Official Football 2011 Thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

Kerr was average here at Ohio State and Schlagel benifited from having Carpenter and Hawk in the same unit as him. Although I do like Schlagel and thought he played LB very well here. That was probablly my favorite LB unit of all time (my time) here at OSU

They both started on a top 25 program after transferring.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone on Scout who is very familiar with Shazier and his family says we should only expect to keep Shazier for 3 years total. He plans to play at 225 next season and not lose any speed. He and his family have a bit of an issue with Meyer but he won't be leaving if Meyer gets the job. Shazier was set to visit OSU as a UF commitment late last year and Meyer kinda went off on him talking about the meaning of a commitment and how if he takes the visit he won't be welcome at UF, etc. So Shazier decided not to visit and stuck with UF. Then a week later Meyer resigned, the Shazier's rescheduled their visit and boom, he ends up here.

I wonder how good Boom could have been had he not had to split time with Saine or been suspended for those games. Also, did he have to sit behind someone - Beanie?

Boom was horrible the first year he split time with Saine. Then he was a solid back the following year and Saine was horrible but yet they still split time.

Yes he sat behind Beanie

Boom was horrible the first year he split time with Saine. Then he was a solid back the following year and Saine was horrible but yet they still split time.

Yes he sat behind Beanie

I can't remember really how well he did his freshman year, honestly. Though, didn't he run pretty well against Texas in the bowl game? Someone got hurt - Wells, wasn't it? - and then he had to fill in or something, IIRC.

I can't remember really how well he did his freshman year, honestly. Though, didn't he run pretty well against Texas in the bowl game? Someone got hurt - Wells, wasn't it? - and then he had to fill in or something, IIRC.

He ran much better his frosh year than his soph year. Saine actually looked better than boom the end of his soph year

I don't remember it that way, in fact I remember Saine being fucking terrible the entire time he was here. All you heard about was his 10.3 100m speed yet he was timid as fuck and never showed the burst. Thats the reason he got passed over by Boom. Booms numbers were diminished a lot his sophmore year due to sharing time with Saine and having Pryor running most of the time. Call it a sophmore slump or whatever, but he has definitley become the best back on the roster and its not even close. Now if or if not Hyde will have as good of career as Boom is to be determined.

Boom is in the top 10 in both career rushing yards and tds. I'll find the link on scout to see where he currently sits, but I know he had a chance to finish in the top 6 in rushing and I believe top 5 all time for TD's in a career here at Ohio State, not bad for a guy that once sucked lol

Yeah exactly his first year he had to share carries with Beanie and Pryor, sophmore year had to share carries with Saine and Pryor, Jr year became the feature back but still had to share carries with Pryor, this year misses 6 games and is sharing carries with Hall and Miller.

Like I said LJ no one is trying to discredit Hyde, I just think its way to premature to say he is on the same level as Boom.

Johnny the Texas game is where Beanie got hurt (concussion) after running for 100 yards in the first half. Boom came in and filled in nicely, he scored a TD in that game. BTW OSU should've won that game, fucking Quan Cosby :(

I don't remember it that way, in fact I remember Saine being fucking terrible the entire time he was here.
I am not sure I can take much you say seriously after saying you don't remember that. Saine had 139 yards more than Boom and 1.2 YPC more that season. Boom was terrible. Horribly timid much of the time and went down with hardly any contact. There were actually major debates over who should get more carries going into 2010. Obviously he figured it out, but you can't just discredit the past.

Oh yeah, and Boom had the 2nd most carries on the team (behind Pryor) and even then only 9 less carries over the course of the season. Like I said, he just wasn't very good at all his soph year

I don't remember Boom EVER being timid. His problem early on was a lack of vision and cutback ability. He just hit where the hole was supposed to be regardless of whether or not it was actually there. Saine was timid as a runner 90% of the time after his knee surgery his freshman year. He had 2-3 really nice games his last 3 years here.

I do remember the flip flop though. Boom sucks, more Saine! Then we get more Saine the next year and it's more Boom, less Saine! lol

I don't remember Boom EVER being timid. His problem early on was a lack of vision and cutback ability. He just hit where the hole was supposed to be regardless of whether or not it was actually there. Saine was timid as a runner 90% of the time after his knee surgery his freshman year. He had 2-3 really nice games his last 3 years here.

I do remember the flip flop though. Boom sucks, more Saine! Then we get more Saine the next year and it's more Boom, less Saine! lol

He got timid because he started to dance around rather than hit the hole. I think Saine closed out 2009 very strong. Hell I remember ppl calling for more Hall real early in that season because Saine and Boom were doing so poor

Saine had 1 good game in my opinion and that was the Oregon game, and even then the only thing I can really remember from that was his TD. Outside of that his career here was a wash, he tried kick returns and never showed the 10.3 speed, tried running back but was scared of contact, they tried using him more of a WR and that didn't really work although he did have a couple nice catches off wheel routes. People called for Hall becasue he had a few good runs in garbage time, the same reason people still think Berry is some sort of god here lol.

BTW I am now on the Urban Meyer to OSU wagon, its gonna happen as much as I am against it lol. I still don't like him and will wait and see how well/poor he does here.

I just read this on Scout and thought it was a pretty cool stat (non Ohio State related)

"According to MNC (Monday Night Countdown), it has been 146 straight NFL weeks (regular season game weeks) that a player from the University of Miami "The U" has scored a TD..."

Think about that for a second, thats what 9 years that a player from the U has scored a TD in each NFL week

Rumor mill:

December 29th halftime of Duke Game, Urban is announced as Head Coach, Luke is the Defensive Coordinator, and Gene Smith is asked to take another position inside OSU. :) :)

Duke game is November 29th, a week from, well, technically today now. And the Urban announcement at that game was posted in here over a month ago. :gabe:

Also, don't think Luke will be DC. Have read DL coach and assistant head coach. And I think Gene Smith is just plain gone once this NCAA stuff is done (HOPEFULLY next Monday, the 28th). He would have no motivation to take another position inside OSU. He's a Domer.

One more thing, on the topic of the NCAA stuff... some people are starting to hint at OSU possibly doing a bowl ban this year after all. If Miami thinks they can lessen the blow of the NCAA down the line by doing so the other day once they realized they'd end up in Boise for the Humanitarian Bowl or whatever again then maybe OSU can wrap their NCAA garbage up in a nice, little bow by stopping themselves from playing in the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl against the Bobcats... :lolguy:

I think a self imposed bowl ban could either be a good thing or a really bad idea. What happens if you self impose one and then the NCAA announces that it isn't enough and they are going to ban OSU from 1 next year as well. Or what happens if you self impose a bowl ban, giving the seniors on this team no final bowl game only to hear that the NCAA wasn't going to give OSU one to begin with. I personally would rather have the bowl ban done and over with if thats what the NCAA is going to do, but the fan in me wants to see OSU play in a bowl game.

I never really understood banning teams from bowl games, why punish the kids? I understand money is involved just like everything else in America but hell just keep the money and let the kids play.

OSU has done everything it has done thus far while cooperating and working with the NCAA. That's why most people think that when the NCAA announces their official final report with the final sanctions there won't be much if anything added. Anything OSU does in advance was going to be done by the NCAA.

And the biggest thing you lose with a bowl ban is the 15 practices. Those would have been very nice to have for the young guys coming back next year BUT who would have run the practices? Urban probably wouldn't have his full staff together to do so until after LSU and Temple's bowl games (several rumored assistants coming from those schools) and you don't really want the old guys running shit. A bowl ban means after this Saturday you have a real, clean break from the Tressel era.

And I see where NightHawk got his stuff... there's a rumor going around with this info in it...

Info confirmed yesterday.

- Netjets flew Meyer up on Thursday.

- Deal done. 7 years - 40 million

- Luke fickell retained as Asst. Head Coach - in fact he was involved in recruiting Meyer

- Greg Studwara - Offensive Coordinator - BGSU connection, currently OLine coach LSU

- DJ Durkin - Defensive Coordinator - FL LB Coach

- Zach Smith - WR Coach - G.A. FL - WR Coach Temple (Earle Bruce grandson)

- Mickey Marotti - Dir Football Ops - Strength coach FL

- Stan Drayton - retained by OSU - moves from WRs back to RB coach - RB coach FL

Job opening will be posted Monday/Tuesday as per State/Federal regulations - announcement Week from Tuesday @ OSU v. Duke

Less certain, but likely that Gene Smith will be re-assigned as SID.

A few things in there that make me question the info most notably being the Gene Smith thing, Durkin being the DC (hasn't been a DC anywhere else) and the timing of the job posting (have read that the postings go up every Friday, not just whenever they actually open). But a lot of that is right on too (Fickell staying on, Stud coming in, Marotti coming in, etc.).

Saine had 1 good game in my opinion and that was the Oregon game, and even then the only thing I can really remember from that was his TD. Outside of that his career here was a wash, he tried kick returns and never showed the 10.3 speed, tried running back but was scared of contact, they tried using him more of a WR and that didn't really work although he did have a couple nice catches off wheel routes. People called for Hall becasue he had a few good runs in garbage time, the same reason people still think Berry is some sort of god here lol.
Saine

Iowa- 11 for 103 and 2 TDs 3 receptions for 15 yards

Michigan- 12 for 84 and 1 TD

I totally agree with the boom having lack of vision. That is why I think Hyde and Jordan hall are much more talented as running backs. The only thing Boom has over Hyde and hall is experience.

No boom has the best vision and cut back ability on this team right now, Bircranium was saying that early in his career boom didn't have this. Hyde is getting by simply because he is 230lbs, I have yet to see him cut it back and make something out of nothing.

Oh LJ since you said Boom sucked his sophmore year, i'll go ahead and counter that with Saines sophmore year in which he had a 2.5 ypc average. He had a pretty good Jr year with 700 yards, but then fell back to reality his Sr year with 337 yards. He had 1400 yards in his career. Boom had 1100 last year alone lol. I will give Saine this, he was a better reciever then Boom is, hell he had nearly the same amount of TD's off catches as he did rushing (9 rushing/8 recieving) in his career.

For some reason Boom never gets respect, idk if its because he wasn't a 5 star player or what the deal is. Just like Sanzenbacher, people liked him but I don't think he got the respect he should've, hell I would say that him graduating was the biggest loss from last year.

No boom has the best vision and cut back ability on this team right now, Bircranium was saying that early in his career boom didn't have this. Hyde is getting by simply because he is 230lbs, I have yet to see him cut it back and make something out of nothing.
Hyde has good vision, I just don't think he has harnessed everything yet. For as quick and agile as Hall is supposed to be, he has absolutely no vision nor cutback ability.

Oh LJ since you said Boom sucked his sophmore year, i'll go ahead and counter that with Saines sophmore year in which he had a 2.5 ypc average. He had a pretty good Jr year with 700 yards, but then fell back to reality his Sr year with 337 yards. He had 1400 yards in his career. Boom had 1100 last year alone lol. I will give Saine this, he was a better reciever then Boom is, hell he had nearly the same amount of TD's off catches as he did rushing (9 rushing/8 recieving) in his career.
I am not sure what you are countering? I never said anything otherwise. I've actually said the same thing, just without all the stats.

For some reason Boom never gets respect, idk if its because he wasn't a 5 star player or what the deal is. Just like Sanzenbacher, people liked him but I don't think he got the respect he should've, hell I would say that him graduating was the biggest loss from last year.
Boom gets plenty of respect now. He just came in and followed one of the better RB's that OSU has ever had in Beanie and had a terrible season. He stepped it up last year and earned himself respect.