Who in/around Central Ohio can do an SBS?

Guest Hal

Just like the title says, I'm looking for a good gunsmith in or around the area that can do an SBS with the Mossberg 500A I just got from Mike. Does anyone know who to go to?

If you don't know anyone local, is there anyone that you have had do work in the past that is worth sending a gun out to?

Actually, Mossberg makes 14" barrels aswell and I believe down to 12". Can't remember if they're M500's or 590's, but doing the paperwork/license, then slapping the barrel on might be easier.

Here's a 590 set up:

That paperwork/legality was my main concern. I have the tools to cut it down or to just replace the barrel, but I wasn't sure if I could do it myself and still stay legal. I'm not an NFA expert by any means.

Do you have the paperwork?

KillJoy

Nope, I just picked the shotgun up tonight. I just want to start getting into more NFA items and thought this would be a good start. From this I'll move to a can on my JC Higgins model 29.

That paperwork/legality was my main concern. I have the tools to cut it down or to just replace the barrel, but I wasn't sure if I could do it myself and still stay legal. I'm not an NFA expert by any means.

Check with Mossberg on the barrels, I've seen a few shorties before. Check into the 590A1's, they're barrels are thicker. You could get a pretty even cut with a band saw, but you have to drill for the bead sight or solder your own rifle sight.

Factory 14"- http://www.impactguns.com/mossberg-590-a1-short-barrel-shotgun-14in-ghost-ring-night-sights-speedfeed-stock-52689-0.aspx

Check with Mossberg on the barrels, I've seen a few shorties before. Check into the 590A1's, they're barrels are thicker. You could get a pretty even cut with a band saw, but you have to drill for the bead sight or solder your own rifle sight.

Factory 14"- http://www.impactguns.com/mossberg-590-a1-short-barrel-shotgun-14in-ghost-ring-night-sights-speedfeed-stock-52689-0.aspx

Thanks Scott, I'll check with them for a barrel.

I'm going to look into the paperwork this week. The cutting and drilling will be no issue. I've got access to a nice private machine shop to take care of most of the things I need to do. I've been getting into gunsmithing more and more so this could be a fun project.

Thanks Scott, I'll check with them for a barrel.

I'm going to look into the paperwork this week. The cutting and drilling will be no issue. I've got access to a nice private machine shop to take care of most of the things I need to do. I've been getting into gunsmithing more and more so this could be a fun project.

Agreed. Do a Stoeger Coach Gun next if you're bored :cool:

Agreed. Do a Stoeger Coach Gun next if you're bored :cool:

Oh, it is on the list. :fuckyeah:

P.S. You got me obsessed with getting another 30-30 and customizing that.

Hal,

In order to build a SBS yourself, you have to put it on an ATF Form 1. ( http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf )

1. Fill out form 1 (I formed a trust and put my SBS in the trust's name with me as the grantor and trustee) . I did this to circumvent the CLEO sign-off process since no one in pickaway county will sign

them.

2. Send in paperwork and $200 to ATF.

3. Wait

4. Wait

5. Wait

6. Wait some more.

7. Hopefully get form 1 back approved .

8. Chop off barrel.

Let me know if you need anymore help with the process.

I formed a trust and put my SBS in the trust's name with me as the grantor and trustee) . I did this to circumvent the CLEO sign-off process since no one in pickaway county will sign them.

Who did you use to setup the Trust, what did it cost, and how long did the Trust creation process take?

KillJoy

Who did you use to setup the Trust, what did it cost, and how long did the Trust creation process take?

KillJoy

I'm just looking into legalzoom.com after hearing a couple of good reviews. Once I get the trust I think I'm going to start with an easier project and just do a coach gun like Scott suggested.

You are the 4th owner of that Mossberg 500a on this board. The gun has less than 15 rounds through it though. I had it for 3 years and shot it one time and put 5 rounds through it.

Lol, awesome. I wonder how long it will be until I sell it off.

Oh, it is on the list. :fuckyeah:

P.S. You got me obsessed with getting another 30-30 and customizing that.

Grizzly Custom Guns Brush Hawg is fucking sick. I still have the one I traded the XD with you for. I'm getting XS ghost rings, scout mount, big loop and working in the trigger soon. I plan to replace the wood for a darker finish and have it recoated in a darker/parkerized finish. Might take her to kill some hogs soon.

Similar set up:

http://www.grizzlycustom.com/pagethumbs/grizzly_custom_marlin_1895gs_kp_rear_sight_1_450.png

An 1895 Guide gun in .45-70 is also next on the lever gun list. I'd love to do a 14" barrel set up, hogue style stock, and a scout rail with an EOTECH for a nice backwoods powerhouse.