Odd question...

HotCarl

Ok, next week my family got a log cabin in Gattlinburg, Tenn for the week for a big family vacation. From what i understand its somewhat secluded in the woods.

Now i was already planning on bringing my Glock 26 b/c i have my ccw and all the states i'll be driving through ohio's CCW law's have reciprocity with, and my brother will be doing the same with his M&P .45. He brought up an interesting question, from what i understand there's a big bear problem down there, he suggested i bring my Mossberg 500 aswell?

Let me clear something up, ive never run into a bear in my life and never planned on it either. From what I THINK i understand of them, they may tear your trash can to shit but they usually stay away from people and out of homes and such, but ive never lived in an area where bears were a problem.

I think bringing the mossberg is a bit overkill, should i? FYI im driving down next week by myself in my own car so i can keep it in the trunk for transport. Just speaking caliber wise, i know my 9mm wont do shit to a bear except piss him off, i would think the same for the 45 aswell. A 12gauge may not kill but it will definitly hurt and deter, im not a hunter so i dont know.

what are your thoughts CR Gun Club?

I don't mean to demean your personal ability, but with a subcompact weapon I doubt you will have enough controlled gunfire to take down a charging bear. Black bears aren't that big compared to many other bears you could encounter, but they can be just as stubborn to kill.

There is no such thing as overkill here, just underkill. Your glock will be underkill. A 12gauge slug will be justenoughkill.

Bear spray would be your best bet, im in alaska now and locals swear by it. If your going gun wise though I think they make a shotgun shell that's loud with a big flash to more or less scare the bear off. Look around at a local Tenn. Hunting/fishing store and ask, they will know best.

Bear spray would be your best bet, im in alaska now and locals swear by it. If your going gun wise though I think they make a shotgun shell that's loud with a big flash to more or less scare the bear off. Look around at a local Tenn. Hunting/fishing store and ask, they will know best.

Fuck bear spray I would much rather have a 12ga then fuckin pepper spray. I say def bring the shotgun, it's better to be over prepared than under gunned.

Your best best is bear spray and avoidance. I've spent quite a bit of time in the NW and in terms of bear safety, being smart is best advice the rangers gave us.

Billy Bad-Ass with a shotgun and even 3" solid slugs will have but maybe 1 shot before a charging bear is upon them. We never got charged by a black bear, but thankfully, the ones we did see were not people aware and just as cautious of us as we were them.

Keep this in mind, black bears can run 25mph. That's 36' per second. As the one ranger said, at or even 100' which is the distance you are likely to walk up on a bear and have a confrontation, you'll get off perhaps 1 maybe 2 shots if you're lucky before that bear is on top of you. If the noise of the first shot doesn't scare him, their advice was to grab your bear spray because you're not likely to hit a charging bear with your second slug anyway.

They climb trees like a cat and unlike a Grizzly, if they see you as a food source, they will eat you alive vs kill you first. Yeah, the rangers did a good job of insuring we were in avoidance mode. Good news is most are out there hunting humans for food as they are content with berries and nuts. In terms of staying away from homes and humans....not necessarily true. Especially in park areas. Unlike the ones I've seen in the NW, the ones down where you're going are likely used to seeing people and cars and homes and won't be so cautious but rather more curious. Ever notice how many news stories in NJ show bears in peoples back yard bird feeders? Lots.

You really have nothing to worry about. I normally go down to the GSM area multiple times a year and very rarely see them much outside of the park. A couple times a year one may wonder into Gattlinburg, but normally that is the out skirts.

Only once have I had one come close to my cabin. The only sign I know one came through was when I found a fresh set of tracks in the mud when I was walking around the cabin.

One of my friends just took her honeymoon in Gatlinburg last week. They had a black bear walk right up to their cabin.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/254408_676205497107_50603106_34800940_5284179_n.jpg

Better safe than dead. I'd take every precaution.

Rented one of the big cabins about 5 years ago and never saw a thing. I think the one part you brought up is true stay away from them and they will of you. Make sure to get out and rent the quads and hit the river (They call it white water, but it isprettyy "g" rated.