big ol carp i caught today

TurboRust

I know what the main cause of the algae is. Look at the lakes that have the issue, they are all old impoundments that are nothing more than giant drainage pools. Any ODNR officer will tell you that they are trying to cull the carp population in Buckeye, as it continues to help the spread of the algae. Just because they are not the cause

Exactly, which is why the population needs thinned. They aren't going to spread something somewhere that it isn't.

I am not blaming Carp for the problem, we all know the main issue is farm runoff, but like I said, the scientifically proven fact that this type of algae thrives with carp presence means that doing your small part to try to cull the population is the right thing to do.

Well you're more knowledgeable than most, and you at least view the situation logically. My point is that thinning carp in a non-river system is near impossible, and a waste of time and effort. The only reasonable culling methods can't be implemented w/o negatively affecting other species in a huge way. The media attention and tournament does nothing other than breed misinformation and false acceptance of cause:solution relationship, which I think is stupid.

We need a case of beer, some bats and a loud motorboat!

+1 the documentary on these makes me think they will eventually take over all the great lakes.

Have you seen the bow fisherman that go after them? Now THAT looks fun