Official Football 2011 Thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roflmao 20 years, wow thanks for making my morning start with some laughter :) Sure he might be saying that, what else would he say "I'm gonna be there til Braxton graduates", no way in hell does this guy last 20 years, 5-7 will be pushing it.

Thanks for the tidbit though, it did make my morning better. BTW if his plan is to stay 20 years, say goodbye to Fickell.

i dont kno why you dont think he will be here for the long haul, but i think this is his last job, unless somehting dumb as hell thing like the tat gate thing comes up again.

If so would that be a bad thing, not like he is the best Defensive Coach in the land? I think Urban should bring in all new staff anyway.

Fickell did very well this year imho. They were not blown out by any teams, all games were close. Maybe a couple mistakes cost them some wins, but thats not just his fault. He has a very young team who made alot of mistakes. Miller cost you the michigan game by wasting a down, fickell was telling him to hurry his ass up.

People need to ease up on fickell, could you have done any better with his situation? No, not many coaches could have either.

Miller cost you the michigan game by wasting a down, fickell was telling him to hurry his ass up.

Are you trying to blame the spike on Miller? That call came from the sidelines. It's up to the staff to have a play ready and to make sure the players know that play. They lolly-gagged for 10 seconds or so then the sideline told him to spike it.

Fickell did very well this year imho. They were not blown out by any teams, all games were close. Maybe a couple mistakes cost them some wins, but thats not just his fault. He has a very young team who made alot of mistakes. Miller cost you the michigan game by wasting a down, fickell was telling him to hurry his ass up.

People need to ease up on fickell, could you have done any better with his situation? No, not many coaches could have either.

Not my point, if Fickell leaves, meh. Others can run a defense just as well if not better than he can. I don't percieve him as a "Ryan" or "Belichick" known for their Defensive genius. He's very replacebale.

What people fail to realize is Fickell is one of the best recruiters for Ohio State, has been with the program over 14 years as a player/coach, is well liked by current players. The only knock on Fickell is the fact that he took a cluster fuck of a season and did what anyone else would've done, went 6-6. Like I said a few days ago, a made extra point, Herron/Posey back for Nebraska and a play here or there and this team is 10-2 maybe 11-1 and we aren't even having this discussion. He was also helpful (along with Heacock and other D-coordinators) in providing us OSU fans with some pretty damn good defenses.

What happens next year if OSU goes 7-5? No one seems to want to answer that question. If Meyer doesn't come in and win a NC right off the bat then some crazy fans will be calling for his head wait and see. What happens in 2-3 years when all these freshman are seniors with a ton of expierence and they go 9-3/10-2? If Meyer doesn't win a NC within the first 3 years he will be on the hot seat in the eyes of most fans (not saying the university will feel the same way). If you thought expectations were high in some of Tressells years, imagine what they will be like now. People will be expecting OSU to put up 60 a game, hell i'm already seeing it on my facebook lol.

Harbaugh is a really good coach and should win COTY honors, but it will be close between he and Marvin Lewis (Bengals). I think Hoke is an idiot for calling OSU "ohio", however if he can lead Michigan back to being relivant then great. I love watching Michigan/OSU when both teams are solid and actually playing for something outside of bragging rights.

Yeah but is the pull for players going to come from Luke or Urban, I really feel that kids might come for Urban more than Fickell even if there is a bowl ban for a couple years. I think Urban can say by your senior year I plan on having OSU in the NC game, and he isn't crazy for putting it out there for the players to think about.

Fickell is one of the best recruiters on the staff but Urban is going to load his staff with a bunch of Luke Fickell's (and of course Fickell has the opportunity to be a Luke Fickell for Urban Meyer...lol). Urban Meyer might be the best recruiter in the country. He had multiple #1 classes in the country at UF and they included players from all over, not JUST Florida. He will go into DC/Virginia/Maryland and pull their best players (ie. Percy Harvin), go into Florida and take players at least as good as the players Tressel and his staff were pulling out of Florida, then he'll lock down Ohio as well. Hoke better make this class into absolute superstars because he's not getting kids like Kyle Kalis out of Ohio moving forward.

Urbans hiring is already helping in recruiting I cannot dispute that. A WR that was commited to Miami just flip flopped last night (4star/non burner) and supposedly a couple highly rated recruits are now interested. Thats usually how it goes though, look at Rich Rod's first class, it was pretty damn good. Look at Hokes first class, its pretty good as well. New coaches bring new buzz and new promises. I don't think a coach sells Ohio State, Ohio State sells its self!

For being such a messed up season and not knowing what sanctions are going to be in place this years class was pretty solid even before the Urban hiring. I am interested in seeing how this class closes out. Next years recruiting class (2013) is supposedly loaded and has several 5 star players highly interested in Ohio State already. I think many of them would've chose OSU regardless of who the coach was. I am interested in seeing what players/recruits OSU loses due to the Meyer hiring.

What happens next year if OSU goes 7-5? No one seems to want to answer that question. If Meyer doesn't come in and win a NC right off the bat then some crazy fans will be calling for his head wait and see. What happens in 2-3 years when all these freshman are seniors with a ton of expierence and they go 9-3/10-2? If Meyer doesn't win a NC within the first 3 years he will be on the hot seat in the eyes of most fans (not saying the university will feel the same way). If you thought expectations were high in some of Tressells years, imagine what they will be like now. People will be expecting OSU to put up 60 a game, hell i'm already seeing it on my facebook lol.

QFT. I'm personally not expecting anything more than 8-4 though. I say give it a few years. With Urban, we're likely going to see a completely different offense at Ohio State next year. I can totally see him bringing some southern speed and athleticism up here, and us spreading the ball out and being a LOT more liberal in our play calls then we have been in... 10 years? And I don't see us being able to pick it up and run it at 100% in one off season. But this is Columbus, and we burn shit when things don't go our way.

At least a Big 10 title in 3 years is a reasonable expectation though.

wtf are you talking about? if meyer goes 7-5 next yr oh well, its not his players. they will give him the time he needs to get his players in the right situation before even thinking about firing him. you are so against meyer that you dont see what everyone else sees. meyer has an easier job at osu than at fla. his recruits will fall in his lap seeing as osu is the cream of the crop in the b10. there wont be much anyone can do to rival the recruits here. its not fla where the kids have the option of 3 different schools in the same state going after them. meyer will pretty much rule the b10. we all know you hate meyer, but your hate for him is making you sound like you dont know anything. facts are facts, meyer is a top 3 coach in the ncaa for a reason. he is a winner. osu are winners. great minds create great things.

Wow its easier to get recruits to come to Ohio where its cold 6 months of the year then it is to have them go to Florida where its 70 fucking degrees year round? I never said I would be calling for his head, I said there will be crazy Ohio State fans that will be. Get his players? Ok so we've gone from he'll turn Braxton into a Heisman winner while winning a national title to "he needs time to get his players in the right situation", so which is it, he is either going to win a NC next year or he isn't. If he doesn't it will be looked upon by the media and fans as a bust, wait and see.

And I am laughing at the fact that you said he had to compete with 2 other schools, have you actually watched Miami and Florida State? They are and have been fucking terrible for the last 5+ years. Miami hasn't been shit really since 02 and FSU had 1 really good year where they went to the Orange Bowl and played Penn State. I love how people are acting like Urban had it so rough at Florida.

I am not saying he won't get kids from Florida, I just wouldnt expect to get the cream of the crop from Florida every year. Tressell was able to land some Florida recruits but not many of them have lived up to the expectations (Im sure you'll find some way to say Urban will make them great)

FAGGOT

BTW Phil, why are you so concerned with Ohio State, aren't you a Michigan fan? You better be concerned about your boys getting blown out of the water by Houston in a BCS game (that appears to be the matchup).

Some Oklahoma fans don't like Bob Stoops, does that make them look dumb? I just don't like Urban Meyer, you wanna hear something funny. My wife and I was talking about this yesterday and she said "I remember when you used to love Urban Meyer" gasp!!! Who would've thought there was actually a time I liked the guy lmfao!!!

Wow its easier to get recruits to come to Ohio where its cold 6 months of the year then it is to have them go to Florida where its 70 fucking degrees year round? I never said I would be calling for his head, I said there will be crazy Ohio State fans that will be. Get his players? Ok so we've gone from he'll turn Braxton into a Heisman winner while winning a national title to "he needs time to get his players in the right situation", so which is it, he is either going to win a NC next year or he isn't. If he doesn't it will be looked upon by the media and fans as a bust, wait and see.

And I am laughing at the fact that you said he had to compete with 2 other schools, have you actually watched Miami and Florida State? They are and have been fucking terrible for the last 5+ years. Miami hasn't been shit really since 02 and FSU had 1 really good year where they went to the Orange Bowl and played Penn State. I love how people are acting like Urban had it so rough at Florida.

I am not saying he won't get kids from Florida, I just wouldnt expect to get the cream of the crop from Florida every year. Tressell was able to land some Florida recruits but not many of them have lived up to the expectations (Im sure you'll find some way to say Urban will make them great)

The "he needs his players" excuse would be kinda weak. Then again, I fully expect OSU to lose no more than 2-3 games next season. They could be pre-season top 15. 16 returning starters from a team whose last 5 losses came by a combined 25 points. As I've said, those can become W's with elite coaching which is what OSU is going to have now.

And anyone considering a non-NC season next year a bust is an idiot. Plain and simple. There is a honeymoon period. It won't be very long and it won't be as forgiving as others but there will be one.

And yes, as has been discussed several times here, Florida may be one of the top 3 states in the country as far as football talent is concerned but you have to go against 2 other big-time programs for recruits. Some kids just are Seminoles. Some kids just are Canes. Some kids just are Gators. I'd actually say Florida is at the bottom of that threesome. FSU and Miami were incredible in the 90's and early 00's. Yes, they fell off but that's because it's cyclical. Florida went in there and flipped everything upside down for a bit. Florida State is back to recruiting at a very high level now but might not have the right coach. Miami is going to be hurting for a little bit now from their NCAA thing. Florida has Muschamp but teams like Auburn and Alabama will go in there and pillage now as well as national powerhouses such as USC and Ohio State.

Some Oklahoma fans don't like Bob Stoops, does that make them look dumb? I just don't like Urban Meyer, you wanna hear something funny. My wife and I was talking about this yesterday and she said "I remember when you used to love Urban Meyer" gasp!!! Who would've thought there was actually a time I liked the guy lmfao!!!

No, because Stoops is like 3-5 in BCS games including embarrassing losses to Boise St., USC and WVU.

I still haven't seen a legitimate reason for your hating on Meyer. Note I said legitimate. Saying he's a "job-hopper" (absolutely laughable) or thinking he might end up not being at OSU too long aren't legitimate.

Oh, and speaking of Stoops, rumors that his brother Mike (was recently fired at Arizona, was a defensive assistant for his brother at OU back when they won a national title and played LSU for another) may be Meyer's DC here.

BTW Phil, why are you so concerned with Ohio State, aren't you a Michigan fan? You better be concerned about your boys getting blown out of the water by Houston in a BCS game (that appears to be the matchup).

Michigan still needs help to get to the BCS. I think they're ranked 16th in the BCS but must be at least 14th (or higher) to be eligible for an at-large BCS bid.

Despite my rekindled hatred for Michigan, I hope they get an BCS at-large bid. More money and prestige for the B10.

2-3 losses with 16 returning starters and "the best coach in college football history"? Ok I may have exagerated that last part lol, but that is not a dissapointing season? Ok so we'll give him the 1st year as his "honey moon" year, what happens when Braxton is a Jr with expierence and they go 9-3? Or what if they go 10-2 his senior year? See where I am trying to go here, if Urban doesn't come in and produce with in the first 3 years, he won't last longer then that. The man has an ego and refuses to be mediocre (my reason he left Florida).

Michigan still needs help to get to the BCS. I think they're ranked 16th in the BCS but must be at least 14th (or higher) to be eligible for an at-large BCS bid.

Despite my rekindled hatred for Michigan, I hope they get an BCS at-large bid. More money and prestige for the B10.

Michigan State or Wisconsin will lose this weekend there is 1 other game that will help Michigan as well (saw it last night on ESPN). Michigan will end up 14the in the BCS next Sunday night.

I need a legit reason not to like someone? That is laughable, i don't like the guy thats reason enough. I dont like his ego, I dont like the manner in which he left Florida, I don't like the fact that he lied and quit on a team twice! Should I continue?

I just find it so fucking funny that 2-3 years ago, every OSU fan hated Urban Meyer simply because he beat Ohio State. Now since he is coming to Ohio State he is some sort of fucking god?! It'd be like Cavs fans hating on LBJ but then welcoming him back with arms wide open.

)

fla st is still a good team, miami is on the rise once golden gets who he wants in there. he is recruiting his ass off at miami and if you dont think recruiting in fla is the hardest recruiting job in the country you are blind. fla has some of the fastest players in the country, texas/ calif. have the best, closey behind is ohio. so you take urban getting a few (not all) good players from fla, snagging a few from tx (cause there is a billion) and pretty much man handeling the midwest ( lets be honest, osu is the best football school in the midwest bar none) he has it much easier here than he did. the cheating isnt nearly as bad in the b10 as the sec, osu has a much better educational program than fla. ( yes some kids do want a solid education) and the longevity of a b10 coach is much more than any sec coach. i doubt they will be a nc next year, but i bet you before braxton leaves osu, they will be number 1 in the polls at some point.

as for michigan, brady holk is doing a marvelous job up there. his recruiting is excellent and he is slowly moving big blue back to that pro style offense, and base d. they will be a contiuing top 10-15 team for as long as he is there. i think he will get that team back to what they should be and it will make the rivalry that much better. the future of osu/ michigan is in good hands. ( who would have thought tressel did what he did? carr was the man until tressel started rolling, who says holk doesnt do what tress did?) just food for thought

go back to hating meyer some more cause your dumb :p