Honda Civic A/C Compressor Question

mrblunt

My boss has a early 90's civic 4 door. His A/c goes out intermittently so a mechanic had told him originally that it was some type of solenoid on the compressor that was overheating. He then bypassed that solenoid and connected the 12v power from the factory relay directly to the compressor. That worked but didn't solve the problem. Sometimes his A/c works and sometimes it doesn't. Someone then recommended bypassing the factory PCM and relays and hooking a toggle switch up to the compressor to power the A/C clutch manually. I don't know how the PCM regulates voltage to the compressor clutch myself but I want to say this is a bad idea. I'm hoping someone in the know can let me know if this is a viable solution or if he needs to hook the PCM back up to the compressor and keep searching for whatever electrical gremlin is currently cutting power intermittently. Thanks in advance.

issue maybe the stator is bad or going bad, it sits behind the a/c clutch, but another common issue on the older Honda's would be the high pressure switch, seen quit a few of those go bad, and fyi you can't just swap it out, you'll have to evac the system replace it then recharge