Air Compressor Recommendations

wagner

I am looking to get an air compressor for my garage and wanted to see what some of you used. I am looking for something that is big enough to run air tools for most car related repairs/builds.

Educate me on:

Tank size, how much air it needs to push, brands to stay away from.

Keep this on topic and useful, I am sure some others could use this information.

What tools are you hoping to run? A DA Sander requires different things then an impact. Is this going to be for small jobs or do you want to run a air ratchet or sander all day?

My dad had this one in his garage for years. It is now in my brothers garage. We did everything mechanically (timing belts, motor swaps, trannys, etc) and never had a problem. Biggest PITA was having to run a 220v circuit to the garage.

My buddy has this one. If he tries to run air ratchets it is a PITA because it is always running low. However, it is great for impact guns and stuck bolts, while using hand tools to do the rest of the job. He also gets away with less air hose and being able to use any outlet. He can take it anywhere there is power (a friend's house to help, etc).

Hope that helps.

I have I believe a 30 gallon but it doesnt run body tools like a da or my grinders without almost constantly needing to run. My father in law just bought a 2 stage(recovers faster so it doesnt work so hard) 60 gallon compressor, iron horse brand, from andersons I believe for $499. Looked like a very good deal.

I would get the biggest thing you can afford. If you're not going to be running sanders and paint prep type equipment you can get away with smaller stuff. An impact is going to work better on higher pressure with some decent cfm in order to break loose the stubborn stuff. The bigger you get the less it'll have to run and the more effecient it'll be. Personally I'd go big enough to hard wire it to 220v, but I also would want to bring my air tools home and have them work as well as they do at work. A decent 20+ gallon air compresser should get you enough, just look at the cfm output in relation to the air pressure its rated at. Since most smaller compressors will stay around 90-100 psi make sure it has some cfm there.

You're welcome to stop by and check mine out. It's a medium sized craftsman unit that came packaged with an impact gun and air ratchet. It worked well when I did the LT1 tear down and works well for all the little jobs I do.

Sounds like a date :)

I am going to be running impacts, don't plan on doing any body type work with this. I just want to be able to run air ratchets, impact guns, and maybe a few other things.

What CFM numbers should I be looking at?

I never planned on doing and da work either or grinding or using my cutoff wheel, until the day I needed them and didnt have the power without it being a pain in the ass.

Cut-off wheels and die grinders come in very handy for a lot of jobs. A die grinder with a nice soft rubber disk is great for cleaning gasket surfaces and a smaller compressor has trouble keeping up.

I have a 60gal. unit that runs on 220 and I think the auto shutoff is somewhere around 130psi. I got it at one of those travelling tool bargain sales at our local VFW for under $400. I run all types of air tools including an HPLV gun, impact gun, grinders, plasma cutter, etc. I plumbed quick connects to central spots around my shop with standard copper. I haven't had it fall behind anything. I sprayed about 150 ft. of fence last weekend and it only kicked on every 15 minutes or so of continuous spraying. I've found that the quality of the tool really matters. I have a cheapy Harbor Freight grinder and it seemed to waste air. I replaced it with a mid-priced Husky and it made a huge diff. So I say spend your money on the tools. I think the decision on cheap vs. higher-end compressor comes down to what you use it for. I'm a hobbyist. My el cheapo is perfect for me. If I was making a living off it...I would be against a unit like mine. Size-wise tho....This thing can handle whatever one operator can throw at it.

I thought about buying a 220 compressor, but I decided to get a 110. It does what I want at a lower price and is pretty convenient since I just plug it in to any outlet. If need be I can move it to anywhere and just plug it in or run an extension cord. I like that flexibility and the lower price of the 110. Since I'm not a mechanic and spend most of my time just monkeying around it works well for me. I don't think mine would run a grinder though, so I just bought an electric. It has worked well so far for the impact gun, air ratchet and my air finish nailer.

That would work good for most people, but you will spend some timer waiting on it to refill if you are using an impact gun repeatedly.

i have this one in my shop

http://www.lowes.com/pd_221580-14989-LLA4508065_?PL=1&productId=3115865

its a kobalt 80 gallon, 220. it does a great job of filling tires with air, which is about the majority of what i use it for.

in my house garage, i have a 22 gallon husky---it does not have the juice to run a big impact gun, but is fine for smaller jobs.

personally, i'd go at least 30 gallons

I got the Kobalt one from Lowes. 60gal, 220v, can't remember the cfm, but I think it was around 12-13 @ 90psi. I'll look up the specs in a minute. I paid $400ish for mine. BEST INVESTMENT EVAR!! It'll run a spray gun and DA sander. If your compressor will run a DA sander, it'll run pretty much anything.

*EDIT* 155 PSI max pressure, 13.4 SCFM @ 40 PSI, 11.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI , 3.7 running HP