typical size of boats on trailers

smokin5s

I'm looking to purchase a boat and trying to organize my barn as such.... Typically how wide are boats while they are on the trailer? I am assuming under 10 feet wide... would that be a fair guess? (BTW, we've been looking at 20 foot and below boats)

Joe, we're still completely up in the air on what boat to purchase... we honestly want a pontoon that is fast enough to pull a tube... I'm a family man now and I want to pull my 2 girls and maybe their friends.... water ski's or anything like that won't be wanted for a long time....

John, thanks for the info... that's what I was hoping to hear... I've made about 10 feet of width in my barn where a boat could be parked and still give me room to use everything else.

One other question, typically how far past the boat does the tongue of the trailer stick out?

Joe, we're still completely up in the air on what boat to purchase... we honestly want a pontoon that is fast enough to pull a tube... I'm a family man now and I want to pull my 2 girls and maybe their friends.... water ski's or anything like that won't be wanted for a long time....

John, thanks for the info... that's what I was hoping to hear... I've made about 10 feet of width in my barn where a boat could be parked and still give me room to use everything else.

One other question, typically how far past the boat does the tongue of the trailer stick out?

You can always buy a new trailer with a folding tongue. Then it typically folds all the way under the bow.

If the boat is 20' I would expect the boat and trailer to be atleast 5' longer. Keep in mind it's not just the trailer tongue you have to account for but, the outdrive and prop will stick out another 3' or so. With a 20' boat I would plan on having ~26' open.

If the boat is 20' I would expect the boat and trailer to be atleast 5' longer. Keep in mind it's not just the trailer tongue you have to account for but, the outdrive and prop will stick out another 3' or so. With a 20' boat I would plan on having ~26' open.

My Malibu is bigger than the trailer with the tounge folded in. Remember, not all boats are stern drives. :)

With the swim platform removed and the wedge put down, it is a touch over 21'. I just measured its width, tire edge to tire edge is 8'2", and the trailer guides (which angle out) have a top width of 8'4.5".