What to do in Boston?

mrblunt

My wife's company is fronting the bill for me this week. Im going to the Celtics game tomorrow night but I'm looking for ideas of other stuff to do. I've been told the 'duck tour' is cool and so is the Freedom trail. Can anyone recommend a must see location here in Boston??

duck tour is fun... also, go to cheers, place has AWESOME nachos... I've been to Boston twice and I seriously had Cheer's nachos about every day... yes they are that good. Plus make sure to pick up a Norm mug, fucker is a huge beer mug worthy of drinking beer like a man out of.

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Man_V_Food/Episodes_Travel_Guides/ci.Episode_Boston.map

and

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Anthony_Bourdain/Episodes_Travel_Guides/ci.Episode_Outer_Boroughs.map

EAT!

the red sox are in Cleveland although if you make the trek the yankees are playing the twins at 7pm today (the 5th) and tomorrow (the 6th). then on the 7th at 1.

All good suggestions, except Cheers. Booooorinnnnnng expensive tourist trap.

Get a pass for the T. You'll never be on time anywhere, but youre a tourist so it doesn't matter. Take the E train on the Green Line to get out to Jamaica Plain for the Sam Adams brewery. Go to Government Center and get a cab to go by the Hahhhbah (harbor) for the Harpoon brewery. Both are essential visits.

If you're into aqariums, the New England Aquarium is very very cool. Expensive, not huge, but very cool.

I think right now is the time of year for whale watches, but I'm not certain. If so, do one of those. They're really cool.

Faneuil Hall is cool, and where lots of the tourist crap is, but its a very historic area.

NORTH END FOR DINNER. THIS IS NOT AN OPTION. Also, don't bother going to any of the big, well advertised stores. Walk around the district until you see a menu in the window that you like. The only place I've ever been twice is a small place on one of the main streets called Cibo. Cash only, but holy shit their linguine pescatore (fisherman's linguine...clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops) was to die for.

Legal Seafoods is expensive but deeeeeelish and there are numerous locations.

Spend some time walking around Boston Commons. You're also just a few blocks away from Chinatown and the Theater District.

Kenmore Square for a Sox game. There are places you can get day-of-game tickets for $25 as long as you walk straight in the door when you buy them, they're on Yawkey Way. If you don't get in, watch the game at Boston Beer Works (they brew their own) or Game On which are both right under/beside Fenway. Also look for the shirt vendors (that you can haggle with) selling "Jesus Hates Derek Jeter" shirts.

Around Faneuil Hall and Government Center area you can get horse-drawn carriage rides which wifey will love. Took my long time ago gf there for our anniv and it was good times. If you're a cigar smoker, David P. Ehrlich & Co is one of the oldest cigar shops in the U.S.

If you want a decent bottle of wine, look up Brookline Liquor Mart. I used to work there. They have thousands and thousands of bottles on hand at any given time, with decent prices and a wonderful staff. Located off the B train on the Green Line, Warren St. stop.

I'll post more as I think of it.

EDIT: Thought of something. Since I condemned Cheers, if you want nachos go to Sunset Cantina or Sunset Bar & Grill. Cantina is on Commonwealth Ave, right across from Boston University Fitness & Recreation Center and has about 120 different tequilas. Bar & Grill is located further up the street on Brighton Ave (Comm Ave peels off to the left, Brighton Ave continues in a straight line) and they have about 120 taps. Do NOT get seasonal beers from Bar & Grill, they don't clean the lines when they switch seasons you sometimes get something light like a wheat beer tasting dark because they had a porter or stout on that tap over the winter. Go for something more year-round and you'll be pleased. And their nachos are AWESOME. Not a college atmosphere at either location.