Pop-up Camper people join me for a discussion

mrblunt

I just purchased a 2000 Coleman pop-up. I had a friend upsizing and he made me a phenomenal deal on it. It has an awning that needs replaced and I have to get an AC unit for it or my wife wont set foot in it during these hot months. Other than that the thing is pretty mint inside. He took amazing care of it so getting it for 1k was just too good of a deal to pass up.

Does anyone know of an active forum for modding these things? Is there a reputable location locally or a website to source aftermarket parts for these? Can anyone recommend a solid bike rack for the top of the camper?

For those of you who are campers is there any campgrounds within 3-4 hrs driving distance that are 'must stays'? I have 3 girls spanning from 1 - 9 so I need something family friendly with stuff that they would enjoy. I know KOA has some parks that are full of stuff but does anyone know of others that they would recommend?

Thanks!

this is absolutely a must:

http://www.eastharborstatepark.org/

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/parks/eastharbor/tabid/733/Default.aspx

The family goes up every year in july. We usually hit put in bay, cedar point, sandusky and port clinton. Lots of good fishing and that camp ground is within a short walk to lake erie. The park butts up against the shore of the lake.

what year is it? pix?

I might have a buddy that has an awning he'd sell you. I'm not completely sure if he still has it but I'll ask him. What would you want to pay for a new one? The awning on his old pop up was torn up so he bought a new one.....ended up selling his pop up before replacing the awning. I'll ask him if he still has it. PM me what you want to offer him for it and I'll pass that info along too.

check out modmyrv.com....might have some mods there that would translate over. I think most of those are for 5ers and motorhomes but a lot will transfer.

There is a good supply place off morse and I believe sunbury. Sorry I cannot remember the name but they do have a decent selection of parts and supplies.

Post's.....that's where I bought my 5er.

http://www.columbusdsm.com/blunt/2011/Coleman-Utah-pop-up-camper.jpg

This is pretty much what it will look like minus the AC on top. Ours is missing the AC (for now).

I take delivery on Thursday, I'm pretty stoked. My girls were really excited to hear that we got it. I just want to do some fun stuff with them while they are little and develop those memories.

Thanks for the links I'm going to look through each one. I've been hearing from friends that do a lot of camping that there are some cool events around Halloween time at some of these camp grounds.

Bam - longs looks pretty awesome for family fun. They have a ton of stuff to do. We are thinking about hitting it up next month

Edited by WhiteHot

If you're going to do a lot of summer camping that a/c will come in handy but IMO it's not completely necessary. Most of the time at night you can open up the camper and it'll actually be cool out. The exception is when it's really humid or raining. That's when an a/c really comes in handy. I would also recommend getting a generator to wag around. I do mostly primitive camping so there's no hook ups. It's nice having that option and even though you can get a few days out of your battery having that portable power is awesome.

How does the ac work in a pop up? I mean there are no walls so how effective at keeping cool is it?

Longs was really fun, plenty of free stuff to do, and everything that does cost ranges from lie $.10 to like $4. We tried everything at least once, But my kids had plenty of fun walking up and down the creek catching bugs/minnows/tadpoles.

We're going back mid august.

We have a new born so during the day when she will need to take a nap so the AC would come in handy. I'll admit that I absolutely hate sleeping in the heat. When its 80 out during the day and the 60 at night I can manage, but this 93* shit we are seeing right now just won't do.

Longs looks pretty cool. My daughters will spend the entire day on that water slide.

I have friends that regularly vacation at LakeSide so I'm going to chat with him about East Harbor tomorrow at work. My brother in law keeps his boat up at lake erie so I'm thinking we can do some camping and spend time with family. There is just a lot of great things to do in that area that we will probably drop a lot of coin up there too :)

PS - I hate you! $1k is CHEEEAAAPP!!

That's exactly how I sold this to my wife. If we use it 3-4 times it will pay for itself. As a kid my family vacationed in southern ohio and those are some of the best memories I have from my childhood. I really hope to start that with my girls.

this is exactly how it gets started......you guys will go a few times and then you'll start wanting more creature comforts. Camping is a great family thing to do....it's something everyone will enjoy. The great thing is that you're wife will probably be the one to say "how much are those travel trailers?" if she ever walks into one and checks out the room and creature comforts they have.

That's what happened to us. We started doing some family trips in my old pop up. All my buddies had travel trailers and 5ers. Didn't take long for her to realize that my pop up was more suited to me and a buddy going hunting in. This year she was the one that wanted to start camper shopping and I wasn't arguing with her. Started looking at travel trailers and ended up in a 34' fifth wheel. Some of the new travel trailers we looked at were off the hook....power everything, outdoor kitchens, and all kinds of features. I just couldn't get past the 6'6 ceilings.....I like the tall ceilings in the 5ers.