history with the site? If you can prove it was in use before they wanted to use it you might be ok.

edit: also DO NOT correspond with him in any way. You might say something you shouldn't.

I'm beyond pissed right now...:mad:

I received an email from Paul Milligan this morning, who owns the rights to the "other" .com site as well as the national Cars and Coffee forum for Columbus (columbus.carsandcoffee.info). In the email, he said that I owe $1200 a year for 2011 and every year afterwards to use "Cars and Coffee"; it's a trademarked name. :rolleyes: Otherwise, I'll have to pull down my .net site or I'll be sued.

When I talked to him in 2009, I remember him saying that he had to pay a California company to use Cars and Coffee. There is NO WAY I'm paying to use the C&C name. Anyone out there familiar with similar website legal issues? :(

Let him have his name, we can come up with a better one. He is just sad panda because his cars and coffee is full of fail and face herps.

Let him have his name, we can come up with a better one. He is just sad panda because his cars and coffee is full of fail and face herps.

This.

Part of their snootiness, no doubt. I can understand you would be irritated, considering you have made gestures to their group in the past (such as when you offered to do some things jointly with them). However, I agree with Wagner: don't fight it. Consider if "Columbus Racing Cars & Coffee" or better yet "CR's Caffeine & Gasoline" or some other such name is satisfactory to avoid the legal fight. Fighting with that guy would be like getting into a pissing contest with a skunk--even if you win, you lose.

Don't let the bastards get you down. :thumbup:

you clowns are dumb columbus.carsandcoffee.info doesnt exist.

but someone owns the domain "carsandcoffee.info" so it could if they wanted it to:

Domain ID:D17758281-LRMS

Domain Name:CARSANDCOFFEE.INFO

Created On:11-May-2007 05:44:47 UTC

Last Updated On:30-Mar-2011 19:41:24 UTC

Expiration Date:11-May-2013 05:44:47 UTC

Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com Inc. (R171-LRMS)

Registrant ID:CR24118532

Registrant Name:Brent Ferguson

Registrant Organization:Cars and Coffee, Inc.

Registrant Street1:6765 Westminster Blvd - C #143

Registrant Street2:

Registrant Street3:

Registrant City:Westminster

Registrant State/Province:California

Registrant Postal Code:92683

Registrant Country:US

Registrant Phone:+1.7149054045

- Do not respond to his e-mail at all

- Change it to Columbus Racing Cars and Coffee

- Make no other changes.

Seems easy enough to me. It's not like he had a lawyer contact you. :)

the trade mark is with cars and coffee. Thats what Clay would have to pay to use.