Hot Lapping Mid-Ohio

racerx78

This is my second time at the track, first time with Nasa. I had a blast, i started out in HPDE 1 but was able to move up to HPDE 2 by the end of the weekend and got to drive solo. After two days, 1.5 tanks of gas, 8 track sessions, and about 2/32nds of tread i can say this is by far my favorite type of motorsport. I still will be autoX'ing to sharpen other skills but road racing is seriously addictive. I still have work as a driver i need to work on, foot work(down shifting smoothly), corner entry(partially caused by issues i was having with my brakes). All my lines are good. Most of the people at the track were really friendly and willing to give advice.

The car did very will. FP held up fine with my mods(SRI, TMIC, TP & CBE) and on stock tune. the Falken 615K's(255/40/17) did a good job of sticking in all the weather conditions we had(some rain 55 degrees and then sunny 80 degrees). One thing i can see is i need to do something about the shocks. I'll proabably be going with Koni's and eibachs here shortly, i'm not ready to make the jump to coilovers.

I've got a few pics of the weekend and a couple in car vids(will post later once edited.)

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/j2onlineaccts/Wheels/DSCF0050.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/j2onlineaccts/Wheels/5605095190_686b015239_o.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/j2onlineaccts/Wheels/img1594edit.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/j2onlineaccts/Wheels/DSCF0011.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/j2onlineaccts/Wheels/DSCF0008.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/j2onlineaccts/Wheels/DSCF0024.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/j2onlineaccts/Wheels/DSCF0007.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/j2onlineaccts/Wheels/DSCF0010.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the track on Sunday with the guys in garage 28...all the civics. I'm afraid to get on the track, I've heard it's addicting

Cool my instructor was in garage 26 with a blue civic hatch. It is addicting, i'm trying to see now when i can make it back up there a couple more times.

Looks like fun man. The MS3 does do well out there too. I need to make it up there this season.

It was a blast, and the ms3 did do well except for the braking issues. I was able to bleed some more air out of the system today so that shouldn't be a problem next time. The next nasa event is in July and then in august. I know i'll be doing the one in August and maybe July if i can put in the OT for it.

It was a blast, and the ms3 did do well except for the braking issues. I was able to bleed some more air out of the system today so that shouldn't be a problem next time. The next nasa event is in July and then in august. I know i'll be doing the one in August and maybe July if i can put in the OT for it.

Keep me posted. I wouldn't mind going too. I can bring some camera gear too.

Haha, another victim falls prey to the road course addiction.

You've driven the slickest track in the Midwest when it rains and survived, congrats.

If you ever need anything at the track, I'm always at the NASA Mid Ohio events. Look for the black FC #387. I'm usually paddocked around garages 27/28.

Can't wait to get a FIAT 500 on the track.

Road racing is very addictive. In no other form of racing do you really feel like you're able to use 100% of the car's ability. And you really get to see how poor DD brakes are suited to the track. Last time I was up there a dude in an eclipse GST was talking all about his new rotors and pads...after 3 laps his pads were smoking and had so much brake fade he almost turned it into a turbocharged lawnmower on turn 11.

What's your favorite corner at Mid-Ohio? I've gotta say I love that full throttle off camber left right before the carousel.

Haha, another victim falls prey to the road course addiction.

You've driven the slickest track in the Midwest when it rains and survived, congrats.

If you ever need anything at the track, I'm always at the NASA Mid Ohio events. Look for the black FC #387. I'm usually paddocked around garages 27/28.

LoL, I've almost forgotten about AutoX now. I just want to get back out there. I need to conquer the carousel. Thankfully the MS3 FWD setup did really well in the rain both days. Even with DSC off, and my track tires on. I did a PDX last year with SCCA at mid-ohio and we had a monsoon during one of our sessions that really tested your car control skills. Next time i'm there i'll look for you. I want to make it to HPDE 3 in the MS3 and then look into getting a dedicated track car. Either a mustang gt, 350z or a civic.

Can't wait to get a FIAT 500 on the track.

Road racing is very addictive. In no other form of racing do you really feel like you're able to use 100% of the car's ability. And you really get to see how poor DD brakes are suited to the track. Last time I was up there a dude in an eclipse GST was talking all about his new rotors and pads...after 3 laps his pads were smoking and had so much brake fade he almost turned it into a turbocharged lawnmower on turn 11.

What's your favorite corner at Mid-Ohio? I've gotta say I love that full throttle off camber left right before the carousel.

It be nice to see a Abarth 500 ss on the track. But yea you really get to see what your car can do. I am currently running Hawk HPS pads but i'm thinking about switching to HP+ since i plan on going there more often. Favorite turn would have to be turn 1 just after the pit. Taking that turn just after the Carousel at 65-75mph is always a butt pucker moment for me, and fun as hell.

Now how does the racing go up there? Were you allowed to try and pass people or do you have to stay in a single file line the whole time?

Depending on your level(HPDE 1,2,3 or4) You have different place your allowed to pass. HPDE 1 & 2 you allowed to pass on the 2 main straights and after turn 11 in tunder vallery. As far as everyone being in a straight line we were just all taking the same line and there was a bit of traffic.

http://www.trackpedia.com/mediawiki/images/f/fc/MidOhio.jpg

Depending on your level(HPDE 1,2,3 or4) You have different place your allowed to pass. HPDE 1 & 2 you allowed to pass on the 2 main straights and after turn 11 in tunder vallery. As far as everyone being in a straight line we were just all taking the same line and there was a bit of traffic.

Just to be clear - This is HPDE (High Performance Driving Experience). Not racing. You are there to learn to drive on a race track. Drive the racing line and learn how to drive your car at x/10ths (where x shouldn't be over 7.5-8). Starting out, you should be around 5-5.5/10ths. HPDE/PDX is a great way to get on the track!

Some things to consider when doing a track day:

1) Understand the insurance offered by the sanctioning body hosting the event. This can be very important if/when something goes wrong. Some groups have it right and others do not.

2) Understand the rules/your liability. Some groups will pass track damage/repair bills to you. So if you hit a tire wall, wall/barrier - you can be responsible for the damage bill and those can be in the thousands.

3) Understand your liability for contact with another car on the track. This can be wide open and expose you to a ton of liability depending on the group you run with.

4) Look at the safety workers/conditions for the event. Never be afraid to leave and event if safety is being compromised.

There are MANY more things to 'consider', but these are some of the bigger ones. I'm happy to discuss track days with anyone wanting to do them. (at the track or over beers locally!) I instruct with a group that does track days at Mid-Ohio.

Just to be clear - This is HPDE (High Performance Driving Experience). Not racing. You are there to learn to drive on a race track. Drive the racing line and learn how to drive your car at x/10ths (where x shouldn't be over 7.5-8). Starting out, you should be around 5-5.5/10ths. HPDE/PDX is a great way to get on the track!

Some things to consider when doing a track day:

1) Understand the insurance offered by the sanctioning body hosting the event. This can be very important if/when something goes wrong. Some groups have it right and others do not.

2) Understand the rules/your liability. Some groups will pass track damage/repair bills to you. So if you hit a tire wall, wall/barrier - you can be responsible for the damage bill and those can be in the thousands.

3) Understand your liability for contact with another car on the track. This can be wide open and expose you to a ton of liability depending on the group you run with.

4) Look at the safety workers/conditions for the event. Never be afraid to leave and event if safety is being compromised.

There are MANY more things to 'consider', but these are some of the bigger ones. I'm happy to discuss track days with anyone wanting to do them. (at the track or over beers locally!) I instruct with a group that does track days at Mid-Ohio.

True this isn't official race where one person "wins"(except Charlie Sheen), but its apart of getting your competition license. so you can eventually compete in the various racing series.

Safety is something you should always be concerned about be it here or any place were you push your cars limits.

True this isn't official race where one person "wins"(except Charlie Sheen), but its apart of getting your competition license. so you can eventually compete in the various racing series.

Safety is something you should always be concerned about be it here or any place were you push your cars limits.

Yes it is and it is a good start to getting a comp. license. Just need to make sure to drill in the fact that no one 'wins' a HPDE/PDX. There are only losers at these events. The loser is the person who crashes their car by driving over their (or their cars) ability. These events are educational/fun ONLY. You shouldn't be timing yourself at these events - just working on being smooth and learning to drive. Speed comes on its own when you 'get it'.

Glad you had a good time and hopefullly you stick with it to get your comp. license. This is the #1 best way to spend money I've ever found! :)