First set of DSLR shots.

mrhobbz

I sit just me or does the color not look very natural in the first two outdoor pics?

Late day sun on a hot summer day. Lots play into that. Without the Exif in tact I can't determine too much, but that's an easy fix.

I sit just me or does the color not look very natural in the first two outdoor pics?

First one I also added some exposure and vibrance after pulling the raw into photoshop, the others are untouched I just exported them to jpegs without doing anything to them.

cool pix. but why are you running steelies on a magnum?

That's what it originally came with, the hubcaps are smothered in brake dust and nastiness so I took them off until I have time to clean them.

First set of shots with a DSLR. Canon Rebel XS, pointers, suggestions anyone?

Okay. You want CC on everything or just on Image Quality (IQ)? I have to keep it short if possible. I'll do so by touching on the upside of each. I can't say much technically with the exif attached but I will say think about DOF and how you want to make an image pop.

Composition is everything. It's equiv. to blowing a launch at the track. The rest is just wasted gas. I know you're just playing around with snaps but composition comes first and that has to be said.

Pic1. The boxer, focus on her/his eys. Especially on narrow DOF shots like this. The old saying is People Pay to See Faces and when doing so the eyes need to be in focus. That's the lesson with Pic 1.

Pic 2. The second dog, Great pup, lots of loyalty and love likely there. Read what you want, but that's about all I've got with that one.

Pic 3. You were onto something here in terms of positioning. Wheels turned correctly but no bling to show off there. You got low, which is good. That's all I have there too.

Pic 4. You were experimenting with Angles. Keep it up.

Pic 5. Again, good perspective and once again, you got low. Rule of thirds plays in a bit in terms of composition here and my eyes actually move along the car.

Pic 6. Cricket

Pic 7. Cricket, Cricket

My points are all in good fun and not intended as a poke man, so please don't take them that way. I'm happy to help and could go on about them. Call, PM, post, text me any time. I do accept just fuck off and die comments too. :)

tim

Just a quick follow up as I know there are tons of good articles on the subject.

Key overall is to just be sure before you capture a moment that you know what in the scene you want to be the focal point and where you want the observers eyes to go. That will help you determine framing, lighting and exposure. Again, what the viewer sees and experiences is first and creative soul of the product. The Image Quality is a given. That has to be good too.

The Rule of Thirds is basic 101 stuff. It's the first thing you'll learn in any composition class. Some cameras do this on screen or in the viewfinder, but you can simply in your mind, divide up your frame into three distinct vertical and three distinct horizontal sections. When composing your photo, keep the action and important focal points to the areas where those sections overlap.

Framing, is what I mentioned in terms of leading the viewer's eyes to a focus point or around the subject or photo as a whole. The key is to allow framing to compliment the subject, but not be the main element that people notice in your images. The subject is key and the fun and interesting journey for the viewer is how you properly frame the image and draw the viewer into seeing it.

Lighting is the most important make or break element. Afterall, photography is painting with light. Be sure you use it properly and wisely.

Proper exposure is next. Get to know your camera and it's metering system. Blown out areas are not usually recoverable nearly as easily, so I tend to shoot as far right without blowing them. Don't confuse proper post processing with getting it right out of the camera. Exposure can be fixed, but it's an element you don't want to miss from the start.

I hope the above helps.

Okay. You want CC on everything or just on Image Quality (IQ)? I have to keep it short if possible. I'll do so by touching on the upside of each. I can't say much technically with the exif attached but I will say think about DOF and how you want to make an image pop.

Composition is everything. It's equiv. to blowing a launch at the track. The rest is just wasted gas. I know you're just playing around with snaps but composition comes first and that has to be said.

Pic1. The boxer, focus on her/his eys. Especially on narrow DOF shots like this. The old saying is People Pay to See Faces and when doing so the eyes need to be in focus. That's the lesson with Pic 1.

Pic 2. The second dog, Great pup, lots of loyalty and love likely there. Read what you want, but that's about all I've got with that one.

Pic 3. You were onto something here in terms of positioning. Wheels turned correctly but no bling to show off there. You got low, which is good. That's all I have there too.

Pic 4. You were experimenting with Angles. Keep it up.

Pic 5. Again, good perspective and once again, you got low. Rule of thirds plays in a bit in terms of composition here and my eyes actually move along the car.

Pic 6. Cricket

Pic 7. Cricket, Cricket

My points are all in good fun and not intended as a poke man, so please don't take them that way. I'm happy to help and could go on about them. Call, PM, post, text me any time. I do accept just fuck off and die comments too. :)

tim

Well then, fuck off and die ;) Thanks for the comments man, greatly appreciated. This is the other shot I took of the black lab/great dane.

lady1.jpg

Try and keep the exif in tact. Not sure if you're saving it and removing it or if your host doesn't support it. Need that to give further technical support.

Cool deal, I'll look into it tonight. I'm assuming the host doesn't support it as I haven't removed it.