Official College Basketball 2011-12 Thread

TimTaylor751647545500

Can anyone tell me the Big Ten tournament seeding tie breakers? Why is Ohio State the #3 seed behind Michigan and Michigan State when OSU is 1-1 against each team with a better overall record?

It goes to common opponents records, and the next highest would be Wisconsin at #4. MSU went 2-0 against Wisc. Michigan went 1-0 and OSU went 1-1.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

straight from the B1G

MULTIPLE-TEAM TIE

1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular season.

•A. When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1); in the case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or .000 the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

•B. After the top team among the tied teams is determined, the second team is ranked by its record among the original tied teams, not the head-to-head record vs. the remaining team(s).

2. If the remaining teams are still tied, then each tied team's record shall be compared to the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings, continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

•A. When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to their own tie-breaking procedures), rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.

•B. When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1); in the case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or .000 the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

3. Won-loss percentage of all Division I opponents.

4. Coin toss conducted by the Commissioner or designee.

Yeah, the rules are stupid. It should just be Conference record, head to head match ups and then overall record like it is in football. They just have to make things more complicated and confusing.

I wonder if tOSU can get a no.1 seed if they win the B1G tourny.

Yeah, the rules are stupid. It should just be Conference record, head to head match ups and then overall record like it is in football. They just have to make things more complicated and confusing.

I wonder if tOSU can get a no.1 seed if they win the B1G tourny.

No, because seeding is done before that game is over unless an outside the bubble team is in the championship game.

That's the downfall of being not only the last championship game, but also so close to the selection show.

I would rather tOSU be a 3 seed in Duke, North Carolina, Kansas or Syracuse's bracket than be a 2 seed in Kentucky's bracket, but for some reason it seems like we will be stuck as a 2 seed in UK's bracket.

If we lose the first game, there is a chance. But if if tOSU makes it to the championship game, win or lose, they are a high #2 seed. Which means they will be in Duke/UNC or Kansas's bracket.

If we lose the first game, there is a chance. But if if tOSU makes it to the championship game, win or lose, they are a high #2 seed. Which means they will be in Duke/UNC or Kansas's bracket.

If Purdue beats Nebraska which is very likely there is a good chance we could lose to Purdue if we decide to play like shit which we have been doing every other game here lately, so we will see.

Nice job, Cincy.

Sully beasted tonight. Could tell early in the game he came to play. Not just because he had like 8 of OSU's first 11 or so points but because he was more active than I've seen him since the start of the season. Hopefully that lasts from now through the real tourney because he hasn't looked like that since before his injuries.

OSU playing at 9:45pm on TNT Thursday night

UC playing at whogivesafuckpm on GOFURSELF Friday afternoon

But really

Ohio: 7:20 PM Friday on TNT

Cincinnati: 12:15 PM Friday on CBS

Xavier: Late game Friday on TNT (after conclusion of a 7:15 tipoff)