found a black widow spider in my barn

smokin5s

I killed it of course, but what can I do to get rid of them if there are any more... my main concern is we do park our quads, tractor, and 2 of our vehicles that we don't drive every day in the barn. Since the barn has a gravel floor it's obviously not airtight or anywhere close to it. so could I let us a few bug foggers in there to take care of the issue as well as spraying that bug shit around the base of the barn similar to what I spray around my basement once a season to keep the spiders out of the house?

It was definately a black widow because it had the red hour glass on it's butt. I have young children and don't need them to get harmed as well as let's face it, I don't want bit by one of those fuckers either.

so what's my best course of action to elimiate these fuckers from my barn?

I'd be surprised if any technique will guarantee that you won't have black widow spiders in a barn in Ohio. I found this on the Univ. of TN Agricultural Extension Service site and thought it might be helpful to you:

Reducing black widow populations around structures involves

two steps:

1. Changing the environment so it is less attractive to spiders.

2. Finding and destroying spiders.

Use the following measures to control spiders around structures:

• Eliminate spiders and discourage their return by routinely

cleaning the house. Spiders, webs and egg sacs can be

removed effectively with a vacuum cleaner, broom or duster

such as a Webster.

• Reduce clutter in closets, garages, basements, attics, crawl

spaces and outbuildings to make these quiet, undisturbed

areas less attractive to spiders. During this cleanup, it is helpful

to wear protective clothing such as long sleeves, long

pants, boot, gloves and a hat. A pest control technician was

bitten when a spider ran under his glove and upon reaching

a tight spot, stopped and bit the technician. A situation like

this could possibly be avoided if gloves are taped to the

sleeve and socks taped to the pants.

• Use glue boards or sticky traps placed against edges near

entry points into the structure (doors, windows, garage doors

and crawlspace vents) to catch and detect spiders.

• Inspect and clean outdoor shutters, placing an emphasis on

the areas behind the shutters.

CONTROL

Chemical Control:

Since the vast majority of spiders and other arthropods are

either harmless or beneficial, treat only if you have a black

widow infestation. Apply insecticides to the habitats

frequented by these spiders when you detect an infestation.

Repeat the applications at intervals specified on the label as

needed to eliminate the spider infestation.

To further impede spider entry into the home, a barrier

spray of insecticide can be applied around the base of the house

and possible entry points such as door thresholds, garage and

crawlspace entrances and foundation vents. Synthetic

pyrethroids (bifenthrin, cypermethrin, cyfluthrin, deltamethrin,

lambda-cyhalothrin,) can be applied and may need to be

reapplied throughout the summer. Bayer Advanced Home

Indoor and Outdoor Insect Killer (cyfluthrin) and Ortho Home

Defense Perimeter and Indoor Insect Killer (bifenthrin) are

available to the general public. Wettable powder or

microencapsulated (“slow-release”) formulations are

particularly effective.

• Use yellow “bug” lights or sodium vapor lights to attract less

insects and subsequently less spiders to the structure.

• Spiders often congregate around the outdoor perimeter of a

structure and tend to move indoors as winter approaches.

Reduce migration indoors by moving firewood, building

materials and debris away from the foundation. Trim or

remove trees, vines or tee limbs from touching the side of the

structure.

• Black widows prefer closed, dark places such as water meter

compartments and crawl spaces, so barriers constructed to inhibit

entrance to these areas are of value. Seal possible entry points

into the structure. Pipe penetrations through the foundation can

be sealed with steel wool or copper mesh followed with an

expandable foam. Caulking can also be used in these

locations. Doors and windows can be sealed with weather

stripping or door sweeps. Ensure window, crawlspace and

vent screens are tight-fitting and without holes. See

Extension PB1303, Managing Pests Around the Home, for

more suggestions on pest-proofing the home.

utextension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/PB1193.pdf

The publication also suggested behaviors which help people avoid being bitten. It might be helpful to review those points with your family.

This was also in the article:

Black widow spiders are very numerous in nearly all parts of the U.S.,

but cases of reported bites are rare. For the most part, black

widows live peacefully in close proximity to humans with little

contact. Although both male and female black widow spiders

are highly venomous, according to our knowledge, no reports

of bites from the males have been recorded.

I hope this was helpful. :)

I use a farm spray from Tractor Supply called CV80D. You can spray it on an insect and it immediately fucks up their central nervous system. If I remember correctly, it doesn't actually say it works on spiders but it does. I spray around the lower corners of my garage maybe once every two weeks or so. It seems to repel them for a good while.

I use a farm spray from Tractor Supply called CV80D. You can spray it on an insect and it immediately fucks up their central nervous system.

Sounds like nasty stuff. IMO for my own health I'd rather chanced a rare Black Widow bite vs living with something in the environment that fucks up the nervous system of anything. :no:

When the fuck did Ohio get black widows?

Thread shifts to "Evolution vs. Creationism" in 3...2...1...

If you have a cool and shady area, such as a barn, shed, or garage, you will have Black Widow Spiders in it. You just won't notice them because most of them are tiny...

Oh, I'm sure there's a lot more of them... that's what I'm concerned about... I don't want one to decide to live on one of the quads then crawl up someone's leg and bite them while they are riding... or decide that the truck or Pacifica would make them a nice home, and either build a nest and populate more of those fuckers inside the vehicle, or come bite someone when we actually do drive it. (the Pacifica I'm more worried about than the truck since it's typically just me in the truck, but the whole family piles into the Pacifica for vacations or whenever we need the additional seating.)

so is this pretty common to have them in a barn?

Honestly it freaked me the fuck out last night because it was sitting next to the latch that I open the garage door with so I could have easily put my hand on it and gotten bitten.

I was planning on building shelves this weekend in the barn to help with the small pockets of clutter in the barn, but if I need to wear gloves and long sleve shirts and shit, I might wait until it cools down... Or just over fog the barn like a mad man, spray ortho all around the parimeter and then work on cleaning it all up afterwards.

As far as our house, we have been spraying the ortho home defense stuff since it was built last fall and knock on wood, I haven't seen a single bug inside the house (except for those fucking bettles that fly in the door when you open it... hate those fuckers!)

Thread shifts to "Evolution vs. Creationism" in 3...2...1...

If you have a cool and shady area, such as a barn, shed, or garage, you will have Black Widow Spiders in it. You just won't notice them because most of them are tiny...

most are tiny? wtf? then how the hell did I end up with the big ones? Are they feeding on field mice or something?

Your post has inspired me to go get some Terro products. Yesterday I tracked some carpenter ants living in the backyard where we have a lot of trees and what not. Sprayed and killed them but Terro has some pretty effective baits too.

You've seen my centipede posts and while they eat spiders unless some is going to trap them live I'm taking them out.

Black widow spiders are not nearly as commonplace as they are in other parts of the country. It southern California, I can guarantee you I can find one within 2minutes if you were to randomly ask me at anytime. People aren't dying off and nobody is losing all their children. They're a very shy insect. Worry about the recluses.

Pretty much what Doc posted covers the rest of the ground.

or decide that the truck or Pacifica would make them a nice home, and either build a nest and populate more of those fuckers inside the vehicle, or come bite someone when we actually do drive it. (the Pacifica I'm more worried about than the truck since it's typically just me in the truck, but the whole family piles into the Pacifica for vacations or whenever we need the additional seating.)

You shouldn't have any problems with this, I don't think even spiders would ever want to ride in a Pacifica. ;)

You shouldn't have any problems with this, I don't think even spiders would ever want to ride in a Pacifica. ;)

Pacifica is the best family vehicle that we've ever owned... the F-150 on the other hand, I'm sure Spiders even have limits what what they are willing to be seen in.

Your post has inspired me to go get some Terro products. Yesterday I tracked some carpenter ants living in the backyard where we have a lot of trees and what not. Sprayed and killed them but Terro has some pretty effective baits too.

You've seen my centipede posts and while they eat spiders unless some is going to trap them live I'm taking them out.

is Terro a spray or powder or fogger? Also, will it work in the barn if I close everything up? remember gravel floors

is Terro a spray or powder or fogger? Also, will it work in the barn if I close everything up? remember gravel floors

They have spray, but in your case, what I would do is both a spray around the outside and inside from the floor up to say the first 2ft of wall.

With Terro, they also make a glue trap. Similar to a glue mouse trap. There's a video on their site. What I am planning on doing is putting the sticky traps along the wall under the wash basin in my basement and near the sump pump along the wall. You might want to place them near the corner areas inside the barn or on window sills.

I'm not sure how BIG the barn is, thus I'm not sure an aerosol fogger would do much in there ? What I've used in our Attic to kill a huge hive of bees was this http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fop_fum.asp Worked great. I cculd see setting off a couple of these in a barn with a few fans going to get it all over. In my case, the attic was pretty big and I used two just in case the bees flew to the other side. I set one off on each end as I have access from my son's room where they were and then from the garage on the other side of our house. Even this version says only 875sq ft http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fogger/

Black widow spiders are not nearly as commonplace as they are in other parts of the country. It southern California, I can guarantee you I can find one within 2minutes if you were to randomly ask me at anytime. People aren't dying off and nobody is losing all their children. They're a very shy insect. Worry about the recluses.

Pretty much what Doc posted covers the rest of the ground.

This is da truf.