Stock motors that can handle a lot of boost.

ColdFusion

In stock form the 7M is def NOT reliable! But how hard is it to torque the head down more? 7m's can be a potent motor when you are speaking cash vs performance. You can find them cheap all day long, and it takes next to nothing to raise the HP substantially.

Many people have built fast reliable 7m's. I have had mine for 2 years now (I do have HKS metal HG, and ARP studs) , drive it to the track, all around town, other states, many states away to import alliance all at 15 psi on the stock CT26. Never had a problem.

The other thing about owning a 7M, check the oil constantly! Hell even over fill it a little bit. Fully rebuilt 7M's still chew through the oil!

Now is a 7M better than a JZ series motor..... NO, but it is still a valid option and deserves notation.

I agree with what you say for the most part but will add this. I've never had a 7m motor that ate oil. If anything, I've been suprised at how little oil I've always had to add.

Also, of course a stock 7m is not reliable! Many of them are OVER 20YRS OLD! You deserve to have your motor give if you're trying to run a 20yr old turbo motor like it has 500mi on it that along with the undertorqued heads and you get a lot of problems.

And this powerband the other 'retard' (idiot, glad your gf has more tact than you) is talking about it, makes no sense. So many things affect powerband for one thing. For the other, please explain to me why the powerband is so bad in the 7m? Are we even talking stock for stock or what here?

Fubar, I told you were in trouble before you ever got your car back form that shop. Again, not the motor's fault, but those who built it.

Again, learn to build and maintain it properly and it's a great motor. Simple as that. It's been done far too many times to deny it.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think age of motor design has anything to do with this thread. If people start talking about age of design/technology used/etc... it turns the whole thing into a cluster f*ck. We should just stick to can the motor handle a lot of boost.

You have to ship a RB to you and parts are overpriced . The KA engines are no way able to handle high boost unless you can tune your ass off. They are iffy at even 8-10 psi. They have cast cranks and rods. The SR20 engines are the only 4 cylinder option from Nissan. I personally wouldn't touch a focus engine when you can slap on a Volvo head onto the old 2.3 and make shit tons of hp with a solid aftermarket.

If you want cheap hp, a 2j, 5.3 gm truck motor is the way to go. For 4 cylinders its a SR20, dodge 2.2/2.4 dohc, 4g63, honda K-series, chevy's ecotec, etc. There are so many ways to skin a cat.

LOL you are an idiot, i personally know several people running 400whp+ on pump gas daily. The svt block is rated to 800whp, the rods/pistons fail around 500whp. This is a factory n/a motor. Show me a 4 banger that can do that with 10.2:1 comp on pump gas.

svt engine is different than the zetec.

go fuck yourself :dumb:

I don't think age of motor design has anything to do with this thread. If people start talking about age of design/technology used/etc... it turns the whole thing into a cluster f*ck. We should just stick to can the motor handle a lot of boost.

fuck motor design... im talking about proven numbers...

And this powerband the other 'retard' (idiot, glad your gf has more tact than you) is talking about it, makes no sense. So many things affect powerband for one thing. For the other, please explain to me why the powerband is so bad in the 7m? Are we even talking stock for stock or what here?

My 1j's power band doesn't really pick up till around 4k. Feels like its only running on 1 turbo.

:gabe:

Fubar, I told you were in trouble before you ever got your car back form that shop. Again, not the motor's fault, but those who built it.

Man im suprised the motor lasted as long as it did the way i treated that car. Yeah i kept fluids changed and shit up to date but i beat the shit outta that car lol. Also, if it wasn't a auto and had a cleaner body i would of just jz swapped it instead of getting the camaro.

But yeah, never said it was the motors fault, i just know how those things work lol.

Man im suprised the motor lasted as long as it did the way i treated that car. Yeah i kept fluids changed and shit up to date but i beat the shit outta that car lol. Also, if it wasn't a auto and had a cleaner body i would of just jz swapped it instead of getting the camaro.

But yeah, never said it was the motors fault, i just know how those things work lol.

1. Sell the camaro

2. Find a clean shell

3. Swap it full of jz goodness

4. roll race for moneyz

5. Profit

LOL you are an idiot, i personally know several people running 400whp+ on pump gas daily. The svt block is rated to 800whp, the rods/pistons fail around 500whp. This is a factory n/a motor. Show me a 4 banger that can do that with 10.2:1 comp on pump gas.

go fuck yourself :dumb:

Where are these "people you personally know"? Local?

i personally know several people running 400whp+ on pump gas daily. The svt block is rated to 800whp, the rods/pistons fail around 500whp. This is a factory n/a motor. Show me a 4 banger that can do that with 10.2:1 comp on pump gas.

+1

The 96+ Cobra blocks will handle over 1,200hp+. Good pistons/rods and they handle a LOT of power even with the older heads/cams. The 03/04 heads will make more power...

96-98 had 9.85:1 compression.

They are very stout motors I would say closer to 500whp on stock rods/pistons but that is pushing it.

Ben Dorn went low-10's on a stock motor '98 Cobra making around 600whp before the rods let go...

They don't respond to bolt-on's like the LSx motors but with Supercharger/Turbo(s) they will make stupid power.... ;)

If you mean completely STOCK bottom end, there are guys making over 1,000hp on the 03/04 Cobra's but a top end run and they are done. Your talking closer to 600-800 for drag duties with a proper tune. Like anything, some have made more before they popped and some have made less. The stock rods won't take long periods of high RPM at 700+...

Where are these "people you personally know"? Local?

One is an ohio resident, his name is john and lives in piketon. The other two live out of state in north carolina where my family vacations.

thanks. :dumb:

Ps: John just recently sold the orange monster to fund his c5z build.

One is an ohio resident, his name is john and lives in piketon. The other two live out of state in north carolina where my family vacations.

thanks. :dumb:

Ps: John just recently sold the orange monster to fund his c5z build.

You are aware that JP's excrement likely contains more real world automotive knowledge than your entire body ?

You about to get gaped son!

:dumb:

You are aware that JP's excrement likely contains more real world automotive knowledge than your entire body ?

You about to get gaped son!

:dumb:

Like i give a shit? You fail to understand how i work. Anyway, yes i do know people who have put down 400 whp on the stock SVT block. I was the first person he asked to buy the car in february when he listed it for sale.

Besides his realm of knowledge doesnt exceed the 4g platform. :dumb:

BY "exceed" I'm going to assume your challenged ass meant to say, "does not extend beyond the 4g platform".

In which case, you would be doubly wrong.

:dumb: x :dumb: = :dumb:

Edited by Jones