Insurance + rental car question

JaSSon

My brother got rear ended Wednesday. The other person was cited at fault. It took the body shop/insurance until today to decide his car was totaled. Now they're giving him grief about the rental. They're rushing into buying a new car or they're going to charge him for the rental. Can they do this? So far as I know he hasn't signed anything yet.

My brother got rear ended Wednesday. The other person was cited at fault. It took the body shop/insurance until today to decide his car was totaled. Now they're giving him grief about the rental. They're rushing into buying a new car or they're going to charge him for the rental. Can they do this? So far as I know he hasn't signed anything yet.

I honestly can't say, I've had a rental car 1month+ on the other person's dime while mine was being repaired though. Maybe get his insurance company involved somehow if he has the appropriate coverage. They'll go after his for the money.

well its kind of a tricky situation, the at fault insurance co will do anything and everything they can to make it as cost effective for them as they can. ur brother will be protected by ohio law that states he has X amount of time to look for a new car he would have to read his policy. and if the other insurance co still pushes have him ask them to show in wrrighting where is states exactly how much time he has to find a new car... and if they are un able to do so then rly its there lose not his.

I just went through this 2 months ago. Once the at fault insurance finds that the car is totaled and starts the process of giving him fair market value of his vehicle then they are no longer responsible for a rental car for him. His own insurance company (if he chooses to file a claim) depending on his policy may allow him to have a rental through them at a discounted rate. THIS PROCESS SUCKS.

Just have him contact his insurance company. His company should take care of the rental and then go after the other company to cover the expense. You are not required to deal with their insurance company. You can deal with your own company or just get an attorney and sue the person at-fault. They are the one who owes for the damages. If their insurance pays for it, that is great for them. The responsibility is still theirs.

I had a rental for 2 months when my car was a total. The insurance company of the 'other guy' paid for the rental until my appointment to get my car inspected to change the title back to rebuilt.

Good luck!