Apple iPhone 4s Goes to Apple Farm & Pumpkin Patch

TTQ B4U

As a photographer, I love playing with new cameras of all types. I have 19 of them all together ranging from $90 P&S models to my professional grade DSLR's and love them all. Knowing the limits and capabilities adds to the fun of even snapshot shooting as a father.

Overall, the phone did fine. Bright conditions are absolutely not the 4s' friend. I knew this early on as it really has a tendency to blow out highlights and the jpeg processing internally is really way to contrasty. That said the best ones really depended on the position of the sun. Today ranged from puffy clouds and blue sky to quickly going overcast and eventually quite cloudy. Fun was had by all though.

Here are a couple early ones from today. More to come.

iPhone 4s

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/139092228/original.jpg

iPhone 4s

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/139092227/original.jpg

iPhone 4s & Flash for Fill Used

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/139092189/original.jpg

Edited by TTQ B4U

But again with the watermarks!!!

If I told you how many times images of mine have popped up on other sites with others trying to take credit for them, you'd understand why. I find and have to fight at least one per month. I have software that imbeds/stitches a pretty tough code into my images and then scans the web for them. May not be 100%, but it's damn good.

Honestly, that's why I put very few if any of my clients photos online, even password protected sites. With all the hype of the 4s, if I didn't I'd bet you any amount of money, images would be snagged.

You know what I'm gonna steal one and host them the way they are, and then you will have to ask the wife to take time out of her busy day to write me a letter, I'll delete them there and host them somewhere else, and then I will have to get another letter from her, and it will get old real quick over a stupid busted pumpkin pic, you'll get divorced, only see your kids on weekends...... See where this is going? LOL I got the time and I don't have to hire a lawyer either, I'll just keep deleting them and host it somewhere else, you will have to be committed. Is this really worth it?

Yep the Apple orchard and busted pumpkin pic market is a blood bath right now, so much money to be made.

How about if a coworker took the picture frame on your desk at work, removed your wife's picture and put it on their desk with their family in it. What if that idea at work you came up with was presented by someone else as theirs and you weren't given credit? Would that bother you? How about if I come over and take your grill off your deck? I mean it has no value to anyone else here on CR, so who cares right?

How would your boss/company feel if you took a ream of paper home with your now and then? Do you think a neighbor you don't know would care if you took his garden hose? Do you mind if I give out your cell number however I please? Do you care if I use your drivers license as a basis for making fakes?

Perhaps those things don't mean anything to you, but is what you think of them the basis for determining if the action is right/wrong for the rightful owner regardless of the market value?

So by your theory the RIAA doesn't give a shit if you were to illegally download an album that wasn't a hit or in demand? how do you think the recording artist would feel if you took that album and put your name on it? Do you think he/she would feel differently just because it was not a popular album?

Just curious.

I have a friend who found his image being used by a COMPANY as advertising. They had cropped out his logo. He is currently in lawsuit with them.

He was advised to have the watermark prominent, and with copyright date on it, to strenghthen the case with ANY future image.

What Tim is doing is incredibly smart. You dont realize how rampant photography theft is.

Personally, i dont put the year on the image, but i strip all my exif, and put my copyright and contact info in there.

You know what I'm gonna steal one and host them the way they are, and then you will have to ask the wife to take time out of her busy day to write me a letter, I'll delete them there and host them somewhere else, and then I will have to get another letter from her, and it will get old real quick over a stupid busted pumpkin pic, you'll get divorced, only see your kids on weekends...... See where this is going? LOL I got the time and I don't have to hire a lawyer either, I'll just keep deleting them and host it somewhere else, you will have to be committed. Is this really worth it?

All it takes is a form letter already completed and proven in case law around the world and used many times over to the hosting company of the internet provider. I wouldn't go after you. Neither would my wife. She doesn't do copyright law and is quite busy. I'd simply make one call and send one letter to the company providing your service with a cease and desist with clarity on the situation, expectations and next steps. If they don't comply, I go after them, as they are a much richer target and will likely more responsive as they have skin in the game. By doing so, you might actually make me money!

The value of the photos wouldn't come into question. You're right, they have none really. However, I could prove that LightSpeed does and has a three year history of making money. However, all that aside even, their compliance with copyright law would come into question and right now, the last thing any company wants to do is be involved in is a compliance case that they can more than easily make go away.

Do you think they would comply? Do you believe they would warn you prior to shutting off your service? Do you feel if they incur any costs that they might come back to you for not complying with their warning and violating any number of things that would shed the heat off of them?

It's all in line with one of the basic very reasons (but not only reason) Ant enforces the no street racing policy around here. I'm sure he has no desired to have to fight the hosting site who would do the same if such an annoyance comes up. Companies do react when copyright law is in question. Especially when everything involved is digital and just takes a flip of a switch to correct should the offender not comply with a warning.

Ben, I know this is all in good fun, but I've been down this road twice in the past 5 years. Both were over photos of my dogs believe it or not. Not even good ones at that. In one case, the offender didn't comply and I spend $500 to go after the ISP in Canada. It took 7 months to get my money back but that's okay. The photo was eventually removed and I had my fees refunded and my photos were eventually removed.

Yep the Apple orchard and busted pumpkin pic market is a blood bath right now, so much money to be made.

My friend, whom i mentioned in the lawsuit, the image in question was one of his sailboat (his personal sailboat) he found an add for a winery in a sailing magazine that was using HIS sailboat.

YOu just never know what someone will consider a "stock" photo for.

TIms apple orchard picture would be ideal to a lot of companies. Its perceived innocence and Autumn, and groceries, and juice, and farming..

My friend, whom i mentioned in the lawsuit, the image in question was one of his sailboat (his personal sailboat) he found an add for a winery in a sailing magazine that was using HIS sailboat.

YOu just never know what someone will consider a "stock" photo for.

Tims apple orchard picture would be ideal to a lot of companies. Its perceived innocence and Autumn, and groceries, and juice, and farming..

You got it. It's not necessarily just what value the photo has or even what the photographer makes. It's what the use of the image is going to potentially net the company using it.

So why again? Because without my clear watermark, my photos could end up on a site somewhere talking about the 4s capabilities, linked to a few different forums and someone somewhere is eventually going to be generating revenue from it without my release to do so. Without my consent spelled out in a separate document, I can legally pursue that infringement and win.

So question then. I know nothing about photography but what's a couple tips for getting decent shots with the 4S? Cause I take random pics of anything and everything I find interesting/curious....

Just like a couple basic tips would be appreciated!

I think it's Hilarious, hundreds of pics from users are on MacRumors showing the 4s ability off, That is one of the largest messageboards in cyberspace. 633,000 members, No watermarks.

7m people on earth and yet in 2011 Thousands piss and don't wash their hands afterwards too :no:

Edited by TTQ B4U

Tim, did you do any Photoshopping of those images? Or are those as is downloaded from the phone and adding the watermark? If you did do some Photoshopping what kinds of things did you need to do to get that much color and contrast out of them?

The 4s pics are just resized and branded is all. It does pretty good overall.