New Formula 1 engine scrapped...

Draco-REX

1 - I pretty sure going straight is the case in drag racing.. if thats not the case your doing it wrong

2 - you've obviously never watched real drifting before.. not talking about the kids who go do donuts and call it drifting

bracket racing is nothing special.. if you know your car and have it set up right it's not hard to be consistent and get dialed in.. and if you have enough money to spend on stalls, tires, line locks, etc your going to know what you should run

I will go to a drag strip.. i'd even put one of my cars on the track for the hell of it.. but I personally would go to a road course, drift event, etc before a drag strip

but as far as formula 1 goes.. i'm looking forward to seeing the turbo 1.6's.. i think its going to be interesting

:dumb: please learn to read, then come back and try again. please learn about racing, then come back and try again also. :dumb:

Turbochargers were invented around 1905. Archaic?

And as not a huge drag fan, I can say there is a ton that goes into not only setup and prep, but your reflexes must be extremely sharp and you do have to have skill to be any good.

NASCAR has had many influences on American auto industry. Scratch that, just auto industry. So has F1, rally, Le Mans...

Guest Z Fag Jr.

Draco-REX thats what I'm talking about innovative engineers coming up with solutions to problems. Thats what makes the racing so interesting is its awesome technical aspect!

Nickey427 obviously she can read. She knows more about racing then you (She also no doubt has higher education then you), just because people don't like something dosn't mean they weren't in a fast enough car. So do everybody a favor as you have nothing to add here and stfu. Then go stick one of those automatic shifters you love so much up your ass and piss off and let the rest of us talk about F1.

The point is nascar no longer has these influences as what it develops is no longer relevant to the auto industry.

Drag racing setups are fairly easy in that you are setting up for a constant IE strait line, constant acceleration over a known distance. with no variables as you should know your weight, horse power, spring rate, gearing ect. Tunning a setup to work under different conditions is much more difficult.

as far a drag racing.. set up can take a few minutes which is why you have practice laps before you dial in.. but for the most part you know what your working with and only have to adjust to how individual complexes prep the track.. and as far as the good reflex thing.. I've hit multiple perfect lights and never had a problem lol but I do know people who have issues with it

turbos may have been invented in the late 1800's/early 1900's but they have been developed greatly since then and continue to be

EV's (electric vehicles) were actually invented in the late 1800's as well.. the invention of the starter obviously killed them off for a while.. but the point is if they had been continually developed we'd be quite a bit more ahead in the technology

Formula 1's continued advances new technology has had a huge impact on the automotive field (not saying other racing doesnt have some impact).. I wouldn't be surprised to see a system resembling KERS on a hybrid in the next 5-10 years to make them suck a little less

• Downvote 1

D

Nickey427 obviously she can read. She knows more about racing then you (She also no doubt has higher education then you), just because people don't like something dosn't mean they weren't in a fast enough car. So do everybody a favor as you have nothing to add here and stfu. Then go stick one of those automatic shifters you love so much up your ass and piss off and let the rest of us talk about F1.

The point is nascar no longer has these influences as what it develops is no longer relevant to the auto industry.

Drag racing setups are fairly easy in that you are setting up for a constant IE strait line, constant acceleration over a known distance. with no variables as you should know your weight, horse power, spring rate, gearing ect. Tunning a setup to work under different conditions is much more difficult.

:dumb: You really are an ignorant noob. A few minutes to set up a consistent drag car? you really are fucking dumb.

No variables? Yet again, you show your ignorance to something you dont understand. The difference between day and night at the track, I've seen 3/10s difference with no other changes, thats the difference between a quarter final and final win. Changing tracks can fuck everything up also, so yes there are lots of variables to consider within drag racing.

Whats not to like about slush boxes? $100 says you cant out shift one, let alone out shift one consistently.

You're desperate if you're going so low as to insult my education.

since we are going so off topic i will go back to topic slowly with some of the first demotivational posters that pop up in google for specific topics:

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/political-pictures-nascar-natural-selection.jpg

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0809/formula-one-formula-one-racing-demotivational-poster-1221423708.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/chkaotic/Humor/motivational-dragracing.jpg

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0907/formula-one-demotivational-poster-1248254638.jpg

• Downvote 1

3.0 litre naturally aspirated V10 > all

i really miss that sound. i am really worried i will lose interest when the new 6's are out.

so what if the slower teams/cars cant compete? i do not want to see f1 go the way of nascar. if every team is competing for the win week in and week out, we are NOT seeing the pinnacle. that's what i want to see in f1. pinnacle top of the class. compete or die. if only three teams are fighting each other for the championship thats fine with me. webers charge thru the field was amazing. (and i have to root against the red bulls.)

Edited by Spidey2721

The move to smaller engines is not to help the slower teams. It really won't help them much at all since they don't develop their own engines. Right now the only engine suppliers are Ferrari, Renault, Mercedes, and Cosworth.

The reason for the switch was two fold. First, the FIA is always looking for a way to reduce costs. Lowering costs means more teams can compete. The original idea was to use a 1.6L I4T because the FIA has mandated I4s in all their other sanctioned racing series (WRC, Touring Car, etc). So the idea was that engine developers could use data from the other forms of racing and use it to cross-develop the engines, cutting costs.

The second reason was specifically to make F1 more relevant to street car development. Small displacement I4T engines are where the world is headed as far as everyday cars go. The switch was supposed to make it easier for F1 tech to be applied to road cars, making the car you buy more powerful while also being more efficient.

Unfortunately, the engine manufacturers couldn't agree on the I4 thing. Renault wanted it and had it as part of their contract. Cosworth, being the smallest of the manufacturers, will go the way the wind blows. But both Ferrari and Mercedes did n't like being limited to only 4 cylinders. Renault and Cosworth could not stand up to them, but F1 can't afford to lose two engine manufacturers. So a compromise was struck and they agreed on a V6.

Guest Z Fag Jr.
That six is going to be a lot better for packaging. The sound is still going to be great 12k rpm sounds very good. Its going to be fun to watch the new cars get out on track and all the great "performance enhancing idea's" that come with them.

Since all of these restrictions are in the name of "saving money" (which ends up being BS), and keeping HP down, why not go a route that is more oriented to actually being transfered to vehicles on the street? Such as allowing only street-car type fuels (say a more consistent version of 92 octane, as obviously gas at the pump is too variable for a race car engine), or greener type of fuels? Or make them hit an emissions compliance?

Sounds lame for a race car, but IMO gives a far broader array of what motor developers could come up with.

Where's that graph that shows $ Spent per Point Earned in a season. There was one done just after Toyota joined which was worthy of LOLs.

However, Ferrari just likes to complain. What ever happened to that F1 alternative that there was talks of? I don't follow F1 heavily.