CR Review: 2012 Chevy Sonic

zeitgeist57

So, I'm up in sunny Cleveland, driving after work to meet an old college friend for dinner. Stop by Pat O'Brien Chevrolet to check out the new Sonic. Thought I might be able to drive the 1.4L Turbo with 6-speed manual. Met the nicest/most knowledgable sales guy. Procured unassuming hatch with 15" wheels and a little kit, but had the all-important turbo/stick combo. We were off.

PERFORMANCE: I test-drove a Chevy Cruze Eco a while back, and was very impressed by the powertrain. I thought that the same engine/tranny combo in a smaller and lighter car would be a benefit. It definitely had some good performance, but I may have had too-high expectations. Around town and on the highway, this thing definitely accelerated well and the 6-speed manual was a great transmission. On surface streets at 40mph lugging at 1400rpms, you can floor the pedal in 4th gear and it will quickly spool up and get to 60 in a hurry; very surprising for a 1.4L engine! Chevy said they consulted with the Corvette guys on the suspension? With the base model 15" alloys and rear drum brakes, it felt fine but I would have to wring it out harder to support that statement. What I was very impressed with was the electric steering; solid on the highway, but loosens up dramatically at slower speeds and stop lights; very light and easy to turn. As a car guy I like thinking about turning the steering wheel at a stop and not have the engine labor against the old PS pump to turn the wheels. Electronic Steering FTW.

INSIDE: The plastic smell was choking at first. Styling was nice, but it was a LOT of plastic. Seats were supportive. Rear seat legroom was good, but nothing to write about. Rear overhang was almost non-existant, but hatch area had good storage space. I loved the "motorcycle-inspired" dashboard: small, very functional, and easy to read. Unfortunately, it leaves for a HUGE expanse of dashboard going up to the shallow slope of the windshield. I couldn't get over the feeling of being 5 feet away from the windshield, like in a 90s GM minivan. Content was excellent: heated seats, leather, Bluetooth, power everything. I drove a midrange model, but the LTZ with sunroof, and everything down to sharp 17" wheels stickers for less than $19,600. And you still get a turbo and a 6-speed manual. Very nice. Would GM ever put a diesel in the Sonic? Probably not, as that would likely cannibalize from the diesel Cruze...

SEDAN or HATCHBACK? The sedan is ugly from the back and looks incredibly out of proportion. Not good looking at all. In person, the hatchback's dimensions grew on me: not love-at-first-sight, but after 10 minutes of looking it over from several angles I liked it. Ditch the 15" wheels and add the niceties of the LTZ and I would definitely like this car.

VALUE: For $17k, the midrange Sonic hatch 1LT had the powertrain I wanted with some of the kit, but still had cloth seats and wimpy 15" wheels. For less than $2k more, you get an LTZ with a lot of interior and exterior enhancements...definitely a stronger case for buying. I really liked this car, but again couldn't help but think about owning a used CTS-V. Sorry guys, just being honest even if it kills this review.

CLIFFS: In sedan form, the base model kinda sucks. In LTZ/hatchback form, a well-contented small hatchback with great performance. If I was 20 years old again, I would strongly consider buying a Black or Cyber Gray LTZ hatchback. :)

It feels alot like an Aveo to me, no matter how you slice it, it's still a little throw away car.

Intresting fact, the 1.4 turbo with an automatic is on restriction currently, so for a short time all you can get with the turbo is a stick. We have one at Dave Gill.

I like the idea that we are finally starting to produce some "europeanish" small displacement turbo/ 6 speed hatches and small cars.

That being said, the efficiency & power being cranked out of 400hp+ V6 & V8's today makes them obsolete to me for the immediate future.

I'll take a 30-32mpg 400hp+ sedan or coupe over a 40mpg tin can any day.

However, for the college student on a budget who wants a new car, I can see the appeal. Hell, when gas starts climbing again, these things will be sold faster than 99 cent whoppers.

Clay, I like your reviews and all but what the hell is the point? If you are really comparing any of these compact toy cars to either gen cts v, I just don't get it.

I recognize. You're right. That's my last car review. The CTS-V is definitely sealed in my head now. :)

I just never got your economy car vs v part of the reviews.

Clays a Penny Wise kind of guy but never foolish when spending thus one side of him says EcoSavings and the other says CTS-V ya! I struggled with the same thing when I bought the MS3. I was sure I was going G8 and likely a hold out for a GXP Version. However, I'm cheap too and couldn't see spending the coin on a car just then.

Clays a Penny Wise kind of guy but never foolish when spending thus one side of him says EcoSavings and the other says CTS-V ya! I struggled with the same thing when I bought the MS3. I was sure I was going G8 and likely a hold out for a GXP Version. However, I'm cheap too and couldn't see spending the coin on a car just then.

That's what I figured. I am the same way. I lust after all of these 40k+ cars but know I could never spend the money on them, even though I could afford it. Cars like the gti and ms3 provide excellent $/fun ratios.