Honda Civic 1.6 Turbo Random Overheating

Ahmadi6490

You guys are the shit! Alright cool yeah I started it up and squeezed the bottom and top hoses and saw quite a few bubbles coming out. Drove it around for 20 miles or so afterwards and it didn't heat up at all. I'll keep you guys posted...radiator will be in the near future.

Thanks for everyone's input!

best way to bleed your coolant syatem is to buy the coolant bucket system

like this

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/FixUrNissan/2009-12-22_203437_fill_rad.jpg

I would do leak down test. and replace with dual core radiator. the tune could effect the over heating issue.

thermostat and radiator cap

if problem persists, time for a new headgasket and machining of the head

If that does not fix it...

Ehxaust gasses are passing through the H/G and entering your cooling system. time for a new H/G, Head deck and pressure test for cracks etc.

If that does not fix it...

Ehxaust gasses are passing through the H/G and entering your cooling system. time for a new H/G, Head deck and pressure test for cracks etc.

i m pretty sure that s what I implied when I mentioned machining of the head:yuno::yuno:

in any event, OP...sometimes it's the most minute things indeed :p..........

My car had beginnings of overheating and turns out it was simply a radiator cap....your mileage will vary

Ehxaust gasses are passing through the H/G and entering your cooling system.

This has been my guess all along. I had the same issue with my high-comp b-series, it would be fine in normal driving but when I pushed it really hard (like at a track day) the head would lift enough that exhaust gas was getting into the cooling system. In my case, all I needed to do was add some torque to the head bolts and the problem went away.

Very interesting....yeah I drove it for 40 miles and no problems yet. But most of those 40 were baby miles..I did get on it a few times tho WOT. My buddy said if it overheats again like you guys said block test could be a small crack in head/block/HG etc etc. He said it may stay small so every once in a while i'll have the keep bleeding it lol.

Or perhaps the shop that did the HG work didn't tourqe them down properly...so many varibles lol

Atleast on a sohc its easy to retorque the headstuds. On the B series you gotta remove your damn cams just to retorque studs. If you had a cracked head/block I would think you'd notice coolant loss. Does the car have an overflow tank? Just another variable that sometimes leads to overheating issues

Dude your ass must be sore, that shop raped you to do a head gasket.

Nahhh the shop raped the previous owner...so did the greddy turbo.:bangbang:

I did notice a very small coolant leak after I turn the engine off...a few drops of green fluid. In the mornings I looked into the radiator and saw it was about an inch from the top where I last filled it...I put more coolant in it while it was running and topped it off and drove the rest of the day. (25 miles) No problems with overheating ever since I bled the air out a second time and actually got the large air bubbles out of the bottom hose. Theres zero cold spots in the system now and i've put 70 miles in the past couple of days with no overheating issues. I'm starting to think i'm either burning some coolant or just have a very very slow leak and need to top it off before I take it out for the day/keep my eye on it closely.

Should the radiator be topped off at all times or is an inch or so below the cap fine? And will the radiator pull in coolant as needed from the reserve jug or is that just for overflowing? Because mine is dam near full lol

The radiator will put extra fluid in the overflow when its warm, it then draws vacuum to bring that coolant back into the system when needed. The radiator shouldn't be full to the top of the cap, notice the hose that runs from the radiator to the overflow. That is as full as the radiator should be, anything more then that and its just gonna go to the overflow tank. You shouldn't have to be topping it off daily, chances are theres a pin hole leak in one of the hoses, most likely one of the thousand that run to the intake manifold haha.

The radiator will put extra fluid in the overflow when its warm, it then draws vacuum to bring that coolant back into the system when needed. The radiator shouldn't be full to the top of the cap, notice the hose that runs from the radiator to the overflow. That is as full as the radiator should be, anything more then that and its just gonna go to the overflow tank. You shouldn't have to be topping it off daily, chances are theres a pin hole leak in one of the hoses, most likely one of the thousand that run to the intake manifold haha.

This makes a lot more sense now...thanks man.

Car overheated a tad today...fan was running and coolant was flowing properly...is there anyway the vaccum from the overflow tank isn't getting to the radiator? I mean what could not allow the radiator to pull coolant from the tank? If the radiator was faulty would that provent a proper vaccum pull?

Was pretty hot today...maybe I just need an aftermarket cooling system. But it has worked fine all week. Seems like when I add coolant to the radiator it does overheat but if I don't then it does....

It's just the intercooler, mines doing the same thing today lol. I need a bigger FAN

Really so im not alone? lol So do you guys think if I got a bigger fan/radiator this would solve the issue?

Is your car consuming coolant? Based on the number of posts where you say you added some to the radiator, I think it's safe to say that your car is consuming coolant. A bigger radiator is not going to fix that. Figure out if you have a leak, if not, headgasket.

It's either consuming it or leaking it very slowly. Coolant is not mixed with oil, it's clean. I may have added too much that's why my overfill tank is almost full. The thing is when I overheat there's proper coolant cycling, fan activated, thermostat activated and adequate amounts of coolant fluid. I don't see why it would overheat a tad when the cooling system is working properly? Unless air is constanly getting into my system causing blockage but I check and see no bubbles and no cold spots in the hoses top and bottom.

That's why I was thinking maybe stock radiator/fan ain't cuttin it when I run the engine for an extended period of time. Ever since I bleed the system it doesn't just overheat...it took quite some time and miles not to mention idleing in order for it to overheat. Am I on to something or on the wrong page?

1. Where is that slow leak coming from? A slow leak when the motor is off/cold is a bigger leak when it's hot and you're driving. Keep in mind, the coolant system is pressurized. Find and fix the leak!

2. Do you have the stock thermostat in there? I noticed this past weekend on my bone BONE stock 99 LX, my cruising temps were 189. High? Eh, not really because of the stock (185* t-stat), but with the tiny amount of coolant that's in your (any D-series) motor, and being that yours is boosted, it will heat it up pretty quickly. I would put a 160* thermostat in your car. Today. :) Best mod I've done yet for my LS1.

3. Yes, the intercooler will impede air flow to the radiator. Hard to fix without some major modification such as V-mount style, or side mount. What fan are you currently running? One of the most often overlooked but very important pieces on any coolant system is the fan shroud. You will GREATLY increase the efficiency of your fan/radiator by having a shroud.

Hope that helps!