took the skiis out for the first time

99ta

went out to buckeye this evening. man I am happy I bought these. ran great, no problems. just curious about something though. they are identical but one is about 5mph faster and runs about 500 more rpms. the faster one does not have an intake grate on it.....is that the difference or is there something else going on?

Sounds like one ski is making atleast 20 more HP than the other. The intake grate does two things, first it helps the ski stay "hooked up" or in other words glued to the water. The second thing it does is direct water into the tunnel. With an intake grate that ski should be even faster.

Eric, can you take pictures of the bottom of the ski so I can see what it looks like since the grate pulled out.

went out to buckeye this evening. man I am happy I bought these. ran great, no problems. just curious about something though. they are identical but one is about 5mph faster and runs about 500 more rpms. the faster one does not have an intake grate on it.....is that the difference or is there something else going on?

Glad you are happy with them. Speed wise, they have been like that in all the time that I had them. There are so many variables with the speed it is endless, could even be as simple as a wear ring. I never messed with anything because they both ran good. I even considered that one may have been rebuilt at one time before I owned them. It could have been even bored a bit but I have no idea. Like I said, they always ran great for me so I never wanted to mess with it. My brother and I always just stuck my dad on the slower one. I never really payed attention to the RPMs. I never rode them back to back either. Most of my time is spent on my RXP. I think it was the one that ended in 3 that was slower right? Sounds like the one that ends in 2 is the one that you should make sure your always on lol.

I dont remember them doing so but do they cavitate out of the hole?

Sounds like one ski is making atleast 20 more HP than the other. The intake grate does two things, first it helps the ski stay "hooked up" or in other words glued to the water. The second thing it does is direct water into the tunnel. With an intake grate that ski should be even faster.

Eric, can you take pictures of the bottom of the ski so I can see what it looks like since the grate pulled out.

Linn those 3 seaters never had a problem staying hooked up because they are so heavy. It is night and day difference from our skis. I miss them already. The only time I noticed any difference with not having the intake grate was when trying to cut a really hard turn. The grate isnt very aggressive on those skis either.

the faster one does not have the intake great. and it was even faster with my son and my brother on it. only difference I would tell was in the handling. I will take a pic tonight....

Glad you are happy with them. Speed wise, they have been like that in all the time that I had them. There are so many variables with the speed it is endless, could even be as simple as a wear ring. I never messed with anything because they both ran good. I even considered that one may have been rebuilt at one time before I owned them. It could have been even bored a bit but I have no idea. Like I said, they always ran great for me so I never wanted to mess with it. My brother and I always just stuck my dad on the slower one. I never really payed attention to the RPMs. I never rode them back to back either. Most of my time is spent on my RXP. I think it was the one that ended in 3 that was slower right? Sounds like the one that ends in 2 is the one that you should make sure your always on lol.

I dont remember them doing so but do they cavitate out of the hole?

I am very happy with them and I don't plan to change anything. they are fine. I was just curious if it could be something simple. and yes one bolt is sticking out and the other is flush. I think someone could weld a nut onto the one and back it out. but the other needs drilled out....

Like Chris said it could be a worn wear ring. It's a simple fix and we could have a new one in, in less than an hour. It's a $63 part.

hmm, I am not too worried about it right now. I don't want to fix whats not broken. they run fine. heres is apic of the bolts...

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s43/biggie2424/DSCF3015.jpg

I wouldnt touch em they are blast and the faster one handles just fine without the grate on it.

That's half the reason it was still like that when I sold them.

Eric I am really happy they are working out for you guys. To tell you the truth I'm almost regretting it. I don't have anything I can take to the lake on busy weekends like this one coming up. My RXP and my boat would beat the shit out of me way too much. I miss them already.