Parents with driving age kids, insurance recommendations

wnaplay1647545503

$200+ was just adding the car and nothing to do with him, adding him was almost $700. If I only had the 2 cars he would be listed as an occasional driver on our cars but the 3rd car makes him a primary driver. Nationwide doesnt associate a person with a specific car so I cant even put him on just his moms minivan which would be a better rate than the audi which he would drive. Progressive quoted us online and it was only $600+ per year for the car and him but I dont know how accurate their online rate quote is.

I was paying $120 a month for insurance when I was 16. Cheapest I ever heard of from one of my friends back then was $83 with a good student discount on.

I had Farmers.

I would think Progressive is going to end up being the cheapest.

Edited by Radio Flyer

Try GMAC. When I was 16 and got my license in NY they where by far the cheapest. Then when I became and adult and had so many tickets on my record Anthony and I couldn't get car insurance together without it being crazy expensive, they once again came through with a really good rate and we got full coverage on all of the cars for less than Allstate/Progressive would do with just Liability on a couple of them.

Hes having to pay for insurance and gas but I am stil obligated to get as low a rate as possible. No sense in making him overpay because I was to lazy to shop around.

I get a few quotes from different agents. Then I make the agents compete for my business. Competition is a beautiful thing.

$200+ was just adding the car and nothing to do with him, adding him was almost $700. If I only had the 2 cars he would be listed as an occasional driver on our cars but the 3rd car makes him a primary driver. Nationwide doesnt associate a person with a specific car so I cant even put him on just his moms minivan which would be a better rate than the audi which he would drive. Progressive quoted us online and it was only $600+ per year for the car and him but I dont know how accurate their online rate quote is.

The online quote generally has to be accurate since you can buy the entire policy online without ever talking to someone. The only time I've ever seen the quote change after it was purchased is if we can't get an accurate driving record ordered for the driver during the quote process (if he has no tickets or accidents then this isn't an issue).

Keep in mind, any company you do a quote through is going to throw in some one-time only discounts that fall off after the first term. In theory you could switch companies every 6 months and probably save a lot, but it's not worth the hassle. Progressive seems pretty competitive for younger drivers. I'm 23 and my policy with the Speed3 at full coverage and the old Miata at liability is under $500 per 6 months, with a speeding ticket. I did quotes through other companies and most were over $1,000 per 6 months, I think one company even wanted over $2,000.

Double check your quote though, I'm betting it was $600 for 6 months, not for a full year.

We use Dressel And Evans from Grandview to get insurance. He will find the best rate for you. Insurance for me was $100 a month for my audi at 16. That was me covered on all of our cars too. ('05 focus & '05 escalade). Didn't seem that bad, but I had a decent job at 16. Tell Jim I sent you, and he should take good care of you. :)

http://www.dresselevans.com/insurance/

I just switched to Hanover Insurance with Dorsey Conley (previously with Grange). Adding The 92 Buick by itself was $16 a month. Adding Chris (even though he's 18 and has a 3.2 GPA) added $100 a month. So he'll be paying $115 for liability only on the car.

I used to pay $45/month at 16 for the MR2, on my parents policy with grange, I pretty much had every discount possible, paid per year too. Now I pay that for the corolla and MR2 on my policy with progressive. Now if I could just get this damn WRX insurance figured out.