CCP question, shooting a dog?

Cereal_Killer

First I love dogs, I have 4 myself and several of my friends pets are dogs I personally rescued, I would never randomly hurt a dog or shoot it for no reason...

Last night about 10pm I was walking my biggest dog Mota (85lb pit) down the alleys as usual and a dog that lives just a few houses down that always goes crazy jumped the 6 foot fence and came after me, this was about a 90+ pound husky that I'm sure could have done a fair amount of damage to me. I dropped Mota's leash and he didnt hesitate, he stopped that dog from getting me and engauged it while I had time to get the gate open and I managed to get it back in its yard and continue our walk. After I got home I checked out my dog and he had a pretty nasty cut on his face, I started thinking about how bad that could have been if I had one of my smaller dogs with me and not big Mota, the damage on him showed I could have easily been fucked up pretty bad.

The rules on when you can and can not shot a person are very well defined but what about a dog, when do I shoot? That dog could have easily caused major bodily injury to me but do I even need that much? I mean I'm sure I could have fought the dog and kept it from killing me (I hope) but its a big animal, I would have taken damage no doubt. When is shooting a dog justified? Remember dogs are property, they have no value assigned to their lives in the rule of law (except police dogs, double standard much?)

Edited by Cereal_Killer

Yes but I dont carry pepper spray, I carry a gun lol.

I havent seed a dog being pepper sprayed but I was at a demonstration where they were being CS gasses and they almost didnt react, the normal reaction was to clear their nose and keep on doing what they were doing. Then again there's bear spray, maybe a stream is worse than gas.

Practice your calf-roping skills on the murderous dog.

This.

Even though I don't really care one way or the other about a dog and especially one thats charging me, I still wouldn't shoot until I at least tried to give it a good beating. Shootings going cause to many annoying questions. I'm pretty sure though that you don't really have any "duty to retreat" such as with a shooting a person since in the case of a dog you really don't have anywhere to run or time to think about it.

I had a pair of Rotts attack me and my wife (they were owned by a State Highway Patrol officer) they were not on a leash in the city. I soaked the first one's muzzle in spray - the only thing it did was give me maybe 5 seconds for the owner to get to them and restrain them. Had he not been there, we would have been seriously injured or killed. This was before CCW. So basically, it did nothing. BTW: He BEGGED me not to make a police report - I did. Didn't realize he was a SHP until later that week when I saw him with both dogs and he was in uniform... If it happens to me like that again, the dog will die.

I had a buddy about two years ago shoot a dog. He lived in an apartment complex near Gahanna (actually Columbus police) and he took his trash out to the dumpster and was walking back when his neighbors pit started walking towards him growling. The pit wouldn't back up or go back to the apartment. The guy pulled his gun and kept it as his side ready. The pit finally charged and the guy put two rounds into the pit. Then he called the police. Police came out and told the guy he did the right thing. No charges or anything else except a sad neighbor who lost his dog.

a dog that lives just a few houses down that always goes crazy jumped the 6 foot fence and came after me...

I've quoted the important part. First, you know it's a problem so either handle it appropriately or stop provoking a poorly trained dog everytime you walk yours. Handle this first thing right, and you won't find yourself questioning whether you want to shoot someone else's animal.

Start by speaking with the owners. There's no reason not to be amicable and try. If there's still a problem, contact animal control. I would go ahead and do that, now. Since you've already been attacked. Personally, I would ask for them to speak with the owners, not take away their dog. Make them understand the next time the dog will be taken away and/or a large fine or possible lawsuit.

This is 2011. You have zero reason to be questioning the shooting of this dog. Especially, since you say you're a caring dog owner yourself. You're not on your farm with a feral dog threatening your family. You're walking by a yard with a poorly trained, aggressive dog that you are not forced to confront and without any other avenues having been investigated, ie; haven't spoke with animal control or the owners or changed your dog walking route, etc. At this point, you're putting yourself and your dog in a situation. And as a fellow bully owner, it'll be you who gets blamed 9 times out of 10. (Probably not in this case since their dog is jumping the fence unsupervised. But you know what Im saying.) Of course, you shouldnt' have to alter your walks, etc. It's not right. But again, I think you know what Im saying.

Just trying to put things into perspective here. Some level minds have to prevail in this forum of 'shoot first and ask questions later'. ;)

I had a buddy about two years ago shoot a dog. He lived in an apartment complex near Gahanna (actually Columbus police) and he took his trash out to the dumpster and was walking back when his neighbors pit started walking towards him growling. The pit wouldn't back up or go back to the apartment. The guy pulled his gun and kept it as his side ready. The pit finally charged and the guy put two rounds into the pit. Then he called the police. Police came out and told the guy he did the right thing. No charges or anything else except a sad neighbor who lost his dog.

If I were the cops I would have called the guy a vagina.