Lap top crashed yesterday.. now what?

2pointslow

It depends on what kind of "crash" happened, but I would upgrade. I had one of those DV4's, mine didn't last that long. Now which computer you pick up depends on what sort of things you do on it. I ended up picking up a MacBook Pro recently, and I really like it, but you don't need to spend that much money if all you do is browse the net. It all depends.

It depends on what kind of "crash" happened, but I would upgrade. I had one of those DV4's, mine didn't last that long. Now which computer you pick up depends on what sort of things you do on it. I ended up picking up a MacBook Pro recently, and I really like it, but you don't need to spend that much money if all you do is browse the net. It all depends.

I generally just browse the web.

not sure, i turned it on a blue screen came up with white text and said it was crashing. I shut the computer down before it could dump the files.

Assuming virus

A BSOD is rarely a virus. Could be any number of things. If you don't have any data of value on there, try reinstalling Windows and see if that gets you by. We could spend all day trying to isolate and fix the BSOD, reinstalling Windows would be faster.

It is probably hardware failure. Those laptops are not good quality. I have an HP pavillion 6000 series that someone gave me. On a fresh install of anything (winxp, vista, linux, ubuntu) the CPU runs at 100% when nothing is open. It is also super hot all the time. In winxp it would give me BSOD often. In unix it just crashed with long pages of errors.

Get a new laptop from microcenter. They have some nice ones for $200 if all you want to do is browse the internet.

It is probably hardware failure. Those laptops are not good quality. I have an HP pavillion 6000 series that someone gave me. On a fresh install of anything (winxp, vista, linux, ubuntu) the CPU runs at 100% when nothing is open. It is also super hot all the time. In winxp it would give me BSOD often. In unix it just crashed with long pages of errors.

Get a new laptop from microcenter. They have some nice ones for $200 if all you want to do is browse the internet.

The fucker is always hot, it hasnt ever given me any problems. But then again i dont play online games or use it for work purposes.

The fucker is always hot, it hasnt ever given me any problems. But then again i dont play online games or use it for work purposes.

My toshiba satellite runs hot too. sucks cock but its not designed for the intensive gaming sessions i throw at it.

It bugs me when people say "my computer crashed". How? BSoD? HDD failure? Virus?

RRoD

I've got an HP DV6500 from a couple years ago that was rather pricey when I bought it. Came preloaded with Vista, always ran hot as fuck and the battery shit itself. I wiped and installed Win7, and it ran way better for a while, but now if I leave it on for a while the HD starts running constant and it gets hot as fuck, to the point where it shuts itself off. I've always liked HP but I'm thinking my next one will not be.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what brands are reliable and whats crap?

RRoD

I've got an HP DV6500 from a couple years ago that was rather pricey when I bought it. Came preloaded with Vista, always ran hot as fuck and the battery shit itself. I wiped and installed Win7, and it ran way better for a while, but now if I leave it on for a while the HD starts running constant and it gets hot as fuck, to the point where it shuts itself off. I've always liked HP but I'm thinking my next one will not be.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what's reliable and whats crap?

IBM Thinkpads are sturdy and nice but kind of slow. I have one as my work laptop. It gets beat up in my bag and still works. Alienware laptops are really nice and fast but they are very expensive. You get what you pay for with computers.

IBM Thinkpads are sturdy and nice but kind of slow. I have one as my work laptop. It gets beat up in my bag and still works. Alienware laptops are really nice and fast but they are very expensive. You get what you pay for with computers.

lenovo t61 Thinkpad FTW.

Thats what i use at work, the keyboard is super rugged, along with the hinges and the rest of the laptop. mine uses a 2.0 core 2 duo with 2gb of ram and it had no speed issies at all. Only problem is it runs vista.

Hard to be Lenovo's for durability, aside from Apple maybe. I've had several Lenovo's, loved all of them. Before I had my MacBook pro, I had a Toshiba L505D, which got the job done, but was an AMD based laptop, and also ran at 1000 degrees constantly. On the whole, stay away from anything AMD based. Dell's current E series laptops (E6320/E6420) are pretty nice, we have been deploying them at work.

Hard to be Lenovo's for durability, aside from Apple maybe. I've had several Lenovo's, loved all of them. Before I had my MacBook pro, I had a Toshiba L505D, which got the job done, but was an AMD based laptop, and also ran at 1000 degrees constantly. On the whole, stay away from anything AMD based. Dell's current E series laptops (E6320/E6420) are pretty nice, we have been deploying them at work.

I feel like toshiba in general has heating issues. while playing counter-strike source on my i7 310M a505 satellite it used to run at temps of 100c+. it would literally burn your hand to touch the side of the laptop. Im thinking something got broken/loosened up while transporting it to and fro school. Certainly not as durable as a thinkpad