Official Football 2011 Thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stoops likely not taking the DC job. :( Going to do something at OU with his brother again I guess.

Looks like Urban did get his QB coach though. Current Iowa State OC/QB coach Tom Herman. A young up and comer who has actually never worked with Urban before. Supposedly sat down with Urban for 7 hours the other day before Urban decided to offer him the job.

So right now looks like...

HC - Urban Meyer (also kinda the OC/QB coach himself)

OC/OL - Studrawa hopefully

QB - Tom Herman

WR - no clue

RB - Stan Drayton

TE - Tim Hinton (from ND) hopefully

DC - Chuck Heater?

Co-DC/DL or LB - Fickell

DL or LB - Vrabel maybe (Meyer giving him an "audition" right now via recruiting)

DB's - Taver Johnson

Not real excited about this hire

I figured you wouldn't be. :dumb:

If Meyer felt comfortable enough to go outside of his circle and hire this guy then I'm fine with it. From everything I've read he's pretty brilliant. He got Rice to a 10-3 record in 2008 after they had just 3 wins the season before. And he's been working with MAC-level talent at Rice and ISU. He's going to have a ball with the kind of players Urban will bring him. Plus, Urban is kinda the OC/QB coach himself so this guy will just collaborate with him. Now just hope that Meyer can lure Studrawa as the OL coach (and potentially co-OC) and the offensive staff will be taking shape very nicely.

Going to need to hit a home run at the DC position though.

I figured you wouldn't be. :dumb:

If Meyer felt comfortable enough to go outside of his circle and hire this guy then I'm fine with it. From everything I've read he's pretty brilliant. He got Rice to a 10-3 record in 2008 after they had just 3 wins the season before. And he's been working with MAC-level talent at Rice and ISU. He's going to have a ball with the kind of players Urban will bring him. Plus, Urban is kinda the OC/QB coach himself so this guy will just collaborate with him. Now just hope that Meyer can lure Studrawa as the OL coach (and potentially co-OC) and the offensive staff will be taking shape very nicely.

Going to need to hit a home run at the DC position though.

Dunno where people are getting this "Urban is gonna be the main OC anyway"

Urban has never called plays. At Florida the most he got involved in the offense was "nah that play sounds like shit, call another" and before that he was almost totally hands off.

I was just under the impression that they was going to land the best assistants in the game and thus far he hasn't really hired anyone that made me say "wow". I think Herman would've been a good hire had it been just for the QB coach job. I dont see the dude from LSU coming up here at this point. It wouldn't make sense for him to leave his position as offensive coordinator for a co-offensive coordinator or offensive line coach. Thatd be taking a step back. I am curious as to who he'll hire for defensive coordinator, something in me says it'll end up being Fickell that is the D-Cord.

Dunno where people are getting this "Urban is gonna be the main OC anyway"

Urban has never called plays. At Florida the most he got involved in the offense was "nah that play sounds like shit, call another" and before that he was almost totally hands off.

November 29, 2011 Source: Columbus Dispatch - Urban Meyer said he will hire an offensive coordinator to help run the spread offense — with other elements — but will retain some of the play-calling duties. "I will hire a play-caller offensive coordinator. I will call plays myself and be very involved in that, like I’ve done in the past," he said.

I think it will be pretty similar to the JT/Bollman arrangement but with Urban actually being more directly involved in play-calling whereas all JT really did in-game was veto plays and make 4th down/punt vs. FG/etc. decisions.

I was just under the impression that they was going to land the best assistants in the game and thus far he hasn't really hired anyone that made me say "wow". I think Herman would've been a good hire had it been just for the QB coach job. I dont see the dude from LSU coming up here at this point. It wouldn't make sense for him to leave his position as offensive coordinator for a co-offensive coordinator or offensive line coach. Thatd be taking a step back. I am curious as to who he'll hire for defensive coordinator, something in me says it'll end up being Fickell that is the D-Cord.

Stud is basically co-OC down at LSU as well. Only reason he is any form of OC is because Kragthorpe got a Parkinson's diagnosis shortly before the season started. He's worked with Meyer before, he's from Ohio, I still think there's a good chance.

And he's really only hired this guy so far so not a lot of "wow" to be had either way. But if you read up on the guy and actually look at his stuff with your own eyes then you wouldn't be so unimpressed.

Also, Taylor Graham asked for and was granted his release for transfer pretty much as expected. There's 1 scholarship freed up for the 2012 class. Could have medical waivers from McVey, Fellows and Hagan as well.

But, for those who hadn't heard, Andrew Sweat is trying to get a medical redshirt. He missed a total of 13 games through his career due to injury with the bulk coming his sophomore year. It's amazing to me that he never redshirted naturally because we seemingly saw so little of him. He knows it's a long shot that it gets approved but he really wants to play a year under Urban (Florida was his 2nd choice coming out of HS).

I highly doubt Sweat gets a medical redshirt, Nathan Williams stands more of a chance to get one in my opinion. I did read about Graham wanting to transfer and thats a smart move on his part, that makes Guiton the backup now, which is a good thing, especially if Miller gets hurt. The offense wouldn't have to change much since Guiton is a mobile guy. I wonder if we get any commits this week, there is something like 10 guys visiting right now.

RG3 wining the Heisman made me smile, so glad it wasnt a SEC guy this year!!

Yeah, Williams will 100% get one. Kinda interesting about Guiton, he was recruited by Tom Herman when Herman was at Rice then I believe he took the Iowa State job in the middle of that recruiting season so he tried to get him there too. So Herman liked Guiton out of HS. One of few since Guiton only had like 4 FBS offers...lol.

Haha yeah Guiton was the last player recruited by OSU in that class. I believe he was something like #51 or #61 over all qb in that class lol. If Williams comes back next year the defense will be scary good on paper, especially if a faster LB takes the place of Klein. Storm is a hometown kid and I pulled for him since he got the offer as a Jr, but man he's really let me down while at OSU (i've even let the homer in me defend him sometimes lol). Curtis Grant will hopefully be a monster come next year and start alongside of Shazier. If Sweat gets to come back then thats even better because he was decent this year.

Yeah, it's a suuuuuuuuuuuuuper long shot that Sweat gets a medical redshirt but it has happened before. Then you've got a guy like Ben Mauk got screwed out of a medical redshirt at Cincy when he very, very, very clearly deserved one.

Hoping Grant comes on strong in these bowl practices. Either Vrabel or Fickell will still be coaching him next season more than likely so he can still benefit from these bowl practices unlike pretty much every other position on the field...lol. Especially the offense. Shazier and Grant could be very special players by the time they leave Columbus. Maybe a guy like Connor Crowell will come on strong as a redshirt frosh (was out this year after badly breaking his ankle/leg in his HS playoffs).

Sad to see my bud taylor go but we have talked about it for a while knowing the possible outcomes of this whole situation. It just makes the most sense. I'll talk to Andrew soon and see what he says. I'm on tour right now and won't be back till the 20th. I'll shoot him a text.

Urban is a machine. There's no other way to put it. nevada has Urban having flipped 3 recruits on visits this weekend (Dodson, Pittman, Schutt). And looking very good with Diamond and still very much in the fight with Dunn. Sounds like Dodson wants to go public pretty soon because he said he's talking to Bielema tonight in an article. Probably to let him know he's not coming. Suck it, Bielema you goofy looking faggot bastard. And another PSU commit is on his way to OSU right now for a visit. 4-star LB Camren Williams. Urban does not want to be light at LB and OT anymore that's for sure.

Holy mother of Tim Tebow!! Has anyone ever seen anything as crazy as what this guy is doing?

The d-line should be pretty stout for OSU in the upcoming years, its nice to see OT's being recruited instead of putting all the chips on 1 guy only to be burned (Aundrey Walker/Seantrel Henderson)

People say that the rest of the team carries him? Look at his numbers in the 4th quarter today. AWESOME.

Tebow has been helped out by the defense no doubt, but he is making plays when the team needs him the most. Week after week after week.

Yeah, the same team that carried Orton to a 1-4 start haha...I hate that excuse, people hate Tebow because he isn't putting up huge numbers. The only number I care about is wins and he's doing that just fine! I get on scout to lurk and read post about how great Cam Newton is becasue he has over 3k yards passing, great he plays on a team that is 4-9, and has more INT's then passing TD's lmfao.

Tebows numbers would be so much better if he has WR's that could fucking catch. Once again Decker shows he can't catch a fucking cold. Dude dropped 2 passes that should've been caught, I think in total there was 4-6 dropped passes..you add those to his statline and again its a lot better looking on paper. Regardless of that, he has seemed to inspire the rest of his team with the whole "I refuse to lose" manor in which he plays late in ball games.

Look at his 4th quarter and OT stats from today, they are insane!

And the main reason you hate to root against this kid:

"It's not Tebow Time," the quarterback retorted. "It's Broncos Time."