Opinions on new(er) car for wife...

Bobby Lee

My wife currently has an '09 Silverado with the V6 (horrible choice of DD) that we will be looking to trade in within the next 6 months. I was hoping you all could make some suggestions as to what we should look at and/or consider. Here's the requirements:

-No more than 5 years old

-Under $25k

-Less than 30k miles

-MPG around 28, preferably better

-FWD or AWD

-Preferably four dours but coupes will be considered as well

-She does not like wagons or hatchbacks

If I think of anything else, I'll add it. Thanks for your input.

We love my fiances new Sonata turbo. It's an SE with Navigation and was right around 26k, if you lose the Navi you are right around 25k but they still have tons of cool options most makes don't even offer (push button start is nice). You have a sweet 4 door midsize with 275hp and we can easily get 32mpg average, I even averaged 38mpg on a tank of gas on our way to Florida. Best new car for the money right now, imo.

They are getting most of the first year issues worked out with the new Cruze, buy a '12 and profit. I really hated them at first, and about a dozen recalls later they are going to be decent cars for the money. 4 cylinder Malibus aren't bad either, I really would not want to own GM's VVT V6s. The new Regal turbo looks cool too, but I have yet to see one in person.

I'm sure there are other cars out there to consider but I'm a GM tech so thats my 2 cents.

They are getting most of the first year issues worked out with the new Cruze, buy a '12 and profit. I really hated them at first, and about a dozen recalls later they are going to be decent cars for the money. 4 cylinder Malibus aren't bad either, I really would not want to own GM's VVT V6s. The new Regal turbo looks cool too, but I have yet to see one in person.

I'm sure there are other cars out there to consider but I'm a GM tech so thats my 2 cents.

The Regal turbo's are everywhere up here. They look pretty good, and handle well. I drove a 2.4L and my only complaint was that it was too slow. The 2.0T should fix that.

Thanks for the helpful input and inappropriate remarks. I wouldn't expect anything less out of CR. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Sonata the same platform as the Kia Optima? The top three that she's shown interest in are the turbo Optima, Fusion Hybrid, and Jetta TDI.

08 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro, with CPO warranty. Can likely be had under that budget. AWD, gets the mileage you want. My wife loves hers - it's not fast by any stretch, but has enough pep to not piss you off at least.

Might also consider an 08 Lexus IS250 AWD. Will be at the top of your budget for sure, but they are nice (though slow) cars.

08-09 Cadillac CTS-4. Nice cars, close enough to your fuel economy needs, AWD, should find one in your budget pretty easily.

We just bought a 2011 Outback Premium for a little less than what you want to spend. We love it. I'm averaging about 28 mpg and thats with AWD. There is a ton of room for driver and passengers and plenty of room in the back for storage. I know its waggonish but it also has similar looks to an SUV.