New ride for my son

Buck531

Picked this up from Anthonys dad (thanks again for letting me know about it).

Yep.. another Buick. This gem is a 92 Buick regal with every freakin' option available on the 92 model. Grand Sport.. lol. poor mans caddy as I call it. My son worked up the money for it (has a lot left extra to fix it).

It has a few rust spots we'll fix in the up coming days. Needs two new door handles, hood release cable, driver side mirror, rear struts and a few other minor things that aren't that expensive.

As soon as we got it home we left it running (battery is dead we had to jump it) and we did a quick wash on it. Got all the grime off it and the algae on the passenger side as it sat under a tree on the street for 5 months.

Regardless of what anyone thinks on here.. this is the perfect first car. It's not a sports car, it needs some TLC. He paid $350 for it so regardless of what you folks say, I think it's a good deal. Right now it has 178k on the clock and after sitting for 5 months and jump starting it it started right up and idled perfectly. No smoke, miss, nothing. It's a series 1 3800 and my wife's 95 Regal custom went to 199k and still was running strong but got rid of it for $800 about 3-4 years ago.

I'll make another thread in the project section when we start tearing it apart and start repairing some things.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/92%20Buick%20Regal/92Buick.jpg

I got a good deal from Oreileys and I ordered the parts yesterday.. Should be here today (Friday). It's easier than going down to pick n' pull just to see if there's a car there that's worth a shit to take apart.. then to take that part off ad take off the car part at the house and then install the new one.

Today I went to pick n pull and my brother and I got the rear quarter glass out with a crow bar and a hammer. :). That was 15 bucks. Hocked the two rods for the door handles. Got one fixed. Sanded down and primed the rear quarter pillar as it was rusted. Just surface rust to no bondo was needed. Yanked a hood release cable from a 91 Lumina Euro and we swapped that out so now the hood can shut and open :).

Got ONE of the fucking rear struts in. There's GOT TO BE a better way than trying to manhandle the rear strut. I'm going to look that up in a minute. By brother and I have done both rears on my previous car and his but it was 5 years ago and it was a total pain in the ass then and it was now.

Yep. I just read up on it a little on the intrawebs.. Looks like I need to support the leave spring on that side and unbolt it on that side and relieve some of the pressure. Yes? no? I just KNOW there's got to be an easier way to replace those rear struts.

Does it have that rubber figure eight shaped bushing and bracket on the rear side at the base of the strut? I had a 94 Cutlass Supreme, and I had to compress that figure eight bushing to get the lower strut bolts in. The is a hole through the center of the bushing, and a threaded hole on the lower control arm. I used a piece of all-thread and a nut to compress that bushing.

Yep. I just read up on it a little on the intrawebs.. Looks like I need to support the leave spring on that side and unbolt it on that side and relieve some of the pressure. Yes? no? I just KNOW there's got to be an easier way to replace those rear struts.

put a jack under it to relieve pressure.

put a jack under it to relieve pressure.

Yeah that doesn't work that well as it seems. I put the bolt that comes in with the new strut in the middle of the big ass rubber bushing but it didn't catch the thread so I just took the whole strut off. Then I took my two spring compressors and compressed the shit out of the rubber bushing and put a bolt through it to hold it together. Threw the strut in and I was done a lot faster than the other strut.

Well at least I don't have to do these struts for a long time :).