big ol carp i caught today

TurboRust

i know.. no more racecar all i post about is fishing..lol

so i'm throwing at this wall, and get a keeper saugeye that broke my line, tie on another, throw to the same spot and slam i'm thinking holy shit, this has got to be an 8-9 lb saugeye. fighting, fighting, 7-8 mins later

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/Turborust/IMAG0577.jpg

I fish specifically for carp all the time with some buddies, just because they do fight so hard and get so big. That fish you have there looks to be maybe a 7-8 pound fish I'd say.

We caught a few saturday morning, where water was around 52 degrees, so the biting ought to really slow down in the next couple weeks.

Here is a 22lb 8oz "mirror" carp:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x33/spankis/Cowan2.jpg

And here is a 12 pound common carp:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x33/spankis/Cowan1.jpg

They are a ton of fun, even if people do think you're retarded for fishing for them lol.

Edited by spankis

Decent size...i had a friend whos grandparents lived on a canal on fairfield beach at buckeye...her grandma fed the carp daily, so we used yo go throw bread and then a piece on a hook and catch them...until her grandparents found out and got pissed. lol

That fish you have there looks to be maybe a 7-8 pound fish I'd say.

the picture might not do it justice, but i caught a 23" 6lb saugeye a couple weeks ago and this thing belittled it.. i'd say it was in the 9.5-10 lb range and 26-27" long, it was off my 24" tape

6lb saugeye

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/Turborust/money.jpg

carp

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/Turborust/IMAG0577.jpg

nice catch guys....What do u use at bait for carp? I use wheatie balls and sweet corn..

I use a few different flavored (generally sweet) baits using a hair rig. A lot of guys chum with a variety of grains. I too use corn a lot.

LOL

You're not supposed to. Prove me wrong.

Also explain what environmental problems carp (ohio species) cause. Go.

K

As a bottom feeder, carp uproot aquatic vegetation and resuspend phosphorus from the lake sediment. The fish themselves also produce significant amounts of phosphorus which helps bluegreen algae grow.

http://www.buckeyelakebeacon.net/news/2011-06-25/News/Carp_tournament_debuts_July_1517.html

Typically, the carp are used to clean up the blue-green algae, but the nasty Microcystis Blue-Green algae is essentially being exacerbated by the large amounts of Carp in Buckeye Lake

Well, the Buckeye Lake Beacon has published the spin that Buckeye Lake for Tomorrow puts on the blue-green algae problem. You will find no legitimate, DNR-backed documentation telling the public to kill carp they catch out of Buckeye.

This should explain the issue a bit more accurately:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/06/18/at-buckeye-lake-algae-alerts-dot-all-beaches.html

Specifically, note where it says "Blue-green algae, also called cyanobacteria, are fed by phosphorus runoff from manure, fertilizers and sewage." - NOT carp. The introduction of the algae is the root cause, and media and local tourism (which Buckeye Lake for Tomorrow is largely comprised of) has chosen to point fingers at the negligible impacts of carp as a convenient scapegoat.

The main problem is the introduction of all the algae-feeding material through runoff into the lake, which is a problem locals and government realizes is WAAAAAY more difficult to address than blaming carp. Carp are bottom feeders, yes, but do they specifically uproot vegetation, NO. Grass carp do somewhat, yes, but common carp (as are found in Buckeye lake) do very little vegetation removal.

The biggest problem is runoff, and the unregulated/unmanaged material in that runoff. That said, convincing farmers and the general public to change their behavior isn't nearly as easy as declaring a fish the cause of the problem, and hosting a single-day tournament. As far as stirring up and re-suspending it material, it only seems obvious that having hundreds of unlimited horsepower boats on a lake that is 4-6 feet deep has a much larger impact on stirring up sediment than fish.

Aside from all that, the population of carp in Buckeye, as with most lakes in Ohio, is soooo great that a tournament isn't going to affect their numbers to any meaningful degree. A single female carp will lay 200,000-300,000 eggs per spawn. In addition, I do a lot of carp fishing, and I can tell you that there are plenty of lakes in Ohio with VERY dense populations of carp which have very clear water and thriving vegetation. Most have them are very healthy ecosystems in general, with solid populations of more common sportfish as well. The difference between Buckeye and those lakes are that they aren't surrounded by residential properties and commercial agriculture, and they are largely limited to 10hp powerboats.

And Derek, sorry for the hijack, but there's a ton of misinformation out there. This seemed like a good opportunity.

Well, the Buckeye Lake Beacon has published the spin that Buckeye Lake for Tomorrow puts on the blue-green algae problem. You will find no legitimate, DNR-backed documentation telling the public to kill carp they catch out of Buckeye.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/06/18/at-buckeye-lake-algae-alerts-dot-all-beaches.html

Specifically, note where it says "Blue-green algae, also called cyanobacteria, are fed by phosphorus runoff from manure, fertilizers and sewage." - NOT carp. The introduction of the algae is the root cause, and media and local tourism (which Buckeye Lake for Tomorrow is largely comprised of) has chosen to point fingers at the negligible impacts of carp as a convenient scapegoat.

The main problem is the introduction of all the algae-feeding material through runoff into the lake, which is a problem locals and government realizes is WAAAAAY more difficult to address than blaming carp. Carp are bottom feeders, yes, but do they specifically uproot vegetation, NO. Grass carp do somewhat, yes, but common carp (as are found in Buckeye lake) do very little vegetation removal.

The biggest problem is runoff, and the unregulated/unmanaged material in that runoff. That said, convincing farmers and the general public to change their behavior isn't nearly as easy as declaring a fish the cause of the problem, and hosting a single-day tournament. As far as stirring up and re-suspending it material, it only seems obvious that having hundreds of unlimited horsepower boats on a lake that is 4-6 feet deep has a much larger impact on stirring up sediment than fish.

Aside from all that, the population of carp in Buckeye, as with most lakes in Ohio, is soooo great that a tournament isn't going to affect their numbers to any meaningful degree. A single female carp will lay 200,000-300,000 eggs per spawn. In addition, I do a lot of carp fishing, and I can tell you that there are plenty of lakes in Ohio with VERY dense populations of carp which have very clear water and thriving vegetation. Most have them are very healthy ecosystems in general, with solid populations of more common sportfish as well. The difference between Buckeye and those lakes are that they aren't surrounded by residential properties and commercial agriculture, and they are largely limited to 10hp powerboats.

And Derek, sorry for the hijack, but there's a ton of misinformation out there. This seemed like a good opportunity.

Carpfucker.

I know what the main cause of the algae is. Look at the lakes that have the issue, they are all old impoundments that are nothing more than giant drainage pools. Any ODNR officer will tell you that they are trying to cull the carp population in Buckeye, as it continues to help the spread of the algae. Just because they are not the cause

Exactly, which is why the population needs thinned. They aren't going to spread something somewhere that it isn't.

I am not blaming Carp for the problem, we all know the main issue is farm runoff, but like I said, the scientifically proven fact that this type of algae thrives with carp presence means that doing your small part to try to cull the population is the right thing to do.