997 Turbo v. C6 Z06

Dr. Pomade

With the 458 out, prices will continue to drop on these...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__b57G1h37Fg/TReh9_m0ccI/AAAAAAAAAFA/G7ZWB6qoVpg/s1600/Ferrari-F430.jpg

Wait a minute, talk to me more about these cars - specs? Driving comparisons to the Porsche?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who wants to roll out in a 15 year old 1997?? not me. pretty sure the op is married with kid(s), so he's probably not looking to date whomever. i'd steer clear of anything older than 3-4 years, but that's just me. trust me, before i got my caddy, i was looking at the exact same cars---turbo porsches, GTR's, m5's, AMG's, etc. for me, it came down to the ability to put 5 people in the car, and not drive over an hour to have it serviced.

This.

So I didnt bother to read the whole thread, so if this has been said, then whatever.

If money isnt 'really' an issue, then what it really boils down to is what you want to do with the car.

As someone who has driven, been in and/or around on the track (road course), they are both terrific cars, but feel miles apart. The torque, growl, and corner exit of the c6z is hard to beat, but the handling and refinement of the porsche in the turns is hard to ignore. Having followed One Lap the last few years, I can tell you it is always a battle for the overall track between a porsche, a vette, and now the skylines. All three are typically right on top of each other. 2011 was kind of wacky with break down etc.., but in 2010 a couple 911 turbos and a couple c6z's were battling it out almost every track event and the porsche guys took it more often.

So they both perform neck and neck, so it really is more of a feel thing there. I, for one, prefer the brute force of the corvette, just puts a bigger smile on my face.

Now if it isnt for racing, and is for just driving around town, 7 out of 10 yuppies would choose the porsche. The porsche feels and looks more refined, but depending on your size may be less comfortable. One of my problems at 6'4" is that w/ a helmet my head hits the headliner in most porsches. Porsche has the name and look for the exclusive feel to and/or if you feel the need to impress people by telling them what car you drive.

If the car is for a little bit of both, more more for making 'you' happy.... I think the c6z is a very hard car to beat. and the extra $40k can get you a lot of other goodies to make the grin even bigger.

Oh and another thing, not that it matters if you ahve the cash to drop anyway. But the maintenance requirement and cost for the porsche is exponentially greater. And if you like to work on cars yourself, the 996 is a PITA to work on.

Thanks for this input. I think, based on what I've heard people say, that I'd prefer the driving style of the Corvette over the Porsche.

360's and 430's are "cheaper" to maintain on over the previous 355's which were notorious for a 5 figure service every 30k miles. That's because you couldn't even change the drive belts on the damn things without removing the whole engine and rear cradle / suspension.

but an absolute bargain basement 430 is still $120k, more reasonble cars are 140-150k. 360's are getting cheaper but not the good ones. I have dreams of owning a 360 Challenge Stradale in a few years but they've been stuck at $130k for nearly the last two years. Not sure they're going to go far enough down for me to really get one. Oh..and my GT3 will perform on every level with the 360 CS.

http://www.tangcla.com/photos/eurotrash_081025/images/IMG_7761.jpg

Yea, I had a friend buy a 355 because of the low price for owning a Ferrari... then he cried the first time he had to find a place to service the car... and what they charged for even the smallest of work.

Needless to say he sold the car shortly thereafter.

You dont buy a ferrari for anything you want to put more than 5k miles a year on.

Yea, I had a friend buy a 355 because of the low price for owning a Ferrari... then he cried the first time he had to find a place to service the car... and what they charged for even the smallest of work.

Needless to say he sold the car shortly thereafter.

You dont buy a ferrari for anything you want to put more than 5k miles a year on.

Fuck that, crossing Ferrari off the list.

Gorgeous car, not worth all that shit though.

Which is why I said relatively affordable. It's $50K for the cheapest kit. On a Porsche you can chip the car for cheap, upgrade turbos for like $3K. The Z06 I'm sure is cheap as hell to mod too.

Yeah, there's a vid that comes to mind that has pre-mod and after-mod races with a 997 Porsche (turbo, I think) and a C6 Z06. The Porsche torches the Z06 after it gets its mods (and the Z06 is still stock), and then the Z06 absolutely annhilates the Porsche after getting its mods. Will try to find that vid...

Edit: Not the vid I was looking for, but features modded 997 Turbo versus modded C6Z:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/porsche-911-turbo-evotech-vs-chevrolet-corvette-z06_2317842.htm

Edit x 2: another vid, not the one I'm looking for, but still this Z06 moves out. And I can appreciate a guy who sprays the hell out of his Z06...

Edited by Dr. Pomade

:dumb:

good luck with that. get into an argument with the UGR team and they're likely to accuse you of cheating on your wife, and threaten you that they will show your wife video of you admitting to going to a strip club :dumb::dumb:

honestly, if you spend that kind of money to turbo a lambo or a ferrari, there are literally only 1-2 shops in the country that will be able to work on the car--fuck that. if you have a 'falling out' with one of these shops, you're literally fucked. sure, we see the awesome videos of these cars absolutely tearing it up. what you don't see are the videos of these cars eating the clutches in the e-gear, and ruining the 4wd systems, etc, etc, etc. if you want to enjoy a reliable car, and avoid frequent expensive repairs, throwing forced induction on an exotic is not exactly smart.

couple years ago when i was in florida 2 of the 4 doc's i worked with had brand new 911 turbo's (whichever model was $130k+ at the time), and one had a 4 year old ferrari. took a ride in the porsche and i will say i was very impressed. pulled like crazy, was quiet, comfortable, and literally felt connected to the road. never got a chance to roll out in the ferrari, but did hear him bitching for a month about a $22k repair bill to do brakes, tires, and some 'routine' maintenance on the motor. wtf??

the vette and porsche can both be modded to well over 600hp with absolutely no concerns for driveability, longevity, etc. or you can enjoy them stock. i've had my z for 2 years (2,500 miles), and would probably be o.k. driving it stock indefinitely. i have a shifter, mild to wild switch, intake, and a set of sticky wheels/tires. there's no way i've driven this car near its limit in stock form. adding 100rwhp is fairly simple, and hard to avoid doing with so many shops around that are proven on these cars

good luck with that. get into an argument with the UGR team and they're likely to accuse you of cheating on your wife, and threaten you that they will show your wife video of you admitting to going to a strip club :dumb::dumb:

WTF did something like this actually happen?

Didn't mean to turn this into a suggestion thread just got bored working late and figured I'd throw out ideas.

The 997TT and C6Z are still the BEST choices... :thumbup:

Ferrari maintenance

:dumb:

The F430 is nice, not a whole lot you can do about modding though (in terms of relative affordability). Might also leave you wanting the Scuderia.

The only reason I recommended them is because of this...

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/../ubb/cool.gif

For whatever car I buy (regardless if it's one these two or something else), it's going to stay stock for a really long time (and probably indefinitely). It will be a weekend car, so no DD. It won't see much of a track.

Also, Josh, thanks for posting up the stuff about the M5 and other stuff. The M5 I would consider buying for a DD.

;)

360's and 430's are "cheaper" to maintain on over the previous 355's which were notorious for a 5 figure service every 30k miles. That's because you couldn't even change the drive belts on the damn things without removing the whole engine and rear cradle / suspension.

but an absolute bargain basement 430 is still $120k, more reasonble cars are 140-150k. 360's are getting cheaper but not the good ones. I have dreams of owning a 360 Challenge Stradale in a few years but they've been stuck at $130k for nearly the last two years. Not sure they're going to go far enough down for me to really get one. Oh..and my GT3 will perform on every level with the 360 CS.

http://www.tangcla.com/photos/eurotrash_081025/images/IMG_7761.jpg

They are expensive but as you said the 360/430's are much better than the older models. Then again, if you are looking at a $120k+ car the maintenance costs shouldn't be an issue.

I can't help but laugh at these guys that get exotic car lease/loans and finance it like a plane/house for 15-20+ years...LOL! So many people trying to look the part when really they are anything but...

Didn't mean to turn this into a suggestion thread just got bored working late and figured I'd throw out ideas.

I can't help but laugh at these guys that get exotic car lease/loans and finance it like a plane/house for 15-20+ years...LOL! So many people trying to look the part when really they are anything but...

Yeah, no worries - I certainly don't mind the suggestions.

And yup on that second comment - gotta love the $35,000 millionaires:

1. Have job that pays $4000/month

2. Buy Lambo, get loan for $3500/month

3. Live in house with 16 other guys, pay $100/month in rent

4. Spend $100/week on valet parking your car in front of club and buying rounds of lemon drop shots for people in the club

5. Live the Columbus dream

WTF did something like this actually happen?

yes.

http://jalopnik.com/5837721/lamborghini-tuner-threatens-customer-with-stripper-video

definitely more to the story than is listed here, but this looks bad for UGR imo. i looked at their website a while back when i thought it would be awesome to own one of these. don't think i'd consider it based on this, and a few other vidoes floating around of the owner being a complete fucking douchebag to the owner of titan motorsports (who has a turbo kit out for the gallardo).

yes.

http://jalopnik.com/5837721/lamborghini-tuner-threatens-customer-with-stripper-video

definitely more to the story than is listed here, but this looks bad for UGR imo. i looked at their website a while back when i thought it would be awesome to own one of these. don't think i'd consider it based on this, and a few other vidoes floating around of the owner being a complete fucking douchebag to the owner of titan motorsports (who has a turbo kit out for the gallardo).

Wow. That would definitely make me think twice about doing business with UGR. Sure, I can appreciate the need to protect your livelihood, but veiled threats of blackmail just don't pass the smell test.

To me the thought of having a ludicrous speed car and racing other bajillion horsepower lamborrari's with people so on edge would make me think twice about getting into stakes that high.. To drive something like that you have to have slicked back hair with a snake ring and large men on your payroll who hurt others when you pull the toothpick out of your mouth snap your fingers. Edited by Not Brian

...but Porsche's are just so damn sexy. I'd put out on the first date if you get a 911.

Ordering 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo now...

To me the thought of having a ludicrous speed car and racing other bajillion horsepower lamborrari's with people so on edge would make me even twice about getting into stakes that high.. To drive something like that you have to have slicked back hair with a snake ring and large men on your payroll who hurt others when you pull the toothpick out of your mouth snap your fingers.

LOL, your character descriptions/visualizations have been on point lately.

The people I've known with higher-end Porsches always smell like Roasted Hazelnut.. and they never move their eyebrows when they talk. Not that that is a good or bad thing, it's just noticable.

This one made me LOL...I nearly spit up my Hazelnut coffee I drink every morning :D

1. Have job that pays $4000/month

2. Buy Lambo, get loan for $3500/month

3. Live in house with 16 other guys, pay $100/month in rent

4. Spend $100/week on valet parking your car in front of club and buying rounds of lemon drop shots for people in the club

5. Live the fucking dream

Wait-So this is doing it wrong?!:confused: