Mid-Ohio May 6th-8th

What a blast! The weather turned out better than expected with only a rain delay on Friday mid-day, and a wet track on Saturday for the first two groups.

Blew the high pressure oil line from the VANOS to the reservoir late Friday morning. No replacements in Ohio. Removed it and found a shop in Mansfield to weld it and had the car back together for the last session of the day.

Picked up a shitload of rubber debris ("boogers") on the Hoosiers going deep in the Keyhole. Got a pretty good vibration at 130mph and in right hand corners. Took an hour to remove the front tires and shave the "boogers" off. I ended up missing another session just making sure that there wasn't a mechanical problem.

There were obviously a wide variety of Porsches, from 914s to GT3RSs running. also everything from a mid 90s GTI, an RX8, a few Factory Fives, Corvettes, and a fucking fast as hell Honda Hatch (450hp)with a driver who was tremendously skilled.

Watched both and Porsche and a Lotus spin into the run-off coming out of turn #1 too hot. Fortunately only one car made contact (light hit) with a wall all weekend. The Vipers had some bad luck as one blew a new engine, and another a head gasket.

All in all, a blast of a weekend. I spent a lot of lower speed practice in lines and braking due to a few really slow drivers in my run group, hence not a lot of clean laps.

I had a best lap time of 1:51.00 timed electronically using GPS (by a Trackmate). I guess i can't complain as it was my 2nd session ever on a track.

In-car video, with Trackmate data overlaid, should be posted later in the week.

a 51 lap at mid oh (club course, I assume with the chicane before the Keyhole) is fairly good for a novice...I think the best I've ever turned was an estimated 53 or 54 on the club course on street tires by video (only driven the course 2 times)

how race prepped were those M3s? engine mods? suspension mods? what weight was removed? or better yet, for what racing series and what class were they built?

I am excite for Traqmate data :)

PS: I call them boogers, clag, marbles, pellets depending on what liquor I drank the night before

glad you had fun ....register for Mid Ohio with NASA Great Lakes on Aug 14-15 and we'll play together :)

I assume with the chicane before the Keyhole

Full course with Chicane.

how race prepped were those M3s? engine mods? suspension mods? what weight was removed? or better yet, for what racing series and what class were they built?

FYI: I had a 300+lb instructor (Tony) shoehorned into the passenger Sparco EVO2 next to me on every lap.

The one I drove:

TTB Class, Add the rest of the cage (A-pillars and Door frames), and take out 200lbs, and it would be a GTS3

Stock Engine, A/C, Power Steering, Exhaust.

AST5100 suspension, H&R front sway bar

Rear interior gutted and 3/4 caged (only stock door panels, dash and center console left)

Sparco seats and 5 point harnesses

Hoosier 18 inch stickies

Pic before seats and cage:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i167/nocab72/27-29-Aug-10_PCA_Mary/pcapotsept-06407-web.jpg

Kyles:

TTS, GTS3

quite a bit more modified.....

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i167/nocab72/27-29-Aug-10_PCA_Pics/pcapotsept-00357-med.jpg