Ohio Bike Week

Artmageddon

Pretty sure I'm going to go to Sandusky for Ohio Bike week in June, and I've never been there before.

What is the crowd like? Is it mostly HD, sportbikes, or a good mix? I don't really fit in with either(I ride a metric cruiser), but a good mix would be just fine.

Do people usually camp and party all night or is it better to get a hotel?

Just looking to get a feel for the atmosphere. Thanks!

vrod dave has gone before I think.... I'm not much for the whole drunken idiot festivals, and I can't stand super large groups in small spaces... so I never had an interest in going... but talk to dave he'll give ya first hand knowledge...

It's mostly HD. There were 5 deaths an 15 bikes stolen last year. Trailer park really sums it up. I live 10 mins from Sandusky an that is the worst week to be out riding around here. Alot of drunk inexperienced riders. Ceder Point and other places are pushing to have it taken down to just a weekend deal. Plus this year Star Boyz Stunt fest will be held in Santown during bike week. So you'll have all the wannabe stunters causing problems to.

I can't comment on the bikes being stolen, but there was definitely not 5 deaths. There were 8 deaths in the entire area for the whole season, but not a single one during bike week. If you choose to ride while drunk, you can expect to get pulled over though. Would be nice to see more sport riders in the area to even out the numbers with the HDs too.

well i have never been. I may plan on goin this year. Last year i went to one in erie penn. That was pretty good. I think that i am planning on goin to both this yr. maybe just staying one nite up in sandusky. there is also one in Marrisville that i we had went to that was ok.

I thought the quote about the deaths seemed a bit high, I think there would have been more news about that, and I would think it wouldn't be continued if so. I searched the web for any info to back this up, and could not find anything.

I've been to rallies before and I don't mind a party, and the bike stays parked once I start drinking. Not saying nothing can ever happen to me, but I try to lower my odds of being a statistic.

I don't really mind the HD crowd either, and I'm not looking to hook up so the what the crowd looks like is not important to me. I just don't want to walk into an Easy Rider Rodeo atmosphere and get harassed because I don't ride a certain type of bike.

I figured this would draw a younger crowd with good mix of riders. Maybe I'm wrong.

I also saw some threads from last year about a group of Ohio Riders going up that I think never happened, maybe it should be taken into consideration this year.

I was there last year with the whole family we had fun....I always find the way to have safe fun.....we stayed in the Days Inn on 250. Some sport riders came down from Michigan, Minnesota...no problem makers at the hotel. The Perkins police was very strict atleast no BS around 250. We are usually pretty accommodating and don't complain about most things but that may be different personally.

This in a nutshell:

1. It's a 75% harley, 25% sport show.

2. Lotta bike for sure, some good bands...

3. Around Sundusky I didn't see any BS riding due to cops in every block.

4. In the fairground....yes lot of people, drunk, lotta different attitude and fair like environment but nothing bothered me.

5. Year before last there were some deaths and I assume thats why the cops stepped up last year exactly like AMA superbike event in Mansfield.

I am planning to go this year as well. But thats me...consider the other opinions.....what I am OK with may not be what you are comfortable with.

I can't comment on the bikes being stolen, but there was definitely not 5 deaths. There were 8 deaths in the entire area for the whole season, but not a single one during bike week. If you choose to ride while drunk, you can expect to get pulled over though. Would be nice to see more sport riders in the area to even out the numbers with the HDs too.

WRONG! The deaths were riders leaving the event. THey did not happen in town.All of them were on back roads around the area. I know of 5 off the top of my head that DIDNT happen during bike week so your 8 for the whole season is also wrong.

It's mostly HD. There were 5 deaths an 15 bikes stolen last year. Trailer park really sums it up. I live 10 mins from Sandusky an that is the worst week to be out riding around here. Alot of drunk inexperienced riders. Ceder Point and other places are pushing to have it taken down to just a weekend deal. Plus this year Star Boyz Stunt fest will be held in Santown during bike week. So you'll have all the wannabe stunters causing problems to.

I was really curious to find out if the stats you provided were true since I could not find one single article on the internet about deaths during Ohio Bike Week.

I have a friend that is in the State Patrol and he put me in touch with a Sargent in the motorcycle division, and he said that is not true.

He stated the event in Sandusky is one of the safer motorcycle events statewide. While there have been accidents in the past, most are from guys leaving the event and going on back roads drunk and trying to stunt. He even specified that it is typically young, inexperienced sportbike riders that this happens too, so be careful and smart if this is the type of riding you do.

He said that accidents are rare at the actual event, and that Ohio Bike Week is just a really large, expanded version of a Bike Night at QSL. With a little vigilance, most people should be able to go and have a good time safely.

Now some other events, like the Chillicothe Rodeo, are another story. That should be avoided, with lots of gangs and overall rowdiness.

I was really surprised to hear both of the troopers talk about the amount of motorcycle gang activity in Ohio. It's hidden, but it is very much there.

I just wanted to post this to set the facts straight so this post does not deter anyone from going. I did not ask about the thefts, so I have no info about that.

I was really curious to find out if the stats you provided were true since I could not find one single article on the internet about deaths during Ohio Bike Week.

I have a friend that is in the State Patrol and he put me in touch with a Sargent in the motorcycle division, and he said that is not true.

He stated the event in Sandusky is one of the safer motorcycle events statewide. While there have been accidents in the past, most are from guys leaving the event and going on back roads drunk and trying to stunt. He even specified that it is typically young, inexperienced sportbike riders that this happens too, so be careful and smart if this is the type of riding you do.

He said that accidents are rare at the actual event, and that Ohio Bike Week is just a really large, expanded version of a Bike Night at QSL. With a little vigilance, most people should be able to go and have a good time safely.

Now some other events, like the Chillicothe Rodeo, are another story. That should be avoided, with lots of gangs and overall rowdiness.

I was really surprised to hear both of the troopers talk about the amount of motorcycle gang activity in Ohio. It's hidden, but it is very much there.

I just wanted to post this to set the facts straight so this post does not deter anyone from going. I did not ask about the thefts, so I have no info about that.

I am with ya 100%.....may I tag along with ya....and anybody else ?

I am with ya 100%.....may I tag along with ya....and anybody else ?

You are more than welcome to go with us. I'm pretty sure I'm going up with one guy on a gixxer and another in a cage.

We will be leaving Thursday, June 11 in the morning, heading back Sunday the 14th whenever we wake up.

I'm not sure if I'm camping or getting a room yet, I'll leave it up to anyone that wants to roll together to get their own accommodations. I've been finding some decent prices on hotels, I may go that route.

You are more than welcome to go with us. I'm pretty sure I'm going up with one guy on a gixxer and another in a cage.

We will be leaving Thursday, June 11 in the morning, heading back Sunday the 14th whenever we wake up.

I'm not sure if I'm camping or getting a room yet, I'll leave it up to anyone that wants to roll together to get their own accommodations. I've been finding some decent prices on hotels, I may go that route.

Thanks a lot.....I will keep the dates in mind, even if we don't roll together and can always meet you guys up there. I will PM ya when we get close.