using salt question...?

SRTurbo04

Well the fiance slipped on our stairs last night and bruised her back really bad(might go to the er in a bit ). so my question is our stairs in our back porch going to our garage are wooden and under the stairs is concreate...

ive heard the salt tears apart wood and concreate, is this true? if so is there anythign i can do to put on the stairs to lower the chances of slipping on them?

the stairs werent wet and looked ok but was a solid sheet of ice.

Be a gentleman and lay your coat on the ground for her man. Com-on!

she walked out first :lol: also i walked into the house not even 10 minuites prior and it was ok.

but i do need to figure it out asap google sucks for trying to figure out what works and doesnt

hmm i see the ice melt is ok for wood but most arent ok for concreate. DAMMMM haha.

Lay down a small tarp under the stairs if you're worried about the concrete, I wouldn't be concerned its not like the concrete is going to just fall apart in a couple years. Hose it off when it warms up.

Lay down a small tarp under the stairs if you're worried about the concrete, I wouldn't be concerned its not like the concrete is going to just fall apart in a couple years. Hose it off when it warms up.

don't listen to this. we used ice melt at the dealership for a winter out of necessity, even on the concrete pad. within weeks we could tell it was getting shredded around the corners, and by the next spring it looked awful.

cliffs: do not use ice melt on concrete.

don't listen to this. we used ice melt at the dealership for a winter out of necessity, even on the concrete pad. within weeks we could tell it was getting shredded around the corners, and by the next spring it looked awful.

:confused: My parents have used at their house for years, maybe we aren't talking about the same thing, but their concrete looks fine.

+1, i used it ONCE at my new house a few years ago and the front porch has been FUCKED ever since, and it was fine for decades before. DO NOT USE SALT ON CONCRETE.

If the stairs are what were iced, get some of the grippie traction surface. You know, the stuff that is like sandpaper. Adhere it to the stairs. That might help a bit. Also, drill some holes every few inches to allow water to seep out.

Or, you could look into that barbed metal stuff (used on industrial type stairs). Add it on in the Winter, and take it off in the Spring.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

That's weird. I dont' have any real experience with salting but I know my neighbors salt every year for the past 10-15yrs on their concrete driveway and it's no worse for wear. I'm guessing it depends on the concrete. They're not all created equally.

That's problem with the concrete then. If curred right it won't do that. I'm in the salt and calcium business

That's problem with the concrete then. If curred right it won't do that. I'm in the salt and calcium business

I have lived in my house for 13 years now, and salt the piss out of my sidewalks, porch, and back patio. I live across the street from a school, so I don't want sued because some little kid busts their ass. I go through at least 6-10 bags a year, and my sidewalks look fine.

its not like the concrete is going to just fall apart in a couple years. Hose it off when it warms up.

you would be surprised how fast salt trashes concrete. some of the concrete i have had to do major repair to was less than 2 years old.

not so much the cure but the mix. it seems the newer stuff isn't mixed like the older stuff. the old stuff can take as much salt as you want and be good to go. the new stuff not so much.