Is there a car for 30k that is more appealing than the new 5.0?

Aaron

I don't know which number they are but the turbo awd mitsubishi Evolutions (the one before the current one) are pretty sweet and good in dry/rain/snow- I wanted to trade the vette in on one to get more use out of it (4 doors with kids now is more appealing) but the wife wont let me ;-) Have you considered an 03-04 cobra or GTO and a beater? You would prob be money ahead.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know which number they are but the turbo awd mitsubishi Evolutions (the one before the current one) are pretty sweet and good in dry/rain/snow- I wanted to trade the vette in on one to get more use out of it (4 doors with kids now is more appealing) but the wife wont let me ;-) Have you considered an 03-04 cobra or GTO and a beater? You would prob be money ahead.

Yeah, the cobras with low mileage are low 20's. The cheapest 5.0 is a 2011 with 5k miles for 26900 with a 6/100k warranty.

I did look at the GTO's. The LS2 ones are amazingly priced.

Depends on your needs.....are you married, kids, girlfriend, etc?

They are a good buy but are you going to spend a majority of your time racing and/or at the track? How far do you drive for work?

Married, no kids, 2 med/large dogs.

Drive to work is about 10 miles, and I usually go home for lunch. So 40 miles per day. I am averaging about 20k per year so far on my GTI.

Just curious what other people thought of the current car climate of high mileage economy cars and fantastically powered sports cars/sedans.

To me, minus the 5.0 and the upcoming Golf R, there isn't much that I like short of the B8 S4 and E92 M3.

I am hoping that the new A3 is nice, and that they bring an S and RS3 in about 5 years.

If you're concerned about driving it in the snow and that's keeping you from pulling the trigger, then add in a good set of snows and wipe off your man card :)

I'm trying to talk him into it.....

Its not a matter of IF I can drive it all year, it is whether I WANT to drive it all year.

I am quite large, and even though I fit in the mustang, it isn't nearly as comfortable as my GTI is. I have to consider these things since it would most likely be my only car.

The answer usually is, that I am not willing to compromise enough to get me the "better" car. I have done this before, and been unable to pull the trigger.

Its not a matter of IF I can drive it all year, it is whether I WANT to drive it all year.

I am quite large, and even though I fit in the mustang, it isn't nearly as comfortable as my GTI is. I have to consider these things since it would most likely be my only car.

The answer usually is, that I am not willing to compromise enough to get me the "better" car. I have done this before, and been unable to pull the trigger.

Then stop making stupid threads about it.

:dumb:

You're in Columbus, Ohio. Real winter is like 3 weeks long. Cars to me are like pussy. I don't care if I have to tolerate 3 weeks of hell, I will do so for pussy (substitute 5.0L which is like sex IMO) That said, I would take uncomfortable sex all day lone vs getting none.

You're in Columbus, Ohio. Real winter is like 3 weeks long. Cars to me are like pussy. I don't care if I have to tolerate 3 weeks of hell, I will do so for pussy (substitute 5.0L)

This analogy won't work for him, as he's a homosexual.

:dumb:

You're in Columbus, Ohio. Real winter is like 3 weeks long. Cars to me are like pussy. I don't care if I have to tolerate 3 weeks of hell, I will do so for pussy (substitute 5.0L)

I know, Jones has said this x10000.

I am going to drive them again tomorrow morning. You will know my decision at C&C Saturday.

98% says GTI.

This analogy won't work for him, as he's a homosexual.:dumb:

I know, Jones has said this x10000.

I am going to drive them again tomorrow morning. You will know my decision at C&C Saturday.

98% says GTI.

:yuno: come on, don't put validity behind Jones' comment. Go 5.0L

Boils down to this: As illustrated in the above videos, if you're a dousche without a "driving" mancard, yes, your 5.0 will get stuck on a 1% incline. If you know how to drive, you will be fine (read: know what pedaling is, know the feel of the car and when it's spinning/sliding, don't try to corner in the snow like you would on dry pavement).

Basically, just buy it and see what happens in the snow. The worst thing you'll have to do is spend $200 on a Civic that will get you anywhere you need to go in the snow.

While maybe not necessarily up your alley considering the Rabbit and prospect of the Mustang, the turbo Buick seems like it would be worth driving in that price range.

I don't know much about the performance, and I wouldn't expect it to be as good in that area as the mustang, I really like the way the Challenger's look.

I'd agree it's the shining gem in that range, especially in the performance area, but I couldn't drive just 1 car and spend $30k on it.

$30 is almost RS4 territory, just saying.

The new Buick Regal turbo I wouldn't mind having. It will fill that German car hole you have, you know power can be boosted to at least match what the Opel Insignia OPC is making, 325hp, the OPC is in the same class as the S4. Too bad its FWD.

With that being said, I'd probably buy the Mustang if I was looking for a performance car. In reality, I'd just buy an older car, b6 S4, e46 M3, rs6, whatever, and have some cash left over and have something that I think is a better car.