997 Turbo v. C6 Z06

Dr. Pomade

A while back, I got opinions on a C6Z versus a GT-R. After doing some research, I decided the GT-R just wasn't for me. Awesome car, just not what I think I'm into.

The C6Z is still definitely on my list, but now so is the 997 Turbo. However, the 997 Turbo is significantly more expensive than the C6Z. For instance, consider these two cars, which are the same in terms of year and about the same in mileage:

Here's the C6Z, priced at $44K:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=307520619&dealer_id=613438&car_year=2007&systime=&doors=&model=CORV&search_lang=en&start_year=2006&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=300&min_price=&rdm=1317480478795&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=1146859&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2009&make3=&showZipError=n&color3=&make2=POR&certified=&engine=&dma=COLUMBUS_OH_WE&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=distance&max_mileage=&color=WHITE&address=43201&sort_type=distance&model2=911TURBO&max_price=&color2=BLACK&make=CHEV&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=177&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

And here's the Porsche, priced at $82K:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=307058330&dealer_id=55433242&car_year=2007&doors=&systime=&listingCounter=0&adModel=CORV&search_lang=en&start_year=2006&highlightFirstMakeModel=&rdm=1317480478795&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&keywords_display=&sownerid=1146859&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&make3=&make2=POR&certified=&engine=&adBodyStyle=&dma=COLUMBUS_OH_WE&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&useBIRF=true&sort_type=distance&adClassSeries=&max_price=&make=CHEV&useImpressions=true&model=CORV&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&search_type=both&distance=300&min_price=&fuel=&listingPriority=30&flip=a&end_year=2009&color3=&showZipError=n&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&body_code=0&default_sort=distance&max_mileage=&address=43201&color=WHITE&model2=911TURBO&adMake=CHEV&color2=BLACK&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=277&ref=srl

So, what are your thoughts? Is the Porsche worth being that much more than the Corvette?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If all you care about is outright speed, no.

There really isn't much that can touch a C6z for the money.

If you appreciate and desire the Porsche for what it is, yes.

Which brings me back around to the GT-R NEW for that price, which will do everyting a 2012 911 Turbo-S Can do for 1/2 price.

If all you care about is outright speed, no.

There really isn't much that can touch a C6z for the money.

If you appreciate and desire the Porsche for what it is, yes.

Which brings me back around to the GT-R NEW for that price, which will do everyting a 2012 911 Turbo-S Can do for 1/2 price.

No, don't care just about outright speed. However, what am I missing about the Porsche? I'm not seeing anything that would justify it being about $40K more. Granted, I haven't driven either the 997 Turbo or the C6Z, but I find it hard to believe I would "feel" that much of a difference between two if I drove both. I drove a 996 Turbo and, I have to say, I was thoroughly unimpressed, which was kind of shocking.

And, I hear you on the new GT-R, but it's just not for me.

The Porsche is infinitely sexier then the Corvette. I dont know how to justify 38k dollars tho.

I might say the Porsche is sexier, though I wouldn't say infinitely, at least not in my opinion. I definitely wouldn't say it's $38K sexier, that's for sure. :cool:

Id probably just buy 2 C6Zs if the Porsche was an option.

So, no brainer then if I'm just wanting one or the other? Go with the Corvette?

If you drove a 996 and didn't care for it, you will be hard pressed to pay 38K more for a updated version.

Stick with the C6 imo.

I agree with this statement.

Plus look at cost of parts/repairs if needed. C6 Z06 will save you some money there, and I think the vette tax is a lot less than the 997 tax.

I like the 997, but not for that price the value is not there. That is if I had the money to have to make a choice like this.

If you drove a 996 and didn't care for it, you will be hard pressed to pay 38K more for a updated version.

Stick with the C6 imo.

Yeah, I found my (very stock) C5 Z06 to be way better in pretty much every way in comparison to that 996 Turbo that I drove. I was shocked at how little the 996 did for me. I've kept telling myself I drove a dog of 996, that something wasn't right with it, etc. just because I didn't want to believe that I disliked it that much. Just one test drive, but still...

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG possible other option? I think its around the 65k price.

Have thought about the AMG's, but then I get all confused, not knowing which version is better than the others - CLR SLR C63 AMGRYLIUASGDLIUWQGDALBDLQGD;AQ

However, what am I missing about the Porsche? I'm not seeing anything that would justify it being about $40K more.

http://www.goodlogo.com/images/logos/porsche_logo_2645.gif

That, and 911s have a rather unique driving style on track. If you're not planning to go to Mid-Ohio, and the badge doesn't do anything for you, then get the C6

vette. just got done driving mine and i'm still grinning ear to ear. if you're considering spending $90k on a car, you need to look at some other high end players imo. some of the newer AMG benzes are twin turbo V8's that would likely hit 600hp with just a tune. the newer m5's are getting the twin turbo v8 from the x5m, and could be at 600hp with a tune. these could easily qualify as daily drivers and family cars as well, while still raping the shit out of 99% of anything you come across. decisions, decisions. if you haven't done so already, you need to take a drive in a c6z. 90mph in second gear, anyone??