Winter tires

SiColin

Since a beater is prolly out of the question this year cause of lack of space and not wanting to put my car in storage. I've been contemplating picking up a set for this up coming winter and have a few questions. First off is our winters in central Ohio bad enough for these to come into good use? I drove my car last winter fwd over 300 wtq and under 2500lbs and managed fine. Only a few times I felt nervous plowing snow on the highway.

Would it make a difference adding weight to the rear even though it's fwd. I ask this cause One year I did 360 and got slammed into cause of some guy following to close.

How do the snow tires hold up on dry pavement? Alot of road noise? I'm assuming a few less mpg correct? What are good brands and the right size to fit a 15 inch wheel on a lowered car? Currently running 205/50s. I might just consider running 14 inch steel wheels if it will save me some money.

I appologize for the grammar if bad just got home from the bar.

I love the confidence of snow tires, but I travel all over, and need them in many places. If someone has the means to put them on and doesn't, it's not worth needing them and not having them on, at least to me. I wouldn't run any less than a 50 side wall. The roads are too beat up in the winter, and I lost two tires and wheels to messed up roads last year, running a 40 side wall.

Ben is dead on.

Winter tires in winter = summer tires in summer.

You get the best possible traction, cornering and stability.

I tend to lean towards the V rated "performance snows" as they have 95% of a summer tire's performance on the cold winter streets, which is 90% of what we have in ohio. And they are still damn awesome on snow.

The traditional squisy snow tires are a a bit better in the really deep stuff, but we get very little of that here.

Highly recommend the Dunlop Wintersport 3D. I've had 3-4 different options over they years and I keep coming back to them.

I ran 14" winterforces on my 2wd s10 when I had it. Thing was a beast in the snow with them and a pallet in the bed. Also decided to leave them on all year for 2 years almost. Loved them

Best thing was I was able to get them all 4, mounted and balanced with new stems for $281