997 Turbo v. C6 Z06

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reason being? Just curios not being a dick

Just because the Porsche, for me anyways, seems like it will age a little better than the Z06. I'm not talking 5-10 years, more like 20-30.

That and I look at the 80's and 90's Porsche's and I'm like wow I'd love to try one of those out, unlike most 80's and 90's Corvettes (then again, the newer Corvettes are leaps and bounds ahead of the past one). Honestly, typing this out is making me re-think my answer, lol.

997TT made leaps and bounds in both power delivery and ESP on the interior.

However Porsche keeps making them softer and heavier. You should at least drive a 997 before making your final impression based just off your 996 drive.

But if the Porsche doesn't speak to you then it doesn't. There's no doubt the Z06 is the best bargain in the sports car market

If you wanna creep into the 70k dollar range I would have to add this too the search.

DrVantage Has a nice ring to it. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=302112538&dealer_id=68278&car_year=2007&systime=&doors=&model=&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=200&min_price=&rdm=1317504539649&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=COLUMBUS_OH_EA&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=43055&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=ASTON&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=176&standard=false

Just to make the comparison fair. In black http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=304570589&dealer_id=68278&car_year=2007&systime=&doors=&model=&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=200&min_price=&rdm=1317504539649&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=COLUMBUS_OH_EA&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=43055&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=ASTON&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=176&standard=false

If you wanna creep into the 70k dollar range I would have to add this too the search.

DrVantage Has a nice ring to it. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=302112538&dealer_id=68278&car_year=2007&systime=&doors=&model=&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=200&min_price=&rdm=1317504539649&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=COLUMBUS_OH_EA&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=43055&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=ASTON&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=176&standard=false

Just to make the comparison fair. In black http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=304570589&dealer_id=68278&car_year=2007&systime=&doors=&model=&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=200&min_price=&rdm=1317504539649&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=COLUMBUS_OH_EA&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=43055&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=ASTON&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=176&standard=false

The AM is by far Undisputed KING of Sex. It will fall fall short of any performance expectations set by the previous contenders though.

Have thought about the AMG's, but then I get all confused, not knowing which version is better than the others - CLR SLR C63 AMGRYLIUASGDLIUWQGDALBDLQGD;AQ

55 = 5.4l V8 supercharge

63 = 6.2l V8 NA

65 = 6.0l V12 twin turbo

The new 2012 63 AMG will come with 5.4l V8 twin turbo except for the C63 which still have the 6.2l V8 NA engine.

Hope that help. And as much as it pain me, the Corvette Z06 is very hard to beat.

http://www.goodlogo.com/images/logos/porsche_logo_2645.gif

That, and 911s have a rather unique driving style on track. If you're not planning to go to Mid-Ohio, and the badge doesn't do anything for you, then get the C6

However Porsche keeps making them softer and heavier. You should at least drive a 997 before making your final impression based just off your 996 drive.

But if the Porsche doesn't speak to you then it doesn't. There's no doubt the Z06 is the best bargain in the sports car market

For me it would come down to initial gut impression , your goals and mod ability gain per $.

Its says a lot that you've had a impressively modded out c5z and want to go to the c6z. Some people would say been there, done that. You on the other hand are signing up for more.

Considering that winter is all but upon us and depending on how much you want to keep your next car stock, i would suggest holding out for the c7z in a few years. Well maybe not holding out, but not blowing your load on a car right here right meow.

for me 44k is not worth it, go with the c6z

All cars have inherent qualities that appeal to some, and push others away. Only way to find out is to drive it. We're just lucky consumers to have such selectivity available to us nowadays.

Be it a 997 or C6Z you really can't hate on either car, pure win.

And uglier.

1997 993 with the Gemballa package and some mods and call it a day.

http://i56.tinypic.com/l8w3p.jpg

:dumb:

Great, another P car purist. :fuuuu:

I'd take a 997.2 Turbo S PDK over any air cooled Porsche, anytime, every day.

Yes, this even counts some of the Ruf "finessed" 993's.

I agree about bang for buck the c6 hands down is champ.

But if I was ever considering dropping 80-90k on a car it would have to be a Ferrari. The sound of the engine alone justifies the price.

http://m.autotrader.com/(S(dfxc1an5br4o0245pj4dy42k))/Car.aspx?PageID=CR2&id=307145620&from=/PageID%3dCS1%26make%3dFER%26zip%3d43725%26distance%3d0%26type%3dboth%26start_year%3d2002%26end_year%3d2012%26min_price%3d50000%26max_price%3d100000%26model%3d

I drove a 996 Turbo and, I have to say, I was thoroughly unimpressed, which was kind of shocking.

If you drove a 996 or 997 with a Switzer P800 package, this would be a NO BRAINIER.

Its your your time to come up north and I will get you in one. The difference is unexplainable really.

http://www.goodlogo.com/images/logos/porsche_logo_2645.gif

That, and 911s have a rather unique driving style on track. If you're not planning to go to Mid-Ohio, and the badge doesn't do anything for you, then get the C6

Yeah, not really planning on being at Mid-Ohio much (if at all), and I'm not in love with Porsche, so the badge doesn't do all that much for me.

And if I was looking at 90K+ cars I definetly would not have it narrowed down to just 2 choices.

Who said I narrowed anything down to just two choices? :) I was just comparing two cars that are of interest to me and wanted to understand how the Porsche could be priced so much higher than the C6Z.

Baller. :cool:

...you know MY opinion.

;)

KillJoy

Stella > *

Definitely plan on driving a 997. I wonder though, at this point, if I haven't established impossible expectations for the Porsche? I'd like to think I haven't, but I'm afraid I might have.

Considering that winter is all but upon us and depending on how much you want to keep your next car stock, i would suggest holding out for the c7z in a few years. Well maybe not holding out, but not blowing your load on a car right here right meow.

When is the C7 set to come out?

2012 M5. 560hp TT V8. *drops the mic*

Links? Pics? Vids? Vids of you benching...?

John, come over and we will take the GT2 out for a spin. Maybe give you a second opinion of the Porsche and also give you an idea what they feel like modded. I don’t think you can go wrong with either car though.

What exactly are your intentions with the car????

DD? Weekend/nice weather only car? Track car? 1/4-mile? Roll racing? 1-Mile? Autocross? Roadrace?

That is going to be the deciding factor....

If you just want something cheap to mod/race, then I would go with the C6Z. If you want something more special then I would look at the Porsche or something else. You can buy a LOT of cars in that price range.

If you just want looks and to look like a baller (but otherwise a turd), get an Aston Martin or something in that class. If you want something fun but a DD, then get the new M5 or E63 AMG, etc.

If you want something that will do ALL of those things and drive in the winter, get the 997-Turbo. However, I would wait a few more months. Now that the 991 has hit the lots prices will DROP and once the 991-Turbo comes out, they will drop even more. If you were doing more track day type events I would look at a 997-GT3.

I have been doing the same shopping and really can't decide. I just haven't found anything I just HAVE to have. At this point with my schedule it will just sit in the garage so what's the point. Go drive them ALL and take notes on the good/bad of each.

The only reason I wouldn't buy a C6Z is in Houston they are EVERYWHERE. They are like Mustangs use to be years ago. Now that the prices have dropped and used ones are cheap, they just aren't that special "to me" when I see one on about every corner. If you are going to mod it and beat on it, you can't beat the price/performance....but if you want something rarely seen forget it. They are worse than Terminators use to be...